• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Loxton Street School

Problems of overcrowding at Loxton Street School in 1956. Inclined to agree with the caption, it does look similar to a prison! Viv.

image.jpeg

I remember this photo it was published in a magazine
It was described looking like a prison ,in a way it was
but that's all that we new

Hi Lenny I'm Brian Pearce from Oak Cottages. I'm
also a member of Loxton School History Group.
We meet Monday morning between 10 and 12 o'clock.
Kenny Taylor is also a member and we would like
to see you. Please reply. Regards Brian Pearce.

Hi, sometime ago i was asked to post this photo by a member of the Randel family who lived in Dolman St near Gills the chemists its a Loxton St class in 1902 one of the pupils is there Gt, Gt , Gt grandfatherLoxton Street School.JPG

hi I new Vince & most of the names mentioned from Locko my name is Len Whittington (whitty) i was best mates with Moss Duffield he mentioned that he had seen you in cornwall while on holiday , we often walked along vauxhall rd with Alan Kavanagh ,you took me to join the army cadet force up Alum Rock I also took your uniform back when you left , sadly Moss passed away in late 2003 age 60
Better late than never, but I'm Vince's wife Maureen. Have passed your message on and he remembers being in the Army Cadet Force well. It was the Royal Warwickshires. He also remembers your name but can't place your face (he is 75 now and getting on a bit!).
We moved to Newquay in 1974 and lost touch with most people in Brum. Moss Duffield was a good friend of his, and we're still in touch with his wife Gay.

Last edited:
Like most of us this age the memory is not so good
The plus is we are still here , i wonder just how many of that year at Locco are still left .After Vince left the army cadets we became the R.E.M.E being the barracks that's where attached to Washwood Heath became the Royal Signals keep safe and well regards Leo

Does anyone remember me Charles (Charlie) Ingram, I was at Loxton Street Junior School until about 1958 when I moved with my family to Handsworth Wood. My dad was the caretaker of Loxton Street and we obviously lived at No. 24 the caretakers house.

I was then a small blonde haired wimp [yes it is true], I still have the blonde hair :^)

It would be great to talk to someone who knew me then.

Does anyone remember me Charles (Charlie) Ingram, I was at Loxton Street Junior School until about 1958 when I moved with my family to Handsworth Wood. My dad was the caretaker of Loxton Street and we obviously lived at No. 24 the caretakers house.

I was then a small blonde haired wimp [yes it is true], I still have the blonde hair :^)

Hi sir Charles, I do remember you , my name is Susan Keating do you remember Susan Blackwell@ Stuart but I do not remember his Surname.

With apologies if I've already posted this before. Was anyone killed during the building of Loxton Street School. If so, it was an ancestor of my husband.

Hi,
I was at Loxton Street boys seniors between 1945 and 1950, and seem to remember a gent called Bransbury Williams visiting and sitting on the stage doing characters from Dickens, does anyone remember this or am I dreaming again?
Regards.
Alan Pickering.

I can remember Bransby William's monologues, and particularly the Ballad of Dan McGrew, from one of the BCT Accountant's Dinners in about 1958, when a member of the Accounrts Office did his version of that monologue. My contribution that night was a rendition of Chopin's Polonaise in A and being part of a rather amateurish skiffle group, which was all the rage at that time. I did have one photograph taken that night, but goodness knows where it is now!

Bransby Williams must have been approaching 80 years old at the time of that Loxton Street appearance then.

Maurice :cool:

Trying to track family history stories on my nans side. My Great Grandmother was Emily Granny Haynes (died 1960) of Erksine Street. My mum Maureen Shelley spent lots of time there and is the cousin of Garry Lynch. Any info or memories would be appreciated.

Hi Len I do remember you and your mate's, Barry Taylor , Maurice Duffield. Brian as told me
There was another friend his nick name was Ada? I also remember your brother Terry and Garry lynch, David Pugh, & Stewart Ward who lived opposite your house's.
Brian and I went back down Erskine St on Tuesday, remembering the good old days, can you remember, the Goodman's ,Conlon's ,Dank's ,Ward's ,Power's,
Brian and I was trying to place who lived where in your yard.? We think that Gerry lynch's nan ? lived in the first house next to the ally way. then pugh's then lynch 's then yourself 's I also remember
Two ladies both called Kate's. Brain wish's to be remembered to you & Terry.
Rob Pearce
My Great Grandmother Haynes lived at 38. Garry Lynch & family at 32. My mum and Gary are cousins. She spent a lot of time there so you may remember her... Maureen Shelley??

John Fulwell was my Dad - he passed away March 1996 :(
Just a week before my Nan (his mother Gwen Fulwell )
I was just searching the surname on here and saw this post x
I remember John Fulwell (your Dad) very well. We were in the same classes at school and we were friends. So sorry to hear that he had such a short life. Thank you for letting us all know

Hi Alexander. Im sure you will find someone here that went to Locco between those years. There are a few members that did. Unfortunately, I went between '54-'64, so would be no help to you. But dont give up, it will come good in the end. Best of luck, Barry.
You are Barry Morley and I claim the £5! It's Roger Smith here. Do you remember going swimming at Nechells baths?

my name is frank smith, i went to loxton street in 1946 to 1950, does anyone remember me, some classmates names are, albert taroni, david taylor, arthur chinock, frankie thomas, johnny king, austin herbert, ray cridge, these were class 4a, mr simkins class i think
My name is Roger Smith and I also went to Loxton Street school it would be nice to chat to you

I have added an album to my public profile Two pictures of Loxton St.
one of the Maths room and one of the Pottery room taken after I left.
Also a photo of Miss Jean Johns who was a friend of Miss Mary Lumsden, I had a crush on both of them even at a very young age but Miss Lumsden was lovely.
I remember both those ladies - Miss Johns used to play the piano, if I recall correctly, and somewhere - Lord knows where - I still have an autograph book signed by her and by Mary Lumsden.

Back