• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Looking for my birth father Harold Reginald hart

Finley 9 go

proper brummie kid
I am daughter ov Harold Reginald hart born 1899 roughly , I was born in 1942 , my mam was from durham she worked in munitions at Birmingham . She met Harold there , I think but don’t know if he was married or not , he took my mam 2 meet his family in Birmingham , 2 his mams n sisters houses , I would love 2 find info about him as I never knew him or met him , any info would b great . Regards Valerie .

If Harold was born in England or Wales then there seems to be only one birth registration for an Harold Reginald Hart around that time and he was born West Ham 15 Nov 1901. Unfortunately not all registrations included the child's middle name, which could have been an after thought.

However, the Harold Reginald born West Ham appears to have a Bham connection, marrying here in 1930 (Margaret Cadby) and possibly listed on the 1927ER in Bham. In 1939 he is living Cambridge and his death is registered Bury 1983.

I will look to see if any of his sister's lived in Bham.

If Harold was born in England or Wales then there seems to be only one birth registration for an Harold Reginald Hart around that time and he was born West Ham 15 Nov 1901. Unfortunately not all registrations included the child's middle name, which could have been an after thought.

However, the Harold Reginald born West Ham appears to have a Bham connection, marrying here in 1930 (Margaret Cadby) and possibly listed on the 1927ER in Bham. In 1939 he is living Cambridge and his death is registered Bury 1983.

I will look to see if any of his sister's lived in Bham.
I am grateful 4 any help , I’ve been doing family tree and I have come up with the same name as you have , so hopefully I’m on the right track . Regards valerie

Only query I have is - you say he took your Mom to visit his family in Birmingham - so did the family move from West Ham?

It doesn't appear so. The problem with him is that neither of his two sisters seem to have moved to Bham either.

It doesn't appear so. The problem with him is that neither of his two sisters seem to have moved to Bham either.
That is the worry I had as well.
Trouble is if he was reg as just Harold Hart then it is like a needle in a haystack. Is he named on the birth cert? If so is there an occupation?

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Only query I have is - you say he took your Mom to visit his family in Birmingham - so did the family move from West Ham?
I have no idea at all my mam never spoke much about it she was ashamed as it was sinful in those days , all she said was he took her 2 his mams and sisters house and as she workin munitions 12 hour shifts I just assumed it was Birmingham , sorry only other info is she had an affiliation order and he had 2 pay for me , I think it was in Durham , regards valerie

That is the worry I had as well.
Trouble is if he was reg as just Harold Hart then it is like a needle in a haystack. Is he named on the birth cert? If so is there an occupation?
No not on my certificate but I remember the affiliation order mam had and I only remember Harold no mention ov Reginald only other thing I know is he was married n older than my mam x valerie

No not on my certificate but I remember the affiliation order mam had and I only remember Harold no mention ov Reginald only other thing I know is he was married n older than my mam x valerie
We found a travelling salesman but not sure if it’s right x

I tried 2 get a copy ov this order but Durham say you can’t only after 100 years x

So you know his name was Harold - no proof that it was Harold Reginald - he was older than your mom and married. He met your mom in Bham and took her to see his mom and sister, who were living in Bham.

No other clues? Mom or sister's name? How old was your mom? Not disputing it but seems strange back then to take another woman to see your family if you were married.

So you know his name was Harold - no proof that it was Harold Reginald - he was older than your mom and married. He met your mom in Bham and took her to see his mom and sister, who were living in Bham.

No other clues? Mom or sister's name? How old was your mom? Not disputing it but seems strange back then to take another woman to see your family if you were married.
Yeah we know that but mam was very quiet n she told me this ,, we couldn’t understand why they didn’t say he was married . As any normal family would , when his sister found out that mam was holding case in Durham 4 maintenance his sister had called her names n said he wouldn’t sign then realised he would have 2 come 2 Durham she. Said ok he’ll sign and I saw this order when I was young very young , I thought 4 years maybe his family were not around because it was war time but can’t find any excuse 4 what he n they did 2 her . Regards valerie

Yeah we know that but mam was very quiet n she told me this ,, we couldn’t understand why they didn’t say he was married . As any normal family would , when his sister found out that mam was holding case in Durham 4 maintenance his sister had called her names n said he wouldn’t sign then realised he would have 2 come 2 Durham she. Said ok he’ll sign and I saw this order when I was young very young , I thought 4 years maybe his family were not around because it was war time but can’t find any excuse 4 what he n they did 2 her . Regards valerie
My mam was 23 she was born 1919 x

There are only 2 married Harold Harts listed in Bham on the 1939 register.

And a real coincidence one of them grew up in the same house I grew up in (60 years later). My dad bought our house from his parents.

There are only 2 married Harold Harts listed in Bham on the 1939 register.

And a real coincidence one of them grew up in the same house I grew up in (60 years later). My dad bought our house from his parents.
It is a real coincidence hopefully I am getting somewhere with it , and thankyou 4 all your help , guy I do computer classes with has been helping me with it , but I told him I didn’t think it was right one cos ov age gap , and location cos mam never mentioned anywhere but brum , I wish she would have told me more but she was ashamed and it wasn’t her fault , lots ov gaps in this x

There appears to be another married Harold Hart living in Bham around that time, though he doesn't seem to listed on 1939 register (his wife is). He's a bit older than the other 2, Harold Charles b1891. The other 2 were born 1910 and 1913.

There appears to be another married Harold Hart living in Bham around that time, though he doesn't seem to listed on 1939 register (his wife is). He's a bit older than the other 2, Harold Charles b1891. The other 2 were born 1910 and 1913.
It is so kind ov you all 2 help me I’ve been curious about where my fathers family were and lots ov things I d like 2 know , we got lots ov names as you said on fam tree but without a date ov birth so many with same name n I’m not great on computer , Jon was convinced we had it right but age 2 bid a gap was my feeling x

I now think you can rule out the elder Harold Hart, his mom appears to die in 1924.

You could always try dna and hope to match with a relative of his, a cousin or second cousin even (or descendants) could be enough. Though there's no guarantees of a match.

I now think you can rule out the elder Harold Hart, his mom appears to die in 1924.

You could always try dna and hope to match with a relative of his, a cousin or second cousin even (or descendants) could be enough. Though there's no guarantees of a match.
I thought ov that n tried a few places even Salvation Army but they said it might take years n I don’t have that long , thankyou 4 your help it’s been great xxvalerie

Most genealogy sites do dna these days. My understanding is that it doesn't take long for them to send you the kit or process it (6-8 weeks for Ancestry). Once that's done and you're on their system you could theoretically match straightaway.

I know there are members who have done a test so hopefully one will be able to give a bit more information.

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
Most genealogy sites do dna these days. My understanding is that it doesn't take long for them to send you the kit or process it (6-8 weeks for Ancestry). Once that's done and you're on their system you could theoretically match straightaway.

I know there are members who have done a test so hopefully one will be able to give a bit more information.
Yes I know John ghe computer guy said the same , xvalerie xx

I did an Ancestry DNA test about 2 years ago. I was advised results would take approximately 8 weeks but I received them after 6 weeks - however I understand they are taking a little longer at the moment.

Ancestry DNA test results can be uploaded to other sites - unlike other DNA tests which cannot be uploaded to Ancestry.

I understand Ancestry has the biggest DNA database.

William.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I did an Ancestry DNA test about 2 years ago. I was advised results would take approximately 8 weeks but I received them after 6 weeks - however I understand they are taking a little longer at the moment.

Ancestry DNA test results can be uploaded to other sites - unlike other DNA tests which cannot be uploaded to Ancestry.

William.
Yes probably covid , I’m thinking bout doing it , I don’t know anything about my dad but my sister n me talked about it last night . About mam saying she went 2 his mams n sisters houses , and now we are confused about it x

William.
i am grateful 4 the reply’s I’ve had any help is great xxvalerie

Back