• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Location of Brewery Lane, Deritend, Birmingham - circa 1841

Now-Slow-Eddie

Deritend doesn't seem to have a Brewery Lane anymore - browsed through the Brewery Section without getting any clues. My great grandfather was born on Brewery Lane, Deritend in 1841 (his father was a Bellows Maker), and I was wondering which Brewery this Lane would be connected to, and where exactly this Brewery Lane used to be. I'm also looking into Bellows Making businesses.

There was a Deritend Brewery in the 1860s in Moseley Street. This business discontinued in 1866.

Source : British Newspaper Archive

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231231_131518_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231231_131518_Chrome.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 3
I wonder if it was/became part of Alcester St.

On the 1841 census Alcester St is listed before and after Brewery Lane.

By 1851 Brewery Lane appears to have become Brewery St - a John Bragg and family is listed on Brewery Lane in 1841 and Brewery St in 1851.

By 1861 Brewery St appears to have been absorbed into Alcester St - John Bragg's widow is now listed on Alcester St as are a John Cadman and a William Cadman (different household), all 3 of which whom listed on Brewery St in 1851.

Brewery Lane doesn't appear to be on the 1839 map. Either way appears to be in that area.

Yes I think so. I've extracted this from the Warstone and Deritend Brewery thread. Deritend Brewery separated from Warstone Lane Brewery in the 1830s. The Deritend brewery site occupied both Moseley and Alcester Streets. Link to that thread here

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231231_134534_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231231_134534_Samsung Internet.jpg
    551.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I wonder if it was/became part of Alcester St.

On the 1841 census Alcester St is listed before and after Brewery Lane.

By 1851 Brewery Lane appears to have become Brewery St - a John Bragg and family is listed on Brewery Lane in 1841 and Brewery St in 1851.

By 1861 Brewery St appears to have been absorbed into Alcester St - John Bragg's widow is now listed on Alcester St as are a John Cadman and a William Cadman (different household), all 3 of which whom listed on Brewery St in 1851.

Brewery Lane doesn't appear to be on the 1839 map. Either way appears to be in that area.
Brewery St is listed in the 1867 Kellys as next to no 197 Darwin St, which is very close to the end of the streetafter Salop and hollie rSt, and so would be almost Alcester St (which is not listed as connecting to it). so I think MWS is correct

From Showells Dictionary the brewery was one of the earliest on a large scale and goes back to the 1780s.

"In the days of old nearly every publican and innkeeper was his own brewer, the fame of his house depending almost solely on the quality of the "stingo" he could pour out to his customers. The first local brewery on a large scale appears to have been that erected in Moseley Street in 1782, which even down to late years retained its cognomen of the Birmingham Old Brewery"

Last edited:
And would the bellows maker have been Onions (later Alldays & Onions )? Located in nearby Bradford Street too. There's a thread here
Screenshot_20231231_162901_Google.jpg

Back