• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Liqourice Root & New Tarmac?

Anyone remember "Dr. Collis Browns Mixture"? I was a cough medicine with Morphine as its main ingredient! Oh, and when I tell my sons that as a child at school, we had a Dental Truck arrive in the playground, and we had to have our teeth inspected, and once I had to have one out.....don't worry I will get to my point......I had a choice of.....wait for it......COCAINE OR GAS! they look at me as if I am having a laugh! But it IS true, anyone else remember?

The original Collis Brown's mixture was withdrawn in the 70's ( I think ) as people were using it to get high.
It was then reintroduced in a much diluted form in a larger bottle, I think you may possibly still be able to buy it.

Hi! Anyone remember sticks of LIQUORICE ROOT, that we chewed for ages, until the juice was all gone? Plus, did anyone pick up up chunks of what we called "Chewin Tar", from of the roadside, when the men were laying fresh tarmac? Or.....was it just me?

I chewed many a stick of liquorice root Gerry , I must say never tried the tar though

The liquorice was kids stuff. When you got older then it might be baccy - twist I believe was the choice.

I've never tried that either although I smoked a pipe using the tobacco flakes and also the hand rolling tobacco , from what I heard though chewing baccy it leads to all sorts of problems in the mouth

.OWhen I was about 12-13 about 1952 we had a new family move in next door.A mother with a girl about 20 and a boy same age as me named David.Quite often a big American car would come to their house and out would get 2 American soldiers and a Ginger Rogers look alike.This was David's sister.One day while we were playing he said have you ever tried Chewing Tobbaco and Buorbon Whiskey,Isaid no so he gave me some.it nearly burnt my mouth out it was so hot and only had a sip of the bourbon that was so sweet but didn't like it

Back