• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Liqourice Root & New Tarmac?

Gerry Cannell

master brummie
Hi! Anyone remember sticks of LIQUORICE ROOT, that we chewed for ages, until the juice was all gone? Plus, did anyone pick up up chunks of what we called "Chewin Tar", from of the roadside, when the men were laying fresh tarmac? Or.....was it just me?

Hi! Anyone remember sticks of LIQUORICE ROOT, that we chewed for ages, until the juice was all gone? Plus, did anyone pick up up chunks of what we called "Chewin Tar", from of the roadside, when the men were laying fresh tarmac? Or.....was it just me?

Liquorice root.. lovely :yum but chewing :eek:tarmac haha, liked the smell of it though .

i picked it up and smellt it.but never did eat any A.dark viscous material that holds the aggregates together, and is composed of polycyclic hydrocarbons (a petroleum byproduct).

Last edited:
I chewed the root but never the tar. We certainly picked up tar. Great smell!
Mum would use butter to help get it off! Brings back memories of Bre Rabbit and the Tar-Baby, which is probably illegal now.

we used to get it all over us when we lived in nechells we would go in the tar distillers down aston church rd.
then over the cut. we would stink of the stuff. it was not a nice smell like the hot road stuff.never even though about eating it.
or chewing it.did i miss some thing?

Loved to walk down Devon St past ST Anne's school and smell we were told tar fumes.They smelt great.Someone told us they were good if you had a cold.

we used to get it all over us when we lived in nechells we would go in the tar distillers down aston church rd.
then over the cut. we would stink of the stuff. it was not a nice smell like the hot road stuff.never even though about eating it.
or chewing it.did i miss some thing?
Yo Dane Arf!

Anyone remember COALTAR SOAP? Or Coal Tar Lamps, which were lit by a small tealight. Gave off an aroma of tar at night when you had a cold....?

There's a sweet shop in Broadstairs in Kent that sells Liquorice Sticks ,Oldfashion Humbugs,Lemon Sherbet,Bon- Bons and loads of old fashion sweets we had as kids.even pineapple rock

Anyone remember "Dr. Collis Browns Mixture"? I was a cough medicine with Morphine as its main ingredient! Oh, and when I tell my sons that as a child at school, we had a Dental Truck arrive in the playground, and we had to have our teeth inspected, and once I had to have one out.....don't worry I will get to my point......I had a choice of.....wait for it......COCAINE OR GAS! they look at me as if I am having a laugh! But it IS true, anyone else remember?

Gerry sure do.At the COOP dentist in Corporation ST.first time I ever had Cocaine.Wonder if it's what they take today.Didnt make me happy with a lump of Cotton wool stuck in my mouth to stop the blood:laughing::laughing:

I think it's derivative of lidocaine used in dentristry today. Just checked and not far out - Common local anesthetics are 2% lidocaine hydrochloride and 2% mepivacaine (Carbocaine).

Maurice

I remember , later on, when I went to the dentist, as a youngster, they had another advancement to Cocaine, it was called Sucaine. Perhaps I should have bagged a few ton at age 5! :oops::oops::oops: That IS a joke Officer!

Back