• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lingard street fire station

mewla4

proper brummie kid
I have just come across letter written by my great uncle to my grandmother from the fire station at lingard street. I knew he was a fireman although he was dead before i knew him, unfortunatly i only have a date of 30th August with no year so would like to try and get some idea of a year as the letter contains useful info.

I have seen a photo of Lingard St Fire Station and it had been turned into a car repair garage with 3 over the pavement type petrol pumps, i have searched the net but cannot find it yet. Len.

thanks phil

have just had a quick look and think i shall have to get special dispensation from her indoors to sit and follow that thread ( perhaps i should wait till she goes out) am sure that ther would be other info in there somewhere

When Lingard Street fire station closed in 1958 it was left empty for a few years. When reopened it was turned into factory that made bodywork for fire engines called David Haydon. Haydon more commonly called became the main agents for Magirus Ladders in the UK post war and supplied the two rare Leyland Firemaster Turntable Ladders to Darlington CBFB 999 MHN and Wolverhampton CBFB 9990 DA and pumping appliances to Manchester and Glasgow. In 1961, Haydon's supplied the City of Birmingham FB with two Magirus Turntable Ladders on Bedford TK chassis, 375 EOX at Central and 376 EOX at Highgate. Carlisile City FB also had a Haydon bodied Turntable ladder BHH385B on a Commer C7 chassis as did many more and the majority of the City of Glasgow Fire Service's AEC pumping appliances came out of the Lingard Street facility but I have no idea when David Haydon's closed and the fire station was demolished?

When Lingard Street fire station closed in 1958 it was left empty for a few years. When reopened it was turned into factory that made bodywork for fire engines called David Haydon. Haydon more commonly called became the main agents for Magirus Ladders in the UK post war and supplied the two rare Leyland Firemaster Turntable Ladders to Darlington CBFB 999 MHN and Wolverhampton CBFB 9990 DA and pumping appliances to Manchester and Glasgow. In 1961, Haydon's supplied the City of Birmingham FB with two Magirus Turntable Ladders on Bedford TK chassis, 375 EOX at Central and 376 EOX at Highgate. Carlisile City FB also had a Haydon bodied Turntable ladder BHH385B on a Commer C7 chassis as did many more and the majority of the City of Glasgow Fire Service's AEC pumping appliances came out of the Lingard Street facility but I have no idea when David Haydon's closed and the fire station was demolished?
It is widely believed by fire engine enthusiasts that David Haydon did not actually build appliances at Lingard Street, where there wasn't room to swing a cat, but they sub-contracted the coachwork/fire engineering to other companies. Can you throw any light or expand on this?

Back