• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lichfield Street, Birmingham

hi folks does anyone have a photo of the rose and crown that was in lichfield st please...im sure i had one but cant seen to locate it...

cheers

lyn

Lyn

The Rose & Crown Lichfield St (Corporation St).

Attachments

• City Lichfield St (Corporation St ) Rose & Crown between Old Square & Newton St..jpg
    City Lichfield St (Corporation St ) Rose & Crown between Old Square & Newton St..jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 61
thats great phil thank you....phil do you know what number the pub was at

and would anyone know if there was also a pub call the queens head in lichfield st...

thanks folks

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn
The Rose & Crown was at no 101. I cannot find a Queens Head in the street in the directories, but it could always be a beerhouse. There is a Nags Head.

This is another Lichfield St pub c1880 The Old Farriers Arms. Wasn't the Queens Head around the corner in Steelhouse Lane, I think it is still there today well a replacement anyway.

Attachments

• City Lichfield St (Corporation St) Old Farriers Arms 1880.jpg
    City Lichfield St (Corporation St) Old Farriers Arms 1880.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 33
thanks mike and phil...phil i think your pic of the farriers arms is the one i had...im going to have to speak to the person who is seeking help on this to confirm just what pub he is on about...will get back to you...

lyn

thanks mike i think they are researching someone who lived close to the pub so i do need to make more enquires before i send you all on a wild goose chase lol..

My g.g. grandfather John Raybould was the landlord of the Rose & Crown in 1841- John Houghton sent me a photo as shown above in 2006, the address I was given was court 16, 79 and a half, Lichfield /street. John said he believed in 1878 the Rose & Crown was at 104 Lichfield Street. Was the street subject to re-numbering as so many were.

hi mike and phil...what i am actually looking for is a photo of the ebenezer chapel that was in steelhouse lane next to the queens head pub...it was demolished round about 1932...at no 18 was william greenway then came the glovers almeshouses.. then the chapel and at no 22 was the queens head pub...

mike i wonder if you could post a map please marking out where the chapel and the glovers almeshouses were

many thanks and also for any photos of the chapel would be great

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn

The Ebenezer Chapel stood in Steelhouse Lane from 1818 to 1929

Attachments

• City Steelhouse Lane  Ebenezer Chapel 1818 - 1929.JPG
    City Steelhouse Lane Ebenezer Chapel 1818 - 1929.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 28
Lyn

This is a photo of the Queens Head, the building on it's right would be the one wing of the alms-house's the recessed part would be where the chapel was and next to that would have been the other wing of the alms-house's.

Attachments

• City Queens Head Steelhouse Lane.jpg
    City Queens Head Steelhouse Lane.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 47
Lyn
Is this map OK, or do you want a smaller scale one?

Sylvia
The numbering in Steelhouse lane does appear to have been altered between 1852 and 1855, with all the numbers around this area being increased.

map_c_1889_showing_ebeneezer_chapel_2C_queens_head_and_glover_almshouses.jpg

phil ive just done a street walk so would i be correct in thinking that the chapel and almshouses was where the old bell nicholson building now stands...

lyn

Lyn

Yes that would be correct, in this image the purple building is the Queens Head and the Lloyds Bank that was in the Bell Nicholson building next door was where the Alms Houses and Chapel was.

Attachments

• Steelhouse Lane.JPG
    Steelhouse Lane.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 24
thanks phil..im pleased to know that getting ready for the festive season has not dulled my brain lol...i used to work at bell nicholsons...

thanks again phil

lyn

The half sighted building on the left of the picture just before the pub was the Junenile courts for the under age
And serious Juvenile. Delinqents and would have been sent to mosely road remand centre for social reports. As it was known then
Way back in time for the courts to decide what punishment they would get
They usaly got three weeks detainment for there family back ground reports or they either got 3 months detention by this court
Which was one time in around that period of the cadburys whom in that reign of years Astonian,,,,

Hi Michael, I also have 'relations' with a connection to Lichfield street; Francis Twist (horsedealer family) owned/leased properties there. I'm trying to view your attachments but cannot seem to find a way to open them. Can you help me please? Regards Amanda Jones

I think these were the two photographs that originally were on Michael's post. Note the statement at the top of the home page for an explanation of the loss of early photos.

lichfield_st_1880.jpg

old_Fariers_arms_lichfield_st.jpg

My Great-Great-Grandmother was Mrs Mary Ann Stevens (nee Coles) - who ran "The Old Farriers' Arms" pub - her name can be seen clearly on the front of the building.

I believe the Farriers Arms was 123 Lichfield Street, as the census for 1881 gives 123 as the address for her, her husband and one of her sisters. She was married to James Stevens who, on 17th Nov 1885, died in this pub - aged 46 - may be some kind of fight?

By 1891 she was listed as living in the Vulcan Inn - 79 Glover Street.

Unfortunately, I have no history for the Stevens side of the family prior to 1881 - Although Mary Ann Coles has a lot of history, that is relatively easy to find, James Stevens does not seem to exist prior to 1881 - even their marriage (1st Dec 1861) seems very hard to find documentation for - which is odd, because Mary Ann Coles can be found living with her mother & sisters in the census of 1861 - so it's hard to imagine the man she was about to marry was too far away???

There is a slightly better quality copy of that image here

https://images.birminghamhistory.co.uk/coppermine/albums/userpics/10161/hh.jpeg

I like to imagine the man outside is my Gr-Gr-Grd-Father James Stevens - but it could be just another man leaving a pub.

Last edited:
Back