• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lichfield Street, Birmingham

sylviasayers

master brummie
I have found my g.g. grandfather and family on the 1841 census living in Lichfield STREET, Borough and Parish of Birmingham, occ. Victualler, could anyone tell me if Lichfield Street was the previous name of Lichfield ROAD, and does anyone know the names of any pubs, my g.g. grandfather's name was John Raybould, I have now found him on the 1841, 1851, 1861 and 1871 census' and have the names of a few of the pubs he kept.

this is 1845 it says lichfield street is birmingham 7 it lists the names of pubs do you have a name

79 1/2 Lichfield Street John Raybold Rose and Crown and it's just below Newton street so that would make city centre

My family lived in Lichfield Street from about 1820 at number 45 mostly until it was demolished.
Lichfield Street no longer exists; it used to lead east from The Old Square (where Lewis’s used to be) and led down to Gosta Green, It demolished around 1883 as part of slum clearance when Corporation Street was built. According to William Hutton, the first Birmingham historian, it was built between 1700 and 1731. The Birmingham Parish Workhouse founded 1734 was in Lichfield Street, roughly where the Victoria Law Courts now stand.
You can see it on this map. The second picture is the Farriers Arms in the street and the third is Lichfield Street shortly before it was demolished

Two Photos replaced

The Old Farriers Arms in Lichfield St early 1800s.jpglichfieldst_just before demolition.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael, thank you so much for posting these photos, on the 3rd photo I'm pretty certain is the Rose & Crown pub which my g.g. grandfather kept as on the ornate lamp is an engraving of a rose and crown, wow what a find, may I ask where you obtained the original photo from? I was also interested in the street map, as it showed St. Peter's Church, Dale End, where a number of my ancestors were married/christened, it also shows Staniforth Street where another branch of my family lived.

The map is from 'Upton, Chris: A History of Birmingahm, publishd by Phillimore, 1993. I will have to look through my library to find the picture of the Rose and Crown.

this picture is later than when John Raybold lived in Lichfield street if you look at the number of two doors away it is 103 and in 1845 he lived at 79 i/2 Lichfield street sorry to dissapoint you Sylvia I do believe the it is the Rose and Crown as in 1878 the Rose and Crown was at 104 Lichfield street I will check out the 1858 later, in 1845 they were all courts in Lichfield street this photograph looks like the houses are about to be demolished more research is required on this street

love those pics and it's so important to preserve them because if we want to give future generations an interest in their past then the old saying is so true
"One picture is worth a thousand words" ;)

John - Do you think the numbers in Lichfield Street could have changed over the years? I know in other streets I've researched some renumbering has taken place.

Jerry - how I agree with your sentiments.

YES IN 1845 THEY WERE COURTS LATER THE COURTS HAD GONE THE PICTURE CLARIFIES THAT AS THE ROSE AND CROWN WAS TWO DOORS AWAY FROM 103

Thanks John for clarifying the position. I feel very lucky that you have helped me and that Michael found the photo of the actual pub my g.g. grandad kept in 1841 to at least 1845, I really would not have known a photo existed. I have one problem now - how do I make a hard copy of the photo to keep with my records?

right click on photograph and save as ? what ever program you use for your photographs ( do you have photo software installed) if not it can be done by and sent on to you as a hard copy

John, I am not very computer literate and don't think I have a facility to do a hard copy, if you can do one for me and the map I would be very grateful and would pay any costs involved.

I've remembered where the othe photo came from (the one with 103 Lichfield Street) 'Birmingham - The Making of the Second City 1850 - 1939, by Eric Hopkins, published by Tempus 2001

John, I managed to get a picture of Lichfield Street, but not the pub as I think the picture was too large - any suggestions on what to do next?

Michael, I have made a note of the book and will try and get a copy.
Many thanks to you both for your help.

I hope you dont mind me restarting this thread. Is anyone able to tell me what pub was at 14Lichfield street in 1851, my 3xgrandfather was a retail brewer at that time on the census (Richard Hinton) which was surprising as he was a brassfounder by trade.

Mand

Back