• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lewis's Department Store

Big Gee
I knew I'd seen something on TV about it, but couldn't remember the program
Mike

Does anyone have a picture of the rooftop garden?

Is it true that it was closed to the public because it became a suicide spot?

It was a well known spot for people jumping off if that was the reason it was closed down I don,t know.There appeared to be an article in the Mail every few months regarding some ones sad demise. Dek

The advert for Lewis's Business Suits was definitely Liverpool as the building across the way is the Adelphi Hotel on Lime Street. Do you remember the song "In my Liverpool Home and the line "We Meet under a statue exceedingly bare". That stood over the front door of Lewis's. The store is now a Primark store
View attachment 67458Photo Wikipedia Commons reproduced under public licence

It was a well known spot for people jumping off if that was the reason it was closed down I don,t know.There appeared to be an article in the Mail every few months regarding some ones sad demise. Dek

Dek

I cant say that I remember one single case of anyone jumping off Lewis's roof, not to say that they didn't choose there. I don't suppose it was harder or easier to jump off the roof there than anywhere else. I wouldn't think for one moment that the roof gardens were closed for that reason alone though. I think the dreaded Heath and Safety Executive would have had something to do with it, after all we know how much they dislike people having a good time. I've sorted this photo of the roof garden out though I think it must be a private section as I never saw any part of the roof that wasn't surmounted my high steel fencing.

Phil

]
62bf1a69.jpg

Phil I,m sure there used to be some gruesome saying about jumping off the roof of Lewis,s but I can,t recall at the moment.That photo must be 50s-60s no sign of the fence around the perimeter. Dek

In the other earlier Lewis's thread there are 406 posts with lots of information and photos even from people who worked there, such as shop assistants and managers, and about people who jumped of the roof. One of our members nursed someone who jumped off !
Have a look here...:)
Because this thread was merged with the other Lewis's thread, the link I posted below does not work.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1260&p=4081#post4081

Last edited:
Hi John,
I've just had a drive by with Google Street view, seems to be offices and small shops. I don't suppose we will ever see a store like it again....I visited a lot my earlier days ..I played the 'wag' one afternoon from school to go on the roof.
Phil
oldmohawk..:)

Is the building that was Lewis's still there if so what is it now? John Crump oldBrit

Yes it still exists. It is now called The Minories. Lewis's closed in the early 1990s. Soon after that they refurbished it into The Minories and it opened in 1994.

As oldMohawk says offices and shops.

The Minories - former Lewis's department store (in day light) by ell brown, on Flickr

The Minories - former Lewis's department store at night in Birmingham by ell brown, on Flickr

Inside The Minories at Christmas time - the modern glass ceiling by ell brown, on Flickr

Hi Old Mohawk

I'm glad you mentioned the other Lewis's thread, because when I started these threads I think you will see that I mentioned that " there are numerous photos of some examples of Birmingham’s wonderful architecture on this forum but they give very little detail of the buildings history"

What I was trying to do with this thread was to limit it to the buildings and the actual different phases and development of them through the years. As I have said I am no architect but buildings fascinate me. Not that I want the threads to be dry and finicky, this is why I have allowed a little leeway with the postings.

So I am not trying to draw anybody away from the current threads, but try a new type of thread altogether.

Phil

I remember the real Lewis's Minories i.e the arcade type passageway open at each end through Lewis's. Sometimes there was a howling gale blowing down there. You used to go through the Minories to Lewis's food market. The food market was superb in the early 1960s, freshly baked bread and good cheeses. Used to go there especially on a Saturday to buy these. It was one place you'd always visit on a trip to town. Got my ears pierced there in the basement in the 70 s. I think maybe all the cosmetics section was down there at that time. You could get into the store via an entrance in Priory Queensway subway. Seem to remember a Chinese restaurant under Lewis's in that subway too. Wasn't part of Lewis's and wasn't very authentic Chinese either, but it did cheap, fast food. Viv.

Hi Phil,
I suppose I was answering Dek's comment about the roof. The building still looks in magnificent condition on the photos I look at, I hope it is never demolished. I think I have read somewhere (probably on the forum) that the Lewis's buildings in other cities looked very similar to the B'ham one.
oldmohawk..:)

I don't know wether or not any body did jump off Lewis's but my Mom always used to say that if anybody was a lucky person that if they jumped off Lewis's that they would jump into a new suit. Has any one else heard this saying?

I used to go to 'Pet's Corner' before the war, and remember when the poor man looking after the parrots died. I'm sure it was from a virus carried by parrots but no doubt someone will put me right. Regards, David.

Yes dipsydiva it meant someone was very lucky. There was another one which was, 'If he fell head first down a sewer, he'd come up with a mouth full of cocoa. Regards, David.

i used to love going on to the roof at Lewis,s at easter time there were always baby chicks,bring back the good times

The majority of the old Lewis' building is taken up by courts i.e. Probate, Family Division etc. I believe it opened in its current form in 1993.

I notice that every time I walk through The Minories. Looking at the columns they look rather grand and tall!

Lovely picture Carolina, thank you for posting it. I have got one of my own, but this shows an area of Lower Priory and mine does not - I think you can actually feel what it was like from this photo. Do you remember the toilets in Old Square? I remember using them occasionally, almost scary places to me as a child, but very useful!

Sorry, I put a picture of Snow Hill in this Lewis's thread - I was partly watching the TV over my laptop screen - I've now moved the photo to the Snow Hill thread.

Last edited:
The Lewis Store and Greys for that matter to a child were exciting places. So much to see - so many people of many stratas in life - and the sheer size of it all. A visit to the City - or Town if you prefer - was always something to be enjoyed, even if it was raining or cold. My reminiscences of the Lewis department store was large its lifts/elevators, Pet's Corner (particularly that black and white snake), the children's hairdressing salon with its animals - sadly I was never allowed to go in there - our own hairdresser was preferred, but don't ask me why! Air raid shelters also come to mind but as other stores also had them I can't be sure which ones we entered.

This photo of Lewis's looks maybe 1950's, old cars. The building looks rather sooty maybe the 'smogs' of those days ! The man on the motorbike before the zebra crossing looks as if he might have a Christmas Tree in his sidecar.

Bull_St__Lewis_s.jpg

I really miss Lewis's! One of the best stores in Brum. You could get everything you wanted. Remember queing on the stairs at Christmas when I was a little girl to see Father Christmas and Uncle Holly. As for the Griffins from the roof garden, as said they are on Yorkswood (where I live) and stand proud on the main entrance to the Estate, Horne Way, with wonderful trees. Walk past them and remember Lewis's.

The food market was superb in the early 1960s, freshly baked bread and good cheeses. Used to go there especially on a Saturday to buy these. It was one place you'd always visit on a trip to town. Got my ears pierced there in the basement in the 70 s..
My Aunt worked in the food hall at one time and used to add a little extra to my Mom's shopping. Mom used to worry all the way to the exit.

Remember Lewis's Bank which for a time was owned by Martins Bank but was sold to Lloyds Bank when Barclays took over Martins Bank. Quite a bit of information about Lewis's and the bank on https://www.martinsbank.co.uk/ Unfortunatel it does not seem that I can give to a direct link to the Lewis's pages as this will take you only to the Martins Bank Archive home page. However if you page down you will see under Find a Branch a link to Lewis's

My goodness Steve that's brought back a memory or two. That marble/stone staircase and we queued for what seemed like years and as you say to be greeted by Uncle Holly. Fabulous memories. What about the lifts though and the lift man who talked you through the contents of each floor. "Going up - ladies underwear etc etc ............." and the change machines that rushed overhead around the store.

Jenny

Back