• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lewis's Department Store

Yes Frank - Lewis's - I banked there, had my hair cut there, saw the christmas grotto and a 'real' Father Christmas after queuing up the stairs to see him, and one could see the lifts coming with someone in them to operate them, and we could even go on the roof and see Barr Beacon in the distance.
As a child in the 40's it was a treat to go there, I'm not sure with the shops of today, children would think the same.
oldmohawk....:)

You're right 'Oldmohawk.' You can't imagine anyone would develop the same affinity for Lidl or Asda that Lewis's customers had with the Store. A lot of people have mentioned the lifts and lift drivers. As was mentioned, some were disabled and a lot were ex servicemen. This was a deliberate policy of Lewis's, at a time when it was not a legal requirement to do so, to offer employment to such groups where they could both manage the job and earn a sensible wage. Most Commissionaires and Lift Drivers came from these groups and care was taken to move them around and interchange them to give them variety. Strangely enough though, very often lift drivers didn't want a change and they nearly always wanted to drive the same lift because they had a 'feel' for the control handle which enabled them to 'level' the lift cage accurately. Sometimes. if you saw a lift stationary with its light out, the lift driver had taken a quick comfort break and taken the 'handle' with him to stop anyone else driving it. This is why the same drivers were seen in the same lift so often and had a first name relationship with the customers.
At the time I was at Birmingham, there were over 1500 regular staff (with many temps for sales and peak trading periods) and these staff were engaged in around 70 trades all with their own unions, working practices and structures. I doubt if you would find any one of them now, who would have anything other than fond memories of Lewis's. Thanks for sharing yours.
Frank Smith

This is not quite right, Kevin Dallow ran the engraving and key cutting bar next door! He was there for 16 years and learned the shoe repair trade during that time. The heel bar was run by Ray Jefferies. Ray went on to run his own shoe repair business in the Minories itself, and later moved to another shop near the Oasis. Kevin was promoted and worked as area manager for Mr Minit for a number of years, and then branched out on his own in 1985. He now runs his own shoe repair, key cutting and engraving business with his wife in Chasetown High Street.

Out of interest here is a picture I don’t think I have seen before, of Lewis’s post new building on Corporation st side, but pre the building on the Newbury’s site.

s_pre_covering_minories.jpg

Hi. I`m new to this site, but what fantastic memories of Lewis`s. Attached photo taken in 1949 on Santa`s sleigh in Lewis`s, containing my wife aged 3 and her Mum and Dad. I wonder how many more photos of the same shot exist.View attachment 64066

Shortie
I thought that as well. It came from a reputable book "Friends of the people" by Asa Briggs, pub 1956 , the story of Lewis's. Have not read the book yet, but no indication of the date on the photo caption

l remember shopping in Lewis's basement around 1955-56 for my bottom drawer, mostly kitchen stuff...they had a wonderful array of domestic things in the basement, l remember l bought a tea service... can'nt remember the name but some of you grey haired surfers would remember it....it was a solid coloured cup with a checkered saucer and plate to match...they came in all coloures and l chose grey....and l still have a few pieces left...every so often l have a cuppa and reminise, best part l can but them in the dishwasher...when l bought them who would have thought they would have travelled as many miles as they have,can'nt beat" british made".....Brenda

Hi. I`m new to this site, but what fantastic memories of Lewis`s. Attached photo taken in 1949 on Santa`s sleigh in Lewis`s, containing my wife aged 3 and her Mum and Dad. I wonder how many more photos of the same shot exist.View attachment 64066

Doug welcome to the forum. What a lovely photo of your wife and her parents thanks for posting it for us.

What a fantastic History forum, I moved away from Brum in 1961 but I'm still proud to tell everybody I'm a Brummie. Reading this Lewis's topic made me dig out this photo of myself visiting Lewis's Father Christmas in 1959. I think I look pretty scared, maybe it's because I just met Uncle Holly beforehand and I was still in shock!.....Michael Brittain.

View attachment 64098

On the subject of Birmingham and Christmas ............

20 years ago I worked at Rackhams over Christmas, this was about the time Lewis's closed - the Rackham's staff were in shock - Lewis's being such a Birmingham institution.

Father Christmas in Rackham's was a WW 2 veteran, who had lost a finger at Dunkirk - apparently he use to tell the kids Rudolph bit it off when he was feeding the reindeers !!!!

Anyway one lunch time Fr Christmas took ill (I think he went to a pub !!!) The manager of Christmas was in a flap - one of the older guys in books was asked - said no way - I offered but was told I couldn't do it as I was Australian, a guy whose parents were West Indian offered etc etc

In the end they got a 16 year old guy covered in pimples from the staff canteen !!!!

What a fantastic History forum, I moved away from Brum in 1961 but I'm still proud to tell everybody I'm a Brummie. Reading this Lewis's topic made me dig out this photo of myself visiting Lewis's Father Christmas in 1959. I think I look pretty scared, maybe it's because I just met Uncle Holly beforehand and I was still in shock!.....Michael Brittain.

View attachment 64098

Hello Michael and welcome to the forum this is a great thread the photo's are lovely and thanks for posting yours. I love seeing the photo's of Lewis's I don't know how our Mom's had the patience to stand on those stairs for so long!

Great story too Austinlancer.lol

On the subject of Birmingham and Christmas ............

20 years ago I worked at Rackhams over Christmas, this was about the time Lewis's closed - the Rackham's staff were in shock - Lewis's being such a Birmingham institution.

Father Christmas in Rackham's was a WW 2 veteran, who had lost a finger at Dunkirk - apparently he use to tell the kids Rudolph bit it off when he was feeding the reindeers !!!!

Anyway one lunch time Fr Christmas took ill (I think he went to a pub !!!) The manager of Christmas was in a flap - one of the older guys in books was asked - said no way - I offered but was told I couldn't do it as I was Australian, a guy whose parents were West Indian offered etc etc

In the end they got a 16 year old guy covered in pimples from the staff canteen !!!!

A bevy of Father Christmases in 1960-apparently recruited to spread the good spirit amongst the townfolk-appear on one of the MACE mini-videos.
Apparently the organisers had no regards for the nationality of their Santas as one is obviously from something like an Indian or Pakistani background......

www.macearchive.org.uk/Media.html?Title=649#

The Aussie one would be wearing shorts, have zinc cream on their nose, sun glasses and carrying a surfboard!!!!!

The Christmas manager at Rackhams was a Birmingham City fan and I'd adopted the Villa so I don't think it was racist me being an Aussie- more a claret and blue thing !!!!

Glad you appreciated the article of Walter Cleaver's grottos. The pictures have 'rested' in our attic for a few years now, we thought they would be better back in Brum where they might get a wider audience. They are now with Carl who is planning to add them to his archive. Have only just discovered the Forum some facinating stuff. Was perhaps hoping there might be some 'oldies' still around who would have worked with him?

Hi Ray and welcome the photo's are fantastic I have Carl's magazine the article is wonderful.

I don’t think there are many of us who never entered the doors of Lewis’s on Corporation St. It might have been shopping, for a meal in the cafeteria or restaurant, even possibly taken for a haircut as a child or to visit Santa and Uncle Holly in the grotto. Or possibly just wasting a little time because we were early for that first date with new girlfriend or boyfriend. Have you ever thought about how much of the history of this once popular store that you know? I was able to find out these few facts by just a little research. If you can add any more please do so.

David Lewis opened the first Lewis’s store in Liverpool in 1856 selling men & boys clothing he soon branched out into other departments selling women’s clothing and tobacco among other things. In 1877 he opened his first store outside Liverpool in Manchester. In 1885 he opened a store in Birmingham at the personal invitation of Joseph Chamberlain on the new Corporation St.

The store was built on the corner of Bull St and Corporation St as this was judged by David Lewis to be the busiest intersection on the street. (Photo 1). The designer was H.R.Yeoville Thomason designer of the Town Hall and the build cost £30,000. This store was eventually demolished when Lewis’s purchased the building next door (Berlin house) which fronted the Old Square in 1920’s (photo 2). The new building taking up the whole block skirted by Corporation St, Bull St, The Minories & Old Square. Also as part of their 1920’s extension plans they purchased Newbury’s department store on the other side of the Minories. (photo 3) After modernising the facade of Newbury’s they bridged over and tunnelled under the Minories to make it all one connecting store. (photo 4).

As a point of interest the stone Griffins that once adorned the roofline of Newbury’s after spending a short while on the roof of Lewis’s were donated to Yorkswood Scout Camp and now are scattered around the Kingshust Estate.

In 1991 Lewis’s went into administration although some of the stores were bought out and continued to trade. The Birmingham store closed its doors and ceased to trade. The building has since been converted for many different uses such as offices, shops, restaurants and many other diverse uses. (photo 5).

Phil

]
724babc0.jpg
4a64b14b.jpg

]
b12f2156.jpg
6e256a02.jpg

]
913f1a87.jpg

Thanks for posting Phil as a child it was a rare treat for me to go to Lewis,s my only interest at that point was a trip to the roof.The lift operator dressed in his posh uniform the polished brass controls I was so exited waiting to see all of the wild life that always amazed me.Photo#5 is that how it looks now?? a real picture post card. Dek

I remember going to see father christmas and uncle holly there as a child. I can also remember a childrens play area on the roof. As an adult I remember going in there to buy a birthday present and I was the only person shopping (on the ground floor at least), but oh my goodness they were so expensive and I couldn't afford anything. When they closed down I was really sad but not at all surprised

Lewis's was the only store my parents would use to make major purchases such as appliances, carpets and so forth. Even after such stuff became available much cheaper elsewhere they still used Lewis's. Maybe it was the superior level of service and attention. When I was a nipper I used to spend an occasional entire Saturday afternoon in Lewis's, just wandering around and looking and going up on the roof. Great place, and much missed.

Big Gee

I remember Lewis's for several reasons over the years. The rooftop experience with cars and zebra crossings - not sure what this was really for, to teach children how to cross the road or what? The baby chicks that they always seem to have there at Easter time, the ice cream machine(s) which were always tucked away somewhere near stairs I think, the ice cream was really good, or at least it was for me. I remember going to choose a cardigan, a kind of fair isle one, on a pale blue ground, and a dress for a cousin's wedding. Later on I used to go for offcuts of fabric to make myself skirts, and also to visit the Grotto at Christmas - the best ever experience, although waiting on the stairs was not the nicest place to be. The one thing that really sticks out in my mind was when having a meal there - I think it must have been fish and chips - I picked up the bottle of tomato sauce and shook it (as you do) and the top came off and the sauce went flying everywhere. I was only about eight and I got told off for it. It was not me who left the top not screwed on, but apparently I should have looked!!! I don't know which was worse, the embarrasement of having the sauce fly everywhere or being blamed. Some things you never forget.

I was taken to Lewis's for haircuts as a child, you used to sit on horses, zebras and other animals. and who can remember the childrens shoe department, where there was an Xray machine you slid your feet under to check the fit of the shoes, you could actually see the bones in your toes ! but my favourite had to be the 4th floor, the toy department, with working models built from meccano and lots of things to wish for for christmas.
Happy days

Goffy

Below is a facsimile of one of Lewis's advertising stunts. In 1886, just before David Lewis's death, Louis Cohen, the, successor of David Lewis, took out a lease on the Great Eastern , a famous, but not very succesful, steamship, which was rusting away unused (it was stated theat there were 300 tons of marine animals, ie barnacles etc, attached to her before she was moved) . she was moved to Liverpool and converted into a floating bar and entertainment complex , with a large advert on th eside. Peoples's handkerchiefs could be impronted with an image as that below, which included a picture of the Birmingham store.
There are some intereesting adverts of the 1800s ,which might be of interest, though they seem to refer mainly to the main Liverpool stiore. I will reproduce some later . The bicycle (pennyfarthing) suits, and overcoat adverts are particularly good

LewisshandkerchiefA.jpg

I'm sure I have probably postd this before, but I can remember going to Lewies for afternoon tea with my great aunts in the top floor restuarant, with waitress service. It was a big treat and I can still remember the ice cream sundaes they served with the flakes and chocolate sauce. They also served Kunzle cakes and the sandwiches were tinv triangle on a doiley plate. There was also a lovely dessert trolley, which my aunt ued to love, she had a very weet tooth and I can recall my great aunt telling her off for chosing more than one sweet!!
I also have a photo of me holding a monkey taken in Lewises just before Christmas, my brother also had his photo taken then went down with measles just after, nan alway blamed it on the monkey.
In later years, my sister-in-law worked in Lewises when she left school and got lovely homeware as the staff discount was big then!!
Sue

Below are adverts for Lewis's products from 1880. Althought the adverts seem aimed at Liverpool, the Birmingham store had opened, as so presumably they would have been available there also.
mike

Lewissadverts1880A.jpg

lewisproducts1880.jpg

Mike, on a recent episode of Coast, they looked at the spot on the banks of the Mersey where the Great Eastern was scrapped, and showed several old photos of the ship complete with its Lewis's advertising. Brunel must have been turning in his grave. They also uncovered a piece of plating complete with rivets.

Re: your other photos, my 1880's Lewis's business-suit is still going strong....even if I'm not.

Big Gee

Back