• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lewis's Christmas Fun

Not forgetting Uncle Holly & queuing for what seemed like hours on the staircase to the grotto at the top of the shop.
Those days are long gone.

I posted this many years ago but, with the festive (?) season approaching I'll repost an updated version as the memory of it all is still just as fresh and as seasonal.

I think that it was Lewis’s which provided me with one of my very earliest memories.

Christmas, either 1938 or 1939. I am lifted up off the floor in order to view at eye level a vista which seems to extend for ever: a wonderful display of ‘0’ Gauge Hornby Trains. An expanse of LMS red and GWR green, gleaming under the lights, all in movement, rattling and whirring past buildings and signals, clattering through tunnels and under bridges. A sight to gladden the heart of any small boy, and not a few grown up ones who are also crowding around the display. Somewhere else in the Toy Department, on the way out, there is another, smaller layout, a little silver, streamlined train whirring around and around on a small oval of track. Even to my wholly inexperienced eye, this is a poor effort compared with the Hornby. And after all, what in life could ever compare with Hornby?

I imagine the occasion was that of the purchase of my first train set, a red clockwork tank engine with two four-wheeled tinplate Pullman coaches and an oval of track. I have no recollection of the moment of its appearance but I loved it dearly (and still had what remained of it until three or four years ago when the pressures of a house move and the attractions of eBay became too much to resist). Not long afterwards, Hornby, Dinky Toys and everything else disappeared totally from Lewis’s and every other shop (including a couple of other toyshops which I recall from that time: Barnby’s in a city centre arcade and Benson’s - wasn’t it? - in Erdington High Street, both of which, together with Lewis's, seemed to me to be the nearest approach to heaven which Birmingham had to offer). All one could do was drool over images in copies of ‘Meccano Magazine’ and accept resignedly the message contained in the regular advert which said something like “Boys and girls, the Meccano factory is busy making other things and cannot at the moment produce your favourite toys. But be patient, we shall be back….after the war”.

I was lucky in that my Lewis’s set was supplemented one Christmas morning in around 1942 or 1943 by a wonderful cardboard box, brimming with second-hand track and rolling stock, its previous owner no doubt preoccupied at that moment with other matters, in North Africa or Burma or on the high seas. I often wondered who he was and what had happened to him. Gradually too I managed to get hold of my elder brother’s stuff after he himself had gone off to war. When I see the current values of such ancient bits and pieces, how I wish I had treated them all with greater care and reverence!

How wonderful Christmases were, through the eyes of a fortunate little boy protected by loving parents from a ghastly world.

Chris

what a smashing post chris...although the eldest of 6 children and money tight we always had a magical christmas...it was never about how many toys we had or how little or how much they cost..it was about the love and security that our parents gave us..waking up on christmas morning to find a pillow case full of presents was always special and of course our stockings with a little toy in plus apples and oranges:)...would not change my childhood for all the tea in china and because of my childhood all of my 4 children have never expected the earth as they understand the importance of family values...i am very lucky

lyn

Last edited:
What wonderful, and magical memories Chris, although born just after the war my memories, of tin plate toys and trains are still as vivid. Paul Stacey

Barrows Christmas list 1928 - shops in Corporation Street and Bull Street. Viv.

image.jpeg

Still in Corporation Street, an advert for Rackhams (now House of Fraser). The advert speaks quality, although the boy looks pretty manic to me. Too much Christmas chocolate ! Mum and I loved to check out the Rackhams window displays. Strangely I don't remember anything about the window displays at Lewis's. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Not forgetting Uncle Holly & queuing for what seemed like hours on the staircase to the grotto at the top of the shop.
Those days are long gone.

Yes, I remember as a child being taken to see Uncle Holly at Lewis's, but not Father Christmas. I might be mistaken, but wasn't Uncle Holly the cheaper option!?

Regards, Ray T

Not sure Ray. I always imagined he was Santas sidekick. I think he might have been the warm up act. I never liked him or Santa, so we didn't do the Lewis's Christmas visit. These badges are on the badgecollectorscircle.co.uk site. A bit freaky looking at them now. Viv.

image.jpeg

Shoppers in the Bull ring in 1947. At first glance it looks like a hum drum shopping day in the market area. No suggestion of Christmas festivities, no decorations, only a few smiling faces. But let's remember this was recent post-war Birmingham. The people we see in view must have been glad simply to have survived the war. Viv.

image.jpeg

Shoppers in the Bull ring in 1947. At first glance it looks like a hum drum shopping day in the market area. No suggestion of Christmas festivities, no decorations, only a few smiling faces. But let's remember this was recent post-war Birmingham. The people we see in view must have been glad simply to have survived the war. Viv.

View attachment 110004
What a winter if ever there was! Never ending cold, me with asthma, ear aching from neuralgia. I remember walking to the shops with mum: cold in my clothing, grey short trousers, such lining as there was stopped well short of the hem so as to allow the rough woolen cloth to chap the tops of your legs raw, so called long socks that didn`t hold up and fell around the ankles, cold-soled shoes that let in and pinched the feet and a mac that too that was colder in than without, smelled of burning rubber and was heavy and unyielding like a tarpaulin. No sympathy from dad either, out with him in the yard, hands blue with the cold, being told to slap my arms to the body (probably an Army exercise) and get on with it. Not much food about with fond memories of dried egg.

That's just the way I remember Christmas, Viv #12, from my childhood, out with dad in the Bull Ring on Christmas eve in the cold and frost, trying to pick up last minute bargains .!!!

Back