• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Let us not forget

The Baron

master brummie
Just a few shot of the NATIONAL WAR MEMORIAL. What a way to show we care, a tranquil place for all to be honored.

Clarity with thoughfullness, really beautiful, serene photos :)
My respect & honour to those that We owe so much,,

Thanks to The Baron,,, JohnY:cool:

Just three more of this fantastic place, every one should visit if only once. BUT I BET IF YOU GO ONCE, THEN YOU WILL GO AGAIN & AGAIN.

For anyone wishing to visit without transport the 112 Birmingham to Burton on Trent bus actually has a stop at the National War Memorial

Hope you don`t mind but the place is

The National Memorial Arboretum

and the large Memorial is the

Armed Forces Memorial

thanks Dave

Here is a photograph taken by my son Tom this year on a school trip to Belgium. Be assured they wont forget.....................

The National Memorial Arboretum

THe Armed Forces Memorial

Respect

At the Eleventh Hour

On the Eleventh Day

Of the Eleventh Month

Wonderful pictures.....thanks .

I have visited some war graves in Belgium and the American War Cemetery near Cambridge and have some lovely pics of them and the Cenotaph and other memorials in London. Have every intention of visiting the memorial at Alrewas

Accuracy is very important here. The 'national memorial' is the Cenotaph in London. The Armed Forces Memorial at Alrewas commemorates post-1945 dead.

I Heard someone on the radio this morning saying if there was one name which you could not read on the memoriel, there is one soldier which is forgotten. how sad...Cat

This is on my list next time I come to the midlands, it looks a stunning place.
Without wishing to appear to be moaning, there's a distinct lack of younger people wandering around, in fact I don't see any.

John you could not be further from the truth,on our visit many young ones with moms & dads. Our grandaughter having been,now keeps asking to go again as it full of history as well has being a tranquill place to sit and think.
You will like your visit & I bet you will come again.

One of the places I must visit.

A few years ago I visited the cemeteries on the Somme,a very sad and humbling experience.All those young men buried in a foreign land,their graves tended beautifully by the CWGC.

If, as has been posted ,there is a lack of young people at the Alrewas memorial the schools should do more to arrange trips there.

When we were at Thiepval there were lots of French schoolchildren there and when we visited the British WW11 headquarters in Arnhem,now a museum,there were many Dutch schoolchildren.

Here are three photographs that my son took while on a school trip to Belgium.

It is reassuring to note that both WW1 and WW2 form part of the national curriculum so children are being made aware through education. :)

Back