• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Larches Street Sparkbrook

there was a Warwick Arms at 93 Long St and a Deveraux Arms in Lodge road
The warwi
Lyn

What was your relatives name, and what number Larches Street did they live at, my fathers family came out of Larches St and I was living there myself until I got married. I've been looking for photos myself for a few years now they are not that easy to come by. I have two that belong to Mikejee that I helped him identify they show numbers 2 to 15 would you believe only 2 houses short of our old house. If Mike agrees I'll put them up for you.
My grandmother and grandfather and my mom and uncle lived in larches street about 55 to early 60's

Bill and Dot Jones (nee Gardner) were my aunt and uncle. Their children were Brian (sadly killed in a car crash) Linda, David and Clive. Harry and Florrie Underwood lived next door in to us in Kyrwicks Lane, nearly opposite the Hereford Arms. Mom and Dad (Sid and Joyce) would walk past The Stratford Arms and Cottage Of Content to get to the Warwick, they loved the place. Dad worked behind the bar for a while.

Yes that was the Jones family that lived a couple of doors away from us. I didn't know that Brian had been killed, I think the last time I saw him was when he managed a car tuning garage at the bottom end of Garrison Lane in the 70's and I took my car into him to be tuned.

Yes that was the Jones family that lived a couple of doors away from us. I didn't know that Brian had been killed, I think the last time I saw him was when he managed a car tuning garage at the bottom end of Garrison Lane in the 70's and I took my car into him to be tuned.
Ooops I forgot Karen also. Saw Linda the odd time and see Clive when we go to his local in Redditch for a night out. We came from a very big family on Dad's side I think he had something like 12 siblings and lived in Braithwaite Road. We lived with my moms parents in Priestly Road for the first four or five years after I was born. Sid and Betty Higgs, aunt Bet, aunt June and my mom Joyce (real name Barbara) before we moved around the corner to Kyrwicks Lane. In those days you never ventured far from the same five or six streets.

The last two posts have been moved to this thread, which contains some photos

Hello just noticed you remember the Underwood's and Haddleton and Savory. Well I am Pauline Savory and I sent in this photo
Hi Pauline, I remember you well. My mom and dad were Sid and Joyce Gardner (sadly passed away in 2013 but at a ripe old age) my sister Kay and I were fixtures at the Warwick, the other three Craig, Neil and Mandy came along 10 years after us two. I remember your dad,Les, well.

Hi Pauline, I remember you well. My mom and dad were Sid and Joyce Gardner (sadly passed away in 2013 but at a ripe old age) my sister Kay and I were fixtures at the Warwick, the other three Craig, Neil and Mandy came along 10 years after us two. I remember your dad,Les, well.
Hello yes I remember your family too. My dad Les died age 58 and mom was 93. Dad loved the Warwick and our trips with Cappa Haddleton to cricket matches and fishing trips. Loved my childhood playing in the yard at the Warwick.

My Grandparents lived in Larches Street from 1915 to 1937 . My Grandfather, William Hinks, was the Licencee at The Beehive Alehouse where he lived with his wife Minnie and children. Their son Jack and daughter Connie came with them and two more daughters were born there - Norah and Marjorie. Marjorie was the youngest and was just 3 weeks off her 101st birthday when she died in April 2020 but my Mother Connie, who married and had her wedding reception in the Club Room at the Beehive , was a frequent visitor with her family and I remember the place very well and have a lot of memories which I treasure. My Uncle and Aunties had a lot of friends in Larches Street and all went to school on the Stratford Road in Sparkbrook and believe it is still teaching pupils to this day. I have photographs of The Beehive which I will look out and send to you.

my grandparents name was ward lived at 107A ,walter and Florence I lived with them until about 1950/
I lived at 105 Larches Street a couple of doors away from the Wards. I am sure our next door neighbour was related to the wards

I lived at 105 Larches Street a couple of doors away from the Wards. I am sure our next door neighbour was related to the wards

Dorothy Carter (nee Ward) of 106 appears to have been the daughter of Walter & Florence Ward of 107a

my grandparents name was ward lived at 107A ,walter and Florence I lived with them until about 1950/
I remember the wards who lived in long street related to begleys lovley Irish family . This area was lovley as a kid I grew up there beautiful memories lovley people all gone . Don’t even think about driving or visiting there today !! all my uncles and local mainley Irish family’s would hover from pub to pub Warwick black horse shakes spear golden days everyone every thing was happy and much different.

Back