• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ladypool Road.

i have to thank tina for leading me to look in my photo files for one of her parents shop which we have now found but imagine my surprise when trawling through them i came across a photo of one of my uncles butcher shops seen here on the far left of this photo at 152 ladypool rd..absolutely delighted to have found it...the shop is now a jewellers shop

lyn

harringtons butchers 152 ladypool rd sparkbrook.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All, I was wondering if any of you have any information on a pub that used to be at 225 ladypool road? or what 225 ladypool road used to be in 1912? I have seen a census where my great 2nd great grandfather used to live and he used to own a few pubs it is believed in Birmingham. His name was Thomas Fredrick Fletcher.

This was the Rad Lion. In the 1911 census Thomas is listed as the manager. In Kellys directories he is listed ther in those dated 1908-1913, but not 1904 or 1915. As the date is the publication date and probably refers to the year before, it can be said that he was landlord from at least 1907-1912

This was the Rad Lion. In the 1911 census Thomas is listed as the manager. In Kellys directories he is listed ther in those dated 1908-1913, but not 1904 or 1915. As the date is the publication date and probably refers to the year before, it can be said that he was landlord from at least 1907-1912
thank you

great rob so very easy now to pinpoint no 281 on wams photo by counting the windows from the clifton road... as you said its the 5th window from the clifton road end..the wall with the large advert on it must be the entrance to trafalgar avenue..i am sure that tina will be delighted to see a photo of her family shop..

lyn
This is fantastic thank you, i will attach to my family tree, All of my childhood was spent at 281/283 Ladypool Road. Happy days.

According to kelly's in 65 and 72, 281 Ladypool was a fancy goods shop not hardware. It had been a toy shop before that. They just call it "Gift Shop" and it was on the corner of Trafalgar Avenue (?) part way between Clifton & runcorn. The photo was taken of an event at St Barnabas in the early 80s. Your shop would have been in one of the blocks to the right of the picture if I've got this right. Maybe the one with the ad posters on the side on the block sticking out?

View attachment 151618
(Photograph Mick Turner - Balsall Heathan archive)
Thank you so much for finding this. I would love to be able to put an exact date to it. My Dad sold the shop in 1978, however, the fan parked outside is exactly the same as my Uncles who frequently visited the shop. So I'm wondering if the photo might actually be slightly before 1978.

Thank you so much for finding this. I would love to be able to put an exact date to it. My Dad sold the shop in 1978, however, the fan parked outside is exactly the same as my Uncles who frequently visited the shop. So I'm wondering if the photo might actually be slightly before 1978.
I don't think the van outside was parked. I've zoomed in a little and you can see the driver in it. This picture is part of a sequence of half a dozen or more pictures that, admittedly, concentrate on what is going on outside the church at the left of the shot. There is at least one other that includes the shops although in less detail and the van isn't in it.

You have me thinking now about Maturi's. They were a Birmingham hardware company who sold and sharpened knifes and scissors. I do know they had a couple of shops, one near the central fire station. I also have this vague memory of one on Ladypool Road too, but not 100% certain.
So I have just signed up to this forum having finally got around to investigating Maturi. I inherited my grandfather's carving knife (via my father) which I believe he bought in the 1940's; it is still going well although slowly disappearing with sharpening. Thanks for the background to the company!20230704_120333.jpg

There were two threads about this riad which I've now merged. There may be earlier unseen posts. Viv.

Clearing my Dad's house produced something I should share:

Bourne_Toys_2[1].jpg

The contents are all Meccano and Hornby, and from the contents of his loft, much of his pocket money was spent there...

P.S. According to Streetview 213 is now a Dixy Chicken bar.

Back