• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ladypool Road.

A few more photos of Ladypool Rd, these ones are not so often seen.

There is one right at the other end of the Lane to Darby's. Its on the Junction of Stratford Rd and is opposite where the Angel Public House stood. It is a motoring shop on this photo, but I knew it as Burke's Grocers.

Then we have some old Georgian type houses that were quite close to Highgate rd, I remember these as a laundry and a car sales pitch. Incidentally these were opposite Mays's Café (mentioned previously on the forum) on the corner of Tillingham St.

Next is a view of some of the co-op shops that ran from the corner of Studley St (where Ernie Guest' barrow used to park) up to the Olympia Cinema (the local fleapit).

Then we have a photo of St Barnabus on the corner of Clifton Rd in all its former glory. I heard or read somewhere that this Church was bombed during the war and this was the cause of the drastic alterations that were undertook. Well I wasn't around during the war and I'm sure I used to pass by every day on the way to school and it was still in its entirety. Perhaps some one might remember.

Phil

SparkbrookJunctionStratfordRdLadypoolRd.jpg
SparkbrookLadypoolRd2.jpg

LadyppolRdStudleyStCorner.jpg
SparkbrookStBarnabus.jpg

Then we have a photo of St Barnabus on the corner of Clifton Rd in all its former glory. I heard or read somewhere that this Church was bombed during the war and this was the cause of the drastic alterations that were undertook. Well I wasn't around during the war and I'm sure I used to pass by every day on the way to school and it was still in its entirety. Perhaps some one might remember.

Phil

Phil thanks for the photos and I too remember passing St Barnabas church on my way to school. Most of all I remember standing at the top of the cellar steps in the winter catching the heat that came up from the coke fed heating boilers. In those days the church had money to burn. Here is a photo of my cousin Pat's wedding at St Barnabas, half of these people are my family including my cousin Frederick who supplied the photo and is also a forum member.
2423536280102465904S500x500Q85.jpg

Graham.

Last edited:
Hi My gran also lived at 62 Ladyool Road until after my grandad Fred died in 1957, what a coincidence. I remember the house well and the regular walk with my mom to visit them. My mom lived there also until she married my dad who lived next door at number 64, they married in 1943. The house, going down from Stratford Road was on the left. I am sorry I have no photos, only memories but good luck with your search, and if you get any photos I'd love to see them.

My gran and grandad also lived at 62 Ladypool Road until the late 1950s when she came to live with us, my mother also lived with them until she married in 1943 to the boy next door at number 64. The house was down on the left from Stratford Road. Good luck with trying to find photos, if you do get some let everyone have a look.

It would be intresting to know roughly when your dad lived there. I joined the forum this August 2012, although I regularly browse, it is the first time I have seen this thread. I hope you are still usiing the forum, I think it is great to bring back these memories

Chris

We've got a very nice painting of Ladypool in the old days. My wife who used to live there recognises some of the shops. When I learn how to, I'll take a picture of it and post t.

The painting is by D B Wilson. The 1st road on the left is Alfred St. Click on them for full screen.

hi guys
thanks for the picture and for some memories you have given us way back then in those for gotten years in one life
it used to be a pleasure to walk down those streets of lady pool rd and the surrounding roads all with tree lined roads and the people
sitting out on the street out side there front doors especialy on a sunny day ;the streets was cleaned by the women ; and the kids never damaged any think or strewn rubbish flying around and even the belgrave rd its was brilliant but look at it today a complete eye saw ;
why did the council have to go around those streets and chopp the trees down; ?, bu saying that now the populaton as changed its just as well with all these dammed muggers hanging around i say they would be behind any of the trees so i guess its just as well thy did ;
but yes ladypool rd was a pleasure even with the shop windows always sparkling now you cannot tell half of them what theyu are selling ;
alway rememmbering poping into old trippas,s for a cake or two in those days my old dutchess worked for them when she was young ;
but today its very hard to walk down there and along ladypool rd yet even drive ; way back in the eightys the old saying was if you can drive down ladypool rd
without any hitting you ; you can drive any where and also how many of you recall the old angel pub at the other end of it and the corner of stratford rd
by the way smithy ; i hope you do not mind me referring as old smithy just an expresion did you have any relatives a few blocks away
did you have any releies by the name of bob ; [ rob ] as he was an old friend of mine loved to catch up on him;
thanks for the memory astonian;

Hi I do have a brother in law named Bob Smith (Robert) who used to live in Woodstock Road (off Ladypool Rd) many years ago. If you think this is the same Bob Smith you will have to let me know somehow to sort things out, best wishes,

Chris

My mom was born in Rose Cottages, off Ladypool Road, until they moved up to Tyseley when she was 2. Her grandparents lived there too.
Sue

hi smithy
what years are you referring to about rob;i have left brum for afewyears now and i just cannot recall the name of
the rd at the time i recall him his older brother worked for warner brothers when he was young [ that being is brother ]
Or it was a warehouse where they stored records or some think like that
i will asked our kid where about off the ladypol rd it was for the excact d it was called ;
smithy its sounds very much like we are talking about the same rob; i willl definately come back to youshortly ; best wishes astonian;

Hi Grandmaster,
Rob/Bob is the eldest, he has two brothers, Bob will be 70 later this year, and when he was younger worked in a garage, if this rings any bells we will have to find a way of exchanging details, hope this is of help. Any questions please get back to me anytime, all the best.

Smithy (Chris)

I know Ladypool Road very well, go there occasionally for a curry. I use to live in Brunswick Road, our old house / shop has sadly been demolished. Interested to see a few of you also went to Dennis Road School.

Good morning my fellow brummies,
I am a newbie to this site and wanted to ask if any one knows the history of ladypool road? When were they converted from homes to shops and if anyone owned a shop there? Thanks all :grinning:

Bina

Obviously I cannot reproduce it here, but Carl Chinn does a 3 page write up on Ladypool Road in his book The Streets of Brum Part Three. Basically Ladypool Road was known as Ladypool Lane until 1883 and this is why its still known as "The Lane". In 1885 the wealthy residents of Moseley were not happy being classed with the working class residents of Sparkbrook and Balsall Heath so they got the name of the top end of the lane changed to Church Road.

If you can get hold of a copy of the book it might be worth your while, or better still if you could contact Carl himself on one of his websites.

There is a thread for Ladypool Road. Also a search will get you details of many shops and businesses there, plus photos in the Then and Now thread.

There is a thread for Ladypool Road. Also a search will get you details of many shops and businesses there, plus photos in the Then and Now thread.
love the sig alan:grinning:

Bina

Obviously I cannot reproduce it here, but Carl Chinn does a 3 page write up on Ladypool Road in his book The Streets of Brum Part Three. Basically Ladypool Road was known as Ladypool Lane until 1883 and this is why its still known as "The Lane". In 1885 the wealthy residents of Moseley were not happy being classed with the working class residents of Sparkbrook and Balsall Heath so they got the name of the top end of the lane changed to Church Road.

If you can get hold of a copy of the book it might be worth your while, or better still if you could contact Carl himself on one of his websites.

My dad Jeffrey Dry was born at 56 Church Road in 1925, where my grandfather lived with his wife Dorothy Dry nee Jefferies who lived before marriage at 32 Forest Road just off Church Road. My great grandfather R.A. Dry senior lived at 63 Church Road from 1899 to 1936 when he died. My family then lived at 9a Park Hill when my dad attended Stanley House School and my aunt Freda went to Edgbaston school for girls. So including myself 4 generations of Moseley residents but I now live in Solihull. My dad died in 2019 and grandad in 1966. I have lots of details in checking on the family and places they knew and lived. I don't have any photos of Church Road in those faraway days or of Ladypool lane or road but I might contact Carl for a copy of his book.

My Mum and Dad had a hardware shop at 281 Laypool Road in the 60's and 70's, it was close to Clifton Road and has now been knocked down. I was hoping somebody might have some photos of that end of "the lane". There was another hardware shop further down the road on the opposite side to Woolworths, I've been wracking my brain to think of it's name I think it was Maturi's.

You have me thinking now about Maturi's. They were a Birmingham hardware company who sold and sharpened knifes and scissors. I do know they had a couple of shops, one near the central fire station. I also have this vague memory of one on Ladypool Road too, but not 100% certain.

From 1973 Kellys

Maturi A. & Sons Ltd. cutlers. 393 Coventry rd 10 (021-7172 0591) & 125 Ladypool rd 13. 021-440 3319

Thanks Mike, I am sure there was also a shop on what is now James Watt Queensway in the early 70’s. Half Timbered place.

This was the Coventry Road business. Presumably similar products were available at the Ladypool Road shop. Viv.

5D52F6DF-062E-48BD-BAA3-E9E4A4D30C02.jpeg

According to kelly's in 65 and 72, 281 Ladypool was a fancy goods shop not hardware. It had been a toy shop before that. They just call it "Gift Shop" and it was on the corner of Trafalgar Avenue (?) part way between Clifton & runcorn. The photo was taken of an event at St Barnabas in the early 80s. Your shop would have been in one of the blocks to the right of the picture if I've got this right. Maybe the one with the ad posters on the side on the block sticking out?

mt120031.jpg
(Photograph Mick Turner - Balsall Heathan archive)

Last edited:
yes i think you could be right wam...i am sure that is mike sees this post he will be able to post a map showing 281 and maybe work out exactly which shop on the right it was

Here's a 1974 map, with 281 5th shop from Clifton rd,
or last but one in the block at the other end.

ladypool-road-281.jpg

great rob so very easy now to pinpoint no 281 on wams photo by counting the windows from the clifton road... as you said its the 5th window from the clifton road end..the wall with the large advert on it must be the entrance to trafalgar avenue..i am sure that tina will be delighted to see a photo of her family shop..

lyn

Back