• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ladypool Farm

GolowDydh

Does anybody have any pictures or inormation about Ladypool Farm. I believe it was between Brigton Road and Runcorn Road. I understand family lived there in the 1930s & 40s and I believe it was quite an old building. I know it was demolished over 60 years ago so it is a long shot.
Thanks

Carl Chinn, in his Phd thesis "The Anatomy of a Working Class Neighbourhood: West Sparkbrook 1871 to 1914" Ladypool farm disappeared between the 1871 and 1881 censuses, though that, of course does not mean that the building was necessarily demolished then

Yes it was on the Brighton rd about 400 Yards along from the Brighton arms public house coming across the traffic lights
And it was demolished and a recreation ground was put in its place with iron railing around
As you come to the corner of ladypool road and turn left onto Brighton rd and emediatly cross over to the other side of the road
And still walking for about 400 yards you would have come to it
If Phil can recall the corner shop that was turned into a cafe right on the very corner I just cannot think of the side red at this precise moment
It would have been facing that yes it was a huge building attachementto other and the sign was still tthere until
The late forty to the very early 50.!
Eventually they done away with the deck ass we called them and this was before the traffic lights was ever errected there
Also there was a big wash house laundry business there as well with hot air bellowing out of the pipes and windows
And in those days therewzs Mr trip pass the baker and cake seller from the hear dot
Best wishes Astonian,,,,Alan,,,,,

Carl Chinn, in his Phd thesis "The Anatomy of a Working Class Neighbourhood: West Sparkbrook 1871 to 1914" Ladypool farm disappeared between the 1871 and 1881 censuses, though that, of course does not mean that the building was necessarily demolished then

The building was still there in the 1930s but it may have just been given a house number as the victorian development surrounded it. I remember my Mum made a sketch of it years ago and from what I recall it looked like an 18th centuary cottage, her parents lived in the back and another family lived in the front.

Back