• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kynoch's I M I 1950s Onwards

Where can i get a copy of this aerial photo of the Witton site- i worked in the Sheet Mill from 1978- 1987.

Thanks,
Chris Brennan

I was an apprentice there in 1958 and i used to go and have my meals with the girls from that block and really liked a girl named carol my friend was hoppy who worked there I worked in public relations for a time before going to brooklyn college for three months before going into the apprentice school must have met you.

Hello Alf I also played for Kynochs in 1958 and scored the fastest goal that season inside 2 minutes and was mentioned in the Sports Argus in the works league I was playing centre foreward normally I played left back Edgar Puddy (who went onto play for Shrewbury)was late for the match and they put me in the centre what a great first game for me.

hi

puddy worked in the engineering workshops with us i was there from 1960 to 1964.
i played from 1959 to 1962 for kynoch apprentice's.
strange in a way i had better luck at lucas played several times against kynochs at
moor lane. always lost to them. warren bradley ran rings around me.
happy days

mike jenks

hello mike,just read your e mail..i had left the apprentice school by 1958, ie 1957 i was sent to work in the rod mill tool room then various other dpts. in imi... ended my app. in the engineering work shop and then finally i finished in the devolpment toolrom of the LIGHTENING FASTENER,,this was very interesting work ..i was one of the first to build and commission the zip slider ass. machines..then left in 1970 to work closer to home .was jack morley in the app school when you worked there..he was a character ..the apprenticeship there was second to none..had many happy memories at imi kynochs m.whitbrook

Hi

just back from Scotland yes Jack Morley little guy I came across him one Friday afternoon
as my 1-2 mic passed through a milling machine.
Mr Mcnab and Bill Yeomans in the Turning section. Bob Taylor was in charge.
Mr Wakeman ran the Introduction basic area. We all weared Cow gowns till we passed
out of there to get our Green ICI suits.
I spent another 4 years in the Central Engineering Workshops.
at the time it was a hard existence but later on the ICI apprenticeship gave us
the best start in life in Engineering.

mike jenks

when i worked in the app school ,i always remember jack morley putting me on the dreaded slot machine .it had i think a large wheel at the front and being a very nervous person i had to m/c a slot in the inside of the bore every time the slotter came done into the bore to take a cut i nearly crapped myself in case i had turned the wheel too far breaking the tool..ive never been the same sincehehehe

ChrisM, sorry, I can't remember, they were from all over the IMI 'empire', not just Witton. I was hoping someone on the picture was also on this forum. I'm on the right of the back row. Thr guy to the right of the pillar ran the course but I can't remember his name.

maryrose;9907 (Post #2) said:
My mom made bullets at the IMI and she then made Zips for lightening fastener. I have a mint pic of my mom making bullets and one of my grandad making tyres at Dunlops. My mom always looked at zips on clothes and still does. She says "ooh its Jap Made,no good " LOL.
Hello Maryrose,
I was looking through old posts of factories and spotted yours.You mentioned that your Father workes at Fort Dunlop as my Father did. Could you tell me what years your Father worked there as my Father worked there for many years.
Best wishes, Pam

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a picture of my mom and some of her workmates at Kynoch ammunishons shop. Could have been taken in the late 1950's, she is in the second row on the right.

Attachments

• kynock1.jpg
    kynock1.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 58
Hi

Great picture A B or C Factory
In the Works Shops we did a vast of work
for C Factory NATO 7.62mm Bullets.

Mike Jenks

Great photo Andrew hope someone recognises a relative in your photo. My aunt worked in the Power House wish I had a photo of her at that time.

Gaz yes it is Albert Banner. Miriam has not been well of late but am hoping she comes back on the forum shortly?.

Sorry to hear about Miriam, hope she gets better soon..
I was an apprentice at IMI(Kynoch) from 1971-1975 and then worked in the Rodmill as a Toolmaker until about 1978..
1st and 2nd years Apprenticeship were in the Training School, 3rd and 4th was out on site and I had the good fotune to be sent to Lightning Fasteners....I was really pleased about because my grandad Bob Troman was a toolmaker there.....during this time I remember Albert Banner..my grandad thought very highly of him.
Also my uncle(Keith Troman) worked at LF during this period.

Gaz I will phone Miriam in the morning and I know she will be pleased that you remember Al. I will send you a private message shortly regarding Al. Pete helped when they moved last year and Al showed him some of the tools of his trade. Jean.

Hi GazSutton - There are some photos here on the forum and several of them show Al Banner at the ice rink and on Wyndley Pool in Sutton Park.

Garry Bill also worked at Dunlop and was a part time swimming coach. Would this be the same Bill?.
Jean, Im not sure now but I thought it might have been from Lightning Fasteners...did he ever work at McKechnie metals, Middlemore Lane, Aldridge?

This is a photo of my grandad taken in August 1964, he worked in the Lightning Fasteners Toolroom during the late 60's/70's. His name is Bob Troman.
002.jpg

WOW i know bob tromans from the lf toolroom i used to work in development toolroom next door and always had a nice chat with bill really nice guy loved his ciggys great pic always on the surface grinders thanks for showing it it brings back good memorys

Back