• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kings Heath

J

jake

looking at the posts on here it all seems to be just places that are close to the city centre doe's kings heath/ kings norton / not go back far enough or is there not many people from those areas on here, just curious.

jake

Birmingham History Webring, the title of the this forum states Birmingham which means any area of the is city can participate, but there as to be an input from any one living in these areas to start threads off so all we can say is take part. We are quiet happy for any one to join in.
and that also includes any ex -pat where ever you are

Jake.I was a close neighbour .I lived in Stirchley.Not far from the Pavilion cinema.Left dear old Brum 1972.

hi John
i live in stirchley now by where the old pavillion was, its not changed much.

jake

I also lived near the pavillion. Cartland Road to be exact betwwen the years 1955-1972. Still often drive through Stirchley on my way to Kings Heath.

Dug this one up from the past !

Three of us went to the "Pav" to see "Blackboard Jungle". The movie had an "X" certificate, you had to be over 15 to get in), so one of us, who we thought looked the oldest, had to lie about his age and tek uz in. (I may have been 14 then).

Bill Haley, "Rock Around the Clock", such anarchy !

Hi on the subject of kings heath ;and stirchley area
does any body recall the guy whom ran the treasure chest up the pershore rd by the social club ;
the owner used to live in cartland rd way back in the early seventys ; but he would have lived and brought up in cartland rd by his mother whom lived next door to him; was a vwery elderly lady born and bred in cartland rd ; also i was told years ago about the name of cartland rd
and its history where the name came from can any body recall its origin ; i myselfstill travel through cartland rd and have some memories of it from my younger years and recall afew of the older generations of people that lived on it
and most certainly the last four house at the bottm of it as you hit those traffic lights to turn on to the pershore rd ;
and all that one way system the familys ; one house facing the club thats still there there was an old couple whom grew fanastic dayirlers
and i painted his old house it was a well maintained house on that section as it was a private as the rest was corporation houses ;
my wife goes to the club from time to time line dancing ; also at this present day in time my emediate neibour does alot of work for the kings heath society and researched for years and written two books it was only by chance two weeks ago that we was discussing certain things
and i told him of myself involved with thebirmingham history forum ;so that as brought us closer together as neibours
i have a broter hom lives in reeves rd today he has been there for at leat forty years or more and his related to the daniels family
whom lived there all there life sadly the older ones there parenshave pased over but the younger sibbling are still in kings heath
the neibour i am talking about whom one or two may know him as chris ;
best wishes astonian ;;

I bought stuff from the Treasure Chest and think the family moved out to Worcestershire somewhere.

Is Cartland Road not named after the Cartland Family - of Barbara Cartland fame?

hi ted
yes i stand corrected my mistake it was the treasure chest ;and he definately lived on the hill of cartland rd ;
i used to go to his mother and his house regular
there used to be a post box directly in line with his house ; and one day he came out and drove acros the rd to put is letter in the box
and wnt back in astonian

Hi Astonian,

I believe Cartland Road gets its name from the Cartland Estate
which was on the right of Cartland Rd, going down from Vicarage Road,
and stretched between the railway and Vicarage Road as far as
Kings Heath Park.

The estate was bought by the King Edward Foundation in the mid 1950s,
either from Major Cartland or his executors, and the new Camp Hill Grammar
Schools were built on it. I moved with the school from Camp Hill to Kings Heath
in September 1956.

Kind regards

Dave

hi bernie ; yes you are correct it was named after the cartlandfamily and the royal book written by barbara cartland
at the time i was writing my previous thread i did think it was as i was trying to recall that was the fact indeed and you pointing it out confirms to methat my thought was correct at the time of doingthe thread as i said i know a fair bit about cartland rd as i worked on the cartland rd for years
and at tha time i lived with my mother in reeves rd next t my brothers house which where he lives today he also knows alot about kings heath ;
and i know he as been doing some write up for the carl chinn; as he recently told me on my last visit to him
also refreshing my mind by people of the different name being which is the treasure trove and the treasure chest ;
well it was the treasure trove owned by the man in cartland rd was in the top of pershore rd by the social club ;
and it was th treasure chest ; which was the lower end of pershore rd and that my friends was basicialy a junk shop ; second hand goods more like fire wood
and i think it was late sixtys or i think it was in the seventys ;that the owner of that treasure chest [ junk shop ] was fined by the courts and trading stannards
for charging people VAT when he should not have done as it was not legal and he tried to claim the VAT as a fiddle money
he closed down and it went under a new owner ship alledgeably as these people do whom are rough traders
by the way on that subject of second goods and good treasure hunting the car boot is on at the belfry every sunday till the good old summer period
happy bargain hunt ; best wishes astonion

Back