• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

king edward reprieve

Well Well Well !!!! I guess it just shows that no one from the council or the planning department knows the area or has bothered to check things out. Having said that, why didn't the brewery tell them it was still a going concern? They recently spent a lot of money doing the place up........ All seems a little odd to me!

well something has gone badly wrong thats for sure and viv i smell serverl rats..but are we really surprised...im not....be interesting to see if the scaff at the aston tavern is taken down now..

lyn

Thank goodness for the hard work done by Birmingham Victorian Society.

Will be interesting to see if they continue doing up the Aston Tavern, especially as a lot of the fixtures were going to come from Eddies!
It's almost laughable that none of the councillors that made the decision for demolition did so with knowledge of what they were agreeing to, let alone where it is, makes you wonder if it was the same for the other glorious buildings that have been demolished. I think they should have to go and see the building in question before they are allowed to vote on its demise.
Sue

The Victorian Society put in a request about the demolition which caused the reprieve. Notice the word reprieve this could still be demolished, as several other buildings they tried to save have. At least they have saved some, their work is very often overlooked but they do a great job trying to save our heritage.

HAve just been reading about what they do Wendy, they put so much hard work in to save old buildings don't they? Lets hope they succeed with this one.
Sue

Well ladies ;
I Myself have just been listening to th video intensively and yes you can smell rats okay ;and they all said good things to a cerain degree
and they said they would await further reports from the hearitage society before condesending there approvale ;
but i had to smile wen one recalls the horse trough out side years ago and which in deed it was a i can recal that from my boy hood days
it seems he was the only one whom knew the pub ; but the rest do not know the area nor the pub; its self ;
out of the two pubs the edwards are the best the taveren as not much going for it internal or exterior;
as you seen and heard they was all geared up for the taveren may be its because of the villa fans being closely contained to the villa park
they can controll from and i had to smile when i heard the femalecouncillor whom i cannot namesaid she would not go into either of the pubs at any given
time ; yet she never knew the arrea nor even ever been into any of them ; i say blind leading the blind ; as i have said previously from a source
internaly that a particular property i was concerend and intrested in refurbishing was told sir ; we have made a mistake and he said to me at the time if only you could meaning me get an arial view of it and changled them ; [ say no more ] but yes sue you are correct they do not know the area ;
i must say the chairman ; if you watched it was good ; he seem to know what he was doing and saying when they refered a certain place
and he added if you are long standing brummmie you would call it lee bank ; and i said to myself bang on yes ;
one or two was half baked and and i watched it abiot more than the edward and listened to more applicacation ; moss,s are fine and so are car parks; guaranteed ; all granted and double resturants around lady pool rd and one councillor lived in sheldon all her life and she said she as never seen the green fields ; well thats says it all but any way they have put it on hold ; happy debate no ; smell rats ; its only a temp; hold before the bull dozers come resyt asured ;

Well Well Well !!!! I guess it just shows that no one from the council or the planning department knows the area or has bothered to check things out. Having said that, why didn't the brewery tell them it was still a going concern? They recently spent a lot of money doing the place up........ All seems a little odd to me!

It doesn't surprise me chocks, MONEY TALKS!

I am sure that no one will be surprised that the councillors are incompetant or have a dubious moral outlook. For those who saw the first part of the recent BBC series the Secret history of the Streets, then it will be even less of a surpise (I have only just watched my recording of it. It was Deptford in london in the 1960s, but councillors are the same everywhere. Officially before the council knocked down most of the houses in the area, surveyers went round and assessed the buildings to see which had to be demolished. However the program found, hidden in the archives some of the actual reports of these surveyers, and many that were passed as OK, good condition etc, just received a condemned notice a few weeks later (with minimal compensation to the owners - how convenient for the council)

I am sure that no one will be surprised that the councillors are incompetant or have a dubious moral outlook. For those who saw the first part of the recent BBC series the Secret history of the Streets, then it will be even less of a surpise (I have only just watched my recording of it. It was Deptford in london in the 1960s, but councillors are the same everywhere. Officially before the council knocked down most of the houses in the area, surveyers went round and assessed the buildings to see which had to be demolished. However the program found, hidden in the archives some of the actual reports of these surveyers, and many that were passed as OK, good condition etc, just received a condemned notice a few weeks later (with minimal compensation to the owners - how convenient for the council)

yes mike i watch that problem and just proves that what we who care about our heritage buildings have been banging on about for years about the powers that be...

lyn

yes mike
just like a building in tyburn road erdington a perfect good building with history and along side the burman factory included and ware houseing
all for nothink just to make it into a car sales plot where is the mentality the minds bogles ; just like last night
The member of the committee said she lived in the particulr area of sheldon and never ever seen the green patch of land through out her entire life of
around tjhat particular area so they granted the go ahead for the four and five bed room houses and i bet that is privately bought houses and not
for th council bennifit and the lady whom does not the area and said she would not go into ither of the two pubs of the aston mannor and the king edwards ; so thats says it all as far as i am concerned ;
have a nice day best wishes astonian;

Well, that's that then. There won't be anything left to recognize this area as it used to be after the King Edward is demolished. So many
pubs being levelled. Landmarks gone forever in most cases.

i afraid so jenny....as isolated as the king edward may look i believe that is has always done good business and such a good strong sturdy building thats hardley falling down around our ears...such a shame..

lyn

hi jennyann .
If you had watched the recording of the meeting on the night at there discussing of the edward it was quite clearly decided there and then;
double barrall talk of the king edwrds fate was already decided long before the so called interview of debate ;a completebunch of clowns
with silly comments and when she said she had never ever been near or yet alone ever visit any of the two pubs and never would do so ; so that speaks for its self ;
what i would like to asked a question ; to anybody on the forum is whom recorded the meeting ; and is it a regular thing to being done ;
and to point out what ever is going on down brays lane ; because one of the committe members said they should not discuss on the recording
of what is planned for brays lane because rummours will fly around ; does anybody know of what brays lane contain; and why keep it from the public domane if they are genuine and want to let the public know what and how they function ;
and thirdly i would like to know or i will be around to see what demo team will be present to demob the king ; as its a disgrace another heritage
of Aston long gone and i wonder if they will plunder another brick from the building before the demo start ;
just like the one of burmans and the ajoining tea rooms of 901 tyburn rd was demo over night and left in a state of a pile of bricks and mortar for about 8 weeks before any removal of debris
rocky lane as gone lichfield rd as gone holburn hill as gone aston hall rd will be gone completely whats next ;sell off half of aston park for housing
there aint much left of aston we will only have a memories still they cannot take that away from us now can they ;
on the subject of the demo of the market where in witton will they build it washwood heathwould be thje better sites of birmingham ; if thats there only choice ;on the old daff site i suggest ; whats your views guys ; best wishes Astonian ;;;;;;

jenny ann
thats said it all then ;no ned to carry on with this thread is it now is it its been well santionioned
by the powers within ; wheres the next one ;?.
have a good day best wishes astonian;

KING EDWARD AND ASTON TAVERN 28.5.2014 003.JPGKING EDWARD AND ASTON TAVERN 28.5.2014 006.JPGKING EDWARD AND ASTON TAVERN 28.5.2014 007.JPGKING EDWARD AND ASTON TAVERN 28.5.2014 009.JPGwell folks this will be the last time i step foot in the king edward...i was allowed in to take a few photos before demo starts very soon for the road widening...i phoned stacey who is the daughter of the ex landlord of the king edward and new owner of the aston tavern who very kindly let me in to take photos and then invited me round to the aston tavern to have a look inside there..will post photos i took of that on the aston tavern thread when time permits...another sad day to see that yet another perfectly strong building will be raised to the ground very soon along with the nearby aston social club and the aventurers pub.

lyn

Last edited:
Oh Lyn., That beautiful, wonderful, amazing staircase. Those incredibly stunning tiles... the lighting .......#sob#

There is one thing, most of the fittings that are salvageable including the tiles and staircase parts will be saved and one day will be fitted elsewhere, as indeed it looks as if quite a few including the bar already have. Practically every part of this building including the bricks will be salvaged. This is the type of building that we would have demolished for a peppercorn fee in my day, but I have heard that such contracts sometimes have to be purchased now.

Yes that is a good thing Phil, though it does not necessarily mean that they will be reused in a context available to most people, but only in some posh club or house of ill-repute inhabited by the denizens of Westminster or the like

There is one thing, most of the fittings that are salvageable including the tiles and staircase parts will be saved and one day will be fitted elsewhere, as indeed it looks as if quite a few including the bar already have. Practically every part of this building including the bricks will be salvaged. This is the type of building that we would have demolished for a peppercorn fee in my day, but I have heard that such contracts sometimes have to be purchased now.

phil i was told that tiles and staircase are to be demolished...they have tried removing the tiles but they cant get them off without them breaking up and even if they could it would take a lifetime to remove them all..they have to be out of the pub by 5th june..light fittings and pumps will be e bayed as will the glasses and seating..the bar which is not an old one has already been moved to the aston tavern and is in situ as you can see from the aston tavern thread..

Last edited:
Huh .. what I think of that couldn't be posted on an open Forum!

same here charlie but i really need to stay a member of this forum so i have got my mouth zipped up and im sitting on me hands with steam coming out of my ears..

Back