• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

King Brothers Coal Yard

ASY

knowlegable brummie
Hi,

Does anybody have information on The King Family Coal Merchants. A section of a current blog Im working on is of Henry King. In 1881 he lived in Cliveland Street. He was born in Randwick, Gloucester and came to Birmingham in 1861. His mother Quilla (great name) sister and Brother George all moved to Aston after Henry.

The story of their life is fascinating. The two brothers became very successful and moved upwards in the late 1890s. I have found some articles showing as "King Brothers Coal Yard" in early 1900s

If anybody could offer any insights into this family I would be very grateful.

Thank you Andy

There seem to be several kings in the coal business. In the 1882 Kellys (which probably refers to 1881, there sfre three people listed as coad dealers:

Kellys 1882 coal dealers.jpg

plus a King George, Heneage Street wharf, who is listed as a coal merchant. I am not quite sure what the difference is between the two terms

• Appreciate
Reactions: ASY
It appears that Henry retired sometime before 1901
Eric and Leonard brothers mentioned below Birmingham Gazette March 1944.
Dealers at Brewery Street from at least 1917 until 1944 mentioned above.

IMG_6598.jpeg

• Appreciate
Reactions: ASY
There seem to be several kings in the coal business. In the 1882 Kellys (which probably refers to 1881, there sfre three people listed as coad dealers:

View attachment 189758

plus a King George, Heneage Street wharf, who is listed as a coal merchant. I am not quite sure what the difference is between the two terms
Thanks Mikejee

I know George King in Heneage Street is the brother off Henry. I didn't notice another George King in Oliver Street, so thank. Its becoming a rags to riches story, I believe they are all related.

Coal Merchant I think that they owned the land. Just found in BNA George offering his "Heneage Street Wharf" for rent at £85 per annum

In 1861 Henry was a boarder in Aston and listed as a railway porter. By the 1871 Census he had become a coal dealer at 170 Belgrave Street, and in 1873 he advertised coal from Cliveland Street.

Last edited:
Mail, November 1882…it appears Henry was owner of other properties.

View attachment 189760
Thats very interesting, at No 42 Henry's mother 'Quilla' moved from Gloucestershire to 42 Cliveland Street in in 1881. I wonder why she moved, but appears Henry was the landlord and helped his mum. Interesting side-story, will have to look into that further. Thank you for that

It appears that Henry retired sometime before 1901
Eric and Leonard brothers mentioned below Birmingham Gazette March 1944.
Dealers at Brewery Street from at least 1917 until 1944 mentioned above.

View attachment 189759
another great find thank you. So King Brothers I think started in 1880s between John and George and passed down. I know Henrys son John stayed in the business and became very wealthy. So maybe this was where the route went.

A very interesting and informative read thank-you. People talk of the horrors of back2backs, thankfully as a child living in one of these I must have been very fortunate that living conditions had improved dramatically by then. Reading this article I consider myself extremely lucky.

Pretty grim. Relevant to most people whose ancestors lived in Bham in the 19th century.

A very interesting and informative read thank-you. People talk of the horrors of back2backs, thankfully as a child living in one of these I must have been very fortunate that living conditions had improved dramatically by then. Reading this article I consider myself extremely lucky.
1860s to 1900s period was a very difficult, with the very poor being trodden on all the time. I do find the more research I do into the streets and individuals, I find myself feeling their despair even though its 130 years ago and I am not connected to them at all. Although my ancestry is from the same streets all the way back to 1750's and were their neighbours

Last edited:
Back