• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Key Hill Cemetery

Hi Wendy, as promised, the attachments. The graves are located just as you go in the main entrance in the section on the right.

Terry

Fantastic photos Polly
sign0098.gif

Thanks for the link Wendy - it is a very interesting article. I hope one day the mystery is solved.

Polly :)

Hello wendy,
can you have a look to see if any VILE family members are buried at the cemetery. I have just sterted to research this branch.
many thanks,
steve.

Hi Steve, just saw your post, and cannot see any Vile people in Key Hill. However there is a close match in Warstone Lane -
VILES Elizabeth 1872
1314 15393

Hope this helps

Brian

Hi, I have just joined this site...this is my first communication. I was born in Dudley Road Hospital and lived at 2/227, Icknield Street, Hockley , opposite the Birmingham Mint and Warstone Lane Cemetary.
I was an only child, mother left my father and I when I was 4yrs old in 1947. I used to play in the cemetary.I loved the trees, birds and flowers on the graves. There was not a single blade of grass in the neighbourhood except in the cemetary. Some of my cousins worked in the factories in Warstone Lane and the Jewellery Quarter, Gaunt's and Payton Pepper etc.
My Uncle was a Manufacturing Jeweller and as a teen-ager I worked in the Quarter. Later moved away and emigrated in 1967 to Vancouver, Canada. Now residing there for 46 years.
I visit the U.K. frequently. Lots of my relatives have died. I love Canada, its an amazing country...yet, like the salmon I return in my heart and soul to my Mother country England. I am very proud to be British, and educated in the U.K. although basic, it has stood me in good staid as I have had further education in Canada, truly a land of opportunity. I did attend Tilton Road Girls School, Small Heath, left in 1959. It would be wonderful to talk with someone who could perhaps relate to me! Cheerio for now, Julianne

Hello Julianne its lovely to hear from you. I didn't live in the area but visited when I was young and often as a teenager. I didn't descover Key Hill Cemetery untill 2003 when I started my family history and descovered my family were buried in the cemetery. You must have some wonderful memories of the place from when you were a child. I was captivated from my first visit. I love to go to 'the quarter' and visit when I can. I have my jewellery repaired there at Moors in Vyse Street as they do a great job. The Jewellers Arms is a nice pub with good food which we have visited in a group from this forum. There are many on here who have several memories of the area. I look forward to reading more stories. Thank you Wendy:)

Hi Wendy

Are you still doing lookups? If so, could you please have a look for Evan Arthur Rowlands (died 1929) and Ellen Rowlands they are buried together.

Many thanks

Karen

Julianne: My grandparents lived @ 6/224 Icknield Street after they were bombed out in Camden Drive, so not too far from you!

Hi Wendy

Are you still doing lookups? If so, could you please have a look for Evan Arthur Rowlands (died 1929) and Ellen Rowlands they are buried together.

Many thanks

Karen
Hi Karen the grave is in section R grave no 393.
Here is the inscription
Arthur Rowlands died October 11th 1929 aged 35 years. Ellen Rowlands Fu Farw Rhag, 17 e g 1920 oed 53. Notes inscribed kerbs (part buried) & corner posts.

Hi Wendy :)

Are you still doing lookups please ?
I'm Hoping you can help me with Key Hill
I have been to the library to look at the burial registers but some of the pages are so hard to read it's impossible on some of the pages

Is there anywhere i can look for Monumental Inscriptions for Key Hill ?
Is there anything on
Emma Markland died 1921
George Hitchman 1891
Charlotte Hitchman 1878
Pleasance Hitchman 1898
Ada Mary Stout 1890 (On fmp it says 2nd in grave and MI)
James Price 1864
William Price 1854
William Price 1851
Joseph Higinson 1860
Samuel Asbury 1879

I would be very very grateful

Hi Brummagen_lass here is what I have found.
Emma Markland buried 1921 section L grave 231
George Hitchman buried 1891 Section G7 vault
James Price buried 1864 Vault 5 corridor this may be a cattacomb but not sure
William Price buried 1854 section D grave 130
William Price buried 1851 section D grave 89
Joseph Higinson buried 1860 sectin A grave 201
Samuel Asbury buried 1879 G7 vault.

I have Ada Mary Stout buried 1899 and Elsie Mary Stout 1888 section Q grave 566. Sadly the memorial inscription is missing from my book but I can take a photo on my next visit and give you the inscription.
Lastly Pleasance Hitchman buried in 1898 grave S20 this is a public grave but has a memorial for those able or willing to pay. In loving memory Pleasance Hitchman who died January 15th 1898 aged 80 years.

Wendy you are an absolute star

Surprised Charlotte's not there

Just out of Interest is this information for Key Hill and Warstone going to be for sale at anytime on Disc ?
I would love to buy it if it was

Thank you Very Very Much
Very Much appreciated

Hi Kal sorry I missed Charlott she is in L7 vault. I was a bit tired last night been decorating all day...lol

I don't know if these will ever come up for sale. I have them with permission of the BMSGH specifically to use here to help people locate their family graves.

I will try and get a photo of the Stout grave for you soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kal called in to Key Hill quickly today and found that there is no memorial for Ada and Elsie Stout. Here is a picture of the missing grave between 565 and 567 so I apologize to Dick Empson who did the inscriptions because it was never there. I also took a photo of the inscription for Pleasance Hitchman on the public graves in section S.

Pleasance_Hitchman_Key_Hill_Cemetery_edited.jpg
Stout_grave_Q_556_Key_Hill_edit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Wendy, I wonder if you would be kind enough to look for the following 2 burials please ?

KATE HALE 1915 ( infant) Reg No 80506 at Warstone Lane.

ANN ELIZABETH GARDNER BROUGH 1946 Reg No 98326 Warstone.

Many Thanks,
Margaret.

Hi Margaret

Sorry my Warstone Lane records are not complete and they are not on mine. Hopefully I will get my updated version next week. Brian may be able to help if he sees this.

Hi Margaret - just popped in for a look see on the forum -
Hale​
Kate 1915 P 1846 80506
Brough Ann Elizabeth Gardner 1946​
T 1298-1312-1313 98326 1

I think P1846 is an unmarked public grave behind the Mint. T1298-1312-1313 seems a funny ref - possibly a large triple grave family vault? Near Icknield St.

View attachment 63725HALE

Back