• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Key Hill Cemetery

W

Wendy

IMG_1163_Key_Hill_Edited.jpg
Here's a photo of Key Hill cemetery in Hockley. I thought I would post this as not many people visit. If your family were non conformist its likely they were buried here. My lot lived in Lozells but because they were baptists they were burid here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hasluck headstone at Key Hill

I have posted the newspaper report on the drowning accident at the bottom of this Monument on the accidents post!

Hello Astonian, Yes I know what you mean about visiting the cemeterys especially in the Jewellery quarter as there is no one looking after them or on site. It still amazes me that the final resting place of our famous industralists is just left for these idiots to destroy. I am a friend of Key Hill Cemetery who have been campagning for a few years for improvements but this is difficult as it is owned by city council and they won't spend money on something that costs money and brings in no revenue. I have to say after lobbying from the comittee of the "friends" the council have improved the paths in the cemetery and put up a ballard to stop cars driving round and crashing into headstones. I love the cemetery it has such an atmosphere and I love to walk around but I would never go alone. There is a beautiful screen for the war dead at the top of the cemetery and just past it are the public graves where I took my photo's. I personally have two family graves at Key Hill one with a headstone (which is flat on the ground) the other I found was removed in 1953. I have some lovely photos of the cemetery I can post but I didn't want to clog up the site. There is also a lot of information about Key Hill in the Pen Museum as a lot of the pen makers are buried in Key Hill. I will Post the photo's of the other public graves. Perhaps a few of us who are interested could meet and go to the cemeteries together the yobs don't seem to bother groups. There used to be organised walks but sadly Arthur Smith who used to do them passed away last year. I will also pot a photo I have of us at the cemetery. If I can help at all please let me know.

]
Arthur_Smith_Key_Hill_open_day_2005.jpg
This photo of Arthur Smith was taken at Key Hill open Day 2005.

Thanks For Your Reply
I Certainly Lookforewarded To You Posting The Photos
And I Certainly Would Like Very Much To Get Involved With Your Project On The Key Hill Friends Involved With The Cem,s
If You Can Give Me More Info. It Would Be Very Much Appre;'
I Went Down To Key Hill Last Year And As I Have Previously Said
I Could Not Find Any Of The Public Graves
Even Thou I Got A Map Plan Of The Grave And Number
I Was Totally Disapointed In Not Finding It
Still I Captured The Scenery And The Magigal Airy Feeling
And The Transquil Of The Cem .
I Walked Through To The Inlaid Tombs And Got Some Pics Of Them
And One Or Two Of The Chamberlins
I Was Also Looking For One Of The Druids Stone
What Cromwell Mentioned Some Time Ago
But Failed To Spot It .
Still If You Are Serious About Joining Forces
That Will Be Great
I Actually Live In A Village In Worcester , Called Hartlebury
But I Do Drive , So There,s No Problem In Getting To Brum .
Speak To You Again Soon I Hope
Best Wishes Astonian ;;;

Hello Astonian, Its always nice to hear from someone who cares about these cemeteries. I got involved with Key Hill initially because of my family that are buried there but I soon became more involved after visiting the place. I was on the committee but had to leave when my mother became ill and subsiquently passed away I had so many family commitments. I am still a member and try to support whatever they do. This year there is an annual general meeting at St Pauls Church followed by An Evening With Carl Chinn at 7.30. Tickets for the evening are members £5 none members £6 all procedes towards the restoration of the cemetery. Membership for The Friends Of Key Hill Cemetery is £10 single £15 couple. Cheques should be sent with your address and detais to "Friends Of Key Hill" 31 Wingfield House, Kingshurst Way, Birmingham B37 6DY.

Thanks for clarifing that Cromwell I thought I had never heard of a Druid Grave at Key Hill. Many people confuse the cemeteries because they are close. Also they have had different names over the years as you say the Warstone Lane, The Mint Cemetery. Key Hill,The General Cemetary and the Old Cemetery.I have walked been round Warstone Lane and Key Hill in the same day not on my own I might add! Pehaps we should start a Warstone Lane post on the cemeteries list and that would save confusion.

Key_Hill_17_July_04_black_and_white_002_edit.jpg
Here's a lovely photo of Key Hill Cemetery. I am not sure of the date possibly the 1940's. I still can't believe that that wonderful chapel was demolished in the 1960's

Tolkien Family Grave

Here is a photo of Tolkien family grave. Tolkien himself is not here though he is buried in Wolvercote Cemetery in Oxford. I have typed out the inscription as its not very clear on the photo.

FRANK TOLKIEN. BORN JULY 28th 1864. DIED APRIL 24th 1867.
HOWARD CHARLES TOLKIEN. BORN DECEMBER 27th 1866. DIED OCTOBER 27th 1867.
THE DEVOTED CHILDREN OF
JOHN BENJAMN AND MARY JANE TOLKIEN,
OF HANDSWORTH.
ALSO
ARTHUR REUEL TOLKIEN,
THEIR SON,
WHO DIED AT BLOEMFONTIEN, SOUTH AFRICA
FEBRUARY 15th 1896,
AGED 38 YEARS.
ALSO THE ABOVE NAMED JOHN BENJAMIN TOLKIEN WHO DIED AUGUST 1st 1896, AGED 89 YEARS.
ALSO OF
MARY JANE TOLKIEN,
WHO DIED FEBRUARY 13th 1915,
AGED 81 YEARS
ALSO
WILFRID HENRY TOLKIEN, WHO DIED AUGUST 8th 1938, AGED 68 YEARS.

Tolkien_Memorial.JPG

The Friends of Key Hill Cemetery are holding their AGM on Thursday 29 th March 2007 at 6.30 pm St Pauls Church,St Pauls Square,Hockley.
Followed by An Evening With Carl Chinn at 7.30 Tickets are members £5 none members £6. All funds raised will go towards restoration of the cemetery.

Key Hill Map

Key_Hill_map_edit.jpg
Here's a map of Key Hill Cemetery

Key Hill/Warstone Lane

Is the Tolkien memorial grave in Key Hill Cemetery?
My grandparents are buried in Warstone Lane Cemetery, I knew where the grave was - but it wasn't! Checked with B'ham Cemeteries Dept and they confirmed that it should be there - it ain't! Seems to have sunk without trace and my gran's burial was only in 1951. Anyone know how it could be restored, or marked out or something? And would this be expensive?
Thanks
Charlie

Hello Charlie, Yes the Tolkien memorial is in Key Hill not sure how many of the family are buried there.
My grandfathers grave has completely gone he died in 1954, sadly it is usually due to either vandalism or detiriaton. I have found through my research a lot of cemeteries were "cleared" in the 1960's I have been told they even used damaged headstones as hardcore for the roads. The records for both Key Hill and Warstone Lane are held at Handsworth they should be able to tell you where your grave was although they may charge. Like Witton its down to staffing levels so a personal call could work for you. I have no idea of cost for reinstating a grave or if it can be done. Good Luck!

Hello Wendy,
There were just kerbstones around grandparents grave and it was under a tree next to Pitsford Street. No headstone, and I know exactly where the grave is (was?). Being under a tree I think they must have, literally, gone back to their roots!!!
I must try and find out how to re-instate it, so perhaps a word at Handsworth Cemetery might do the trick.
I shall call and see the Tolkien gravestone asap. Is it at the top (Key Hill/Key Hill Terrace) or the bottom end (Icknield Street) of the graveyard please? Bet it's in the middle - that could take a while to find then!!
Many thanks
Charlie

Hello Charlie, I hope you can get something done about your grandparents grave. Please let me know how you get on. The Tolkien grave is in front of the catacoombs so yes in the middle its a flat slab. Please Charlie if you can go with someone I would advise it, its not a nice area to be on your own. If you go to the Pen Room its on the corner of Fredrick Street in the Jewellery Quarter, they have a lot of info on Key Hill because of the Pen makers Gillott, Sheldon, Hinks, ect buried there.

Thanks Moma P. I've been to the Pen Museum a few times, the people are so friendly there. I know what you mean about going with others to Key Hill, I usually go with the cousins I met on Genes Reunited and we "walk the walk" where the ancestors used to live (sad, ain't it?) Birmingham did a series of walks either last year or the year before, with Chris Upton as the guide. We went round the Jewellery Quarter and Key Hill Cem. It was fascinating. George Dawson's grave, the Chamberlain family, Mr Bird or Birds Custard - everyone who was anyone's grave's there, as long as they were non-conformists. Let's hope they repeat some of the walks this summer - I'll let you know if I see them advertised anywhere.
Cheers
Charlie

Hello Charlie, I must admit I love to walk around Key Hill it has an amazing atmosphere. I have been on Chris's walks, I think he is very interesting and amusing. I have met him a few times and love his books about Birmingham. I know a few of the "important" graves including the 14 members of my Jennings family buried there. Perhaps we could meet up with people on the forum who would like to go for a walk round. I can't believe how many important people are buried at Key Hill like Joseph and James Tangye who's jacks launched Brunell's ship. John Henderson from Fox Henderson who built the framework of Chrystal Palace and the roof of New Street station.Robert Lucas Chance of Chance Glass.The Martineau's are there also but now have no headstone. There is a Victorian urinal as well! Although the cemetery is mainly non conformist there are some C of E as well. Please let me know if you see any walks advertised thanks Moma P.

New Zealand Connection

I thought this memorial at Key Hill Cemetery worth posting because of the New Zealand connection.

William Mitchell

Here's the grave of William Mitchell the pen maker at Key Hill Cemetery.

There wouldn't happen to be a John Bartlett or Bartlett family buried at Key Hill would there. He died in 1858 I may have mentioned this before I know he had some estate on Key Hill and Hockley Hill.

Fergie, I only have photo's of mainly manufactures at Key Hill which I have taken myself. To find out for sure if the Bartlett family are in Key Hill you would have to check the burial registers in central library. Also bear in mind this cemetery was mainly non conformist so if they were C of E they may be in Warstone Lane. If the family owned property there is a good chance there may be a memorial.

Thank you for replying, I am fairly new to this and have discovered information that none of my family were aware of. John Bartlett was a malt mill maker/steel mill maker. I'm clutching at straws really since I found an indenture at Birmingham Library that refers to the buildings/tenements/messuages? he had in Key Hill and Hockley Hill. The sad thing is that all this went and his daughter in law my gg grand mother, his grandson my great grandfather are buried in unmarked graves at Brandwood End. I found this information at Birmingham Library and the staff at Brandwood End have been really helpful in guiding me to where they believe the graves are. So I think another trip to the library is in order.

When you go to the library have a look at their photograph collection there are some old ones of Key Hill and surrounding roads. I remember when I was doing some research there I found a photo of a company called Jefcoat removals on Key Hill. This turned out to be my friends gt gt grandfather's buisness. The photo dated from the 1880's. You never know your luck!

Thank you I have been to both floors several times but didn't know that there was a photo collection.

Guess what I went today and that photo of jefcoat removals has gone missing, it would be sad if it hasn't just been mislaid don't you think. While I was ther there were a group of teenagers misbehaving showing no respect when spoken to about their behaviour tut tut!

Key Hill Cem;

Hi Fergie;
I Used To Go To Key Hill On My Ownand I Have Experience
The Same Problem
It Appears To Be The Inplace Now For Todays Youth
Hanging Around In Our Cem; They Followed Me Around
I Got The Gitters And Left Sharpestly .i Dont Go There
Any More , [ Why Do They Want To Hang Around There ]
I Surpose They Are Bored, Or They Want To Take Drugs .
A Couple Of Weeks Ago I Went To Saint Barnabys
In Erdinton To Meet Our Friend [ Dolly Feet Pete ]
But Unfortuately Pete Never Showed
Whilst I Was Trying To Discover My Grand Parents
Grave That Pete Fell Into And He Informed Me
Of His Discovery
Any Way Whilst Waiting For Dolly I Went Around The
Back Of The Church, And There Is A Memorial Stone
And Lord And Behold There Was Two Youths On
A Blankett Injecting Themselves With A Needles
I Went Into The Church To Find Someone
They Called The Communety Officiers
But The Time They Came They Had Gonre
These Kids Was About Thirteen Years Of Age
Sad Aint It
Thats Why I Say It Must Be The In Place
Have A Nice Day Best Wishes Astonian

Hello Fergie, Sorry I have not replied but I have been away and have just read your thread. I don't know what to say I have seen this photo and a friend of mine ordered a copy which cost her about £8. I think it must have been mislaid or borrowed by an ortharised person. I am shocked to hear they are telling you its missing. I also think the security in this section of the library is lax when you think of the documents and photo's they have. I will ask my friend if she can scan her photo and I will let you know if I have any luck. Moma P.:|

Fergie my friend has sent me the photo of the Jefcoat house on Key Hill if you PM me with your email I will send it to you with her email address. Wendy. (Moma P)

Back