• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Keogh Sarah

nimrod1947

master brummie
Looking for information on Sarah Keogh born about 1885. She was married to a Benjamin Ackrell and later to David Downing. Believe she came from Tipton. She lived in Winson Green with David Downing she had 3 children with David and died about 1954. Would be grateful for any information on the lady who was my Grandmother.

Sarah Keogh, born Wolverhampton 1884, daughter of Joseph Keogh and Sarah Conlon. Birth registered Mar qtr 1885, baptised 21 Dec 1884 Wolverhampton.

Children of Sarah and Benjamin...

Benjamin Philip, reg Jun qtr 1905 Bham.
Hilda, reg Mar qtr 1909 Bham.
Reginald, reg Jun qtr 1913 Bham.
Eileen Beatrice, reg Jun qtr 1916.

I'm guessing that the other 2 Ackrill/Keogh children registered - Dennis D and Patricia S - are children of Sarah and David as they are both also listed as Downing.

benjamin was 14 years younger than sarah....here they are on the 1911 census

benjamin ackrell age 40 tube drawer out of work born birmingham
wife sarah age 26...born wolverhampton...they had been married for 7 years
3 children born only 2 living
son benjamin age 5
daughter hilda age 2

address is....18 icknield square ladywood...looks like benjamin died in 1925 in birmingham

here is a copy of the 1911 census hope you find it usefully as it is signed by benjamin

lyn

Attachments

• benjamin ackrell 1911.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Sarah had at least one brother and three sisters all born Wolverhampton...

James 1881, Catherine/Kate/Kathleen 1883, Mary 1887 & Ann 1890.

In 1891 they all living with their parents at Little Lane, Wolverhampton.

In 1901 though Sarah (mother) was a boarder of a Michael Doyle at Charles St, Wolverhampton.

Can't see Joseph, Ann had died and the others are living separately.

Joseph and Sarah married 25 Nov 1880 at St Patrick's, Wolverhampton. Joseph was born in Wolverhampton to Irish parents and Sarah was born in county Mayo.

Sarah Keogh, born Wolverhampton 1884, daughter of Joseph Keogh and Sarah Conlon. Birth registered Mar qtr 1885, baptised 21 Dec 1884 Wolverhampton.

Children of Sarah and Benjamin...

Benjamin Philip, reg Jun qtr 1905 Bham.
Hilda, reg Mar qtr 1909 Bham.
Reginald, reg Jun qtr 1913 Bham.
Eileen Beatrice, reg Jun qtr 1916.

I'm guessing that the other 2 Ackrill/Keogh children registered - Dennis D and Patricia S - are children of Sarah and David as they are both also listed as Downing.
Thank you for the information, little bit to add is third child of Sarah and David is Kathleen Mary Elizabeth my mother.

Back