• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Keith Berry's Photos (bhf Recovered)

Keith Berry visited George Street Lozells in the 1970s and photographed some houses being refurbished.
a44where5.jpg

Many years later in 2006 he revisited the street and photographed it showing that the houses were looking good, and the church roof had been re-tiled.
b27GeorgeSt.jpg

Recently Google went along the street and their photo shows the houses still looking good but the church appears to have been replaced by a new building ... still a church, maybe it is nice inside.
cGeorgeSt2016.JPG
Last edited: Aug 5, 2016

Last edited:
Concerning post 32......The two photographs are of the maisonettes which are still standing in Philips Street in Aston, close to the Aston Manor school, I had a couple of mates who lived in them during the 1960's, I think they are the only dwellings that survived the redevelopment of that area......

re photos post 41 a view very familiar to me as lived just a little way down in villa street and walked up george st either to the villa cross pic house or to go shopping with our mom...the old church you can just see is the weslyan chapel and it was in this church that aston villa football club was formed...the area was originally called aston villa...i was very sad when the church was demolished and replaced by a new one especially given its connection with the football club

lyn

OldMohawk has solved a problem for me. I now live 15 miles from Hay on Wye. In the 70s I was living in London but often visited there. I have been puzzled about where a particular bookshop was then but isn’t there now but now I know.
Seeing the streets in Birmingham were I spent my youth and were friends and family lived makes me very sad; but they are a treasure chest. Many thanks

What a spectacular collection, and so well noted. The memories they brought back made it seem like yesterday I was walking there,or had something to do with work, or running at Birchfield Harriers. And my wife, who was then my girlfriend
running the totaliser at the Greyhound track on Saturday nights. I plan to do a complete review and will keep in touch. One thing for certain None of us have really progressed - but gone backward

What a spectacular collection, and so well noted. The memories they brought back made it seem like yesterday I was walking there,or had something to do with work, or running at Birchfield Harriers. And my wife, who was then my girlfriend
running the totaliser at the Greyhound track on Saturday nights. I plan to do a complete review and will keep in touch. One thing for certain None of us have really progressed - but gone backward
Absolutly spectactular collection with excellent notes!

Thank you!

Absolutly spectactular collection with excellent notes!

Thank you!
Page 1 photo 48 I agree I think it's the other will it's shop in collage rd .I lived in Devonshire rd for short time in 2000 and saw one of the staff , Barbra there from the long gone old shop on villa road. Ps wonderful photos.

Concerning post 32......The two photographs are of the maisonettes which are still standing in Philips Street in Aston, close to the Aston Manor school, I had a couple of mates who lived in them during the 1960's, I think they are the only dwellings that survived the redevelopment of that area......

Attachments

• philip st.png
    philip st.png
    861.2 KB · Views: 19
for anyone interested in keith berrys collection you will find the whole 600 photos on below thread...very kindly recovered by oldmohawk after keiths database was closed down after his death

Attachment #4 Picture 28 taken by Keith Berry incorrectly states houses awaiting demolition Carlyle Road, it is HARTING ROAD, which runs from Lozells Road to Carlyle Road.

Attachment #2 Old Birmingham Page 2, photo number 20 is not Terrace Road with its junction with Soho Hill and Hamstead Road it is WREATHAM ROAD.

As a lot of you know the amazing photography of Keith Berry and most of you are also aware that he passed away.
I have been in touch with the hosting company who displayed his gallery, and asked if it was possible to still view his gallery.
they said that his account had been closed because of non payment of their fees.
I explained that it is very hard for someone to make payments when they are dead and I would willingly pay the outstanding amount if they continue to show his gallery.
I have just received their final word on the subject and it aint good news...

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately this account has been deleted. Please let me know if you have any other
questions.

Thanks,
Ashlee
PBase Support

Sorry for the bad news but there is nothing further anyone can do..
Jim
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Attachment #2 Old Birmingham Page 2, photo number 20 is not Terrace Road with its junction with Soho Hill and Hamstead Road it is WREATHAM ROAD.
Thanks for the information. I simply copied Keith Berry's comments and put them under his photos. As mentioned earlier in the thread they had disappeared off Pbase so I had to get them from the 'wayback machine' which was a bit tricky. I did notice a few errors myself and corrected them. I also noticed that he over-sharpened some photos but he operated in the early days of computing and it must have been difficult on the computer he had as shown below.
62591954.3M8jXAMX.jpg
The pdf files are stored on the forum's image host server so it might take me some time to find them and alter them.

Attachment #4 Picture 28 taken by Keith Berry incorrectly states houses awaiting demolition Carlyle Road, it is HARTING ROAD, which runs from Lozells Road to Carlyle Road.
It definitely is Harting Road see a map below. I had forgotten about some forum discussions 10 years ago in the 'people thread' see link below
I notice back then that I had the name of the road incorrect :rolleyes:Nice large pic in #797.
1914 map
download map.png

Back