• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Keith Berry's Photos (bhf Recovered)

oldMohawk

master brummie
Keith Berry visited George Street Lozells in the 1970s and photographed some houses being refurbished.
a44where5.jpg

Many years later in 2006 he revisited the street and photographed it showing that the houses were looking good, and the church roof had been re-tiled.
b27GeorgeSt.jpg

Recently Google went along the street and their photo shows the houses still looking good but the church appears to have been replaced by a new building ... still a church, maybe it is nice inside.
cGeorgeSt2016.JPG
Last edited: Aug 5, 2016

Last edited:

aston lad

master brummie
Concerning post 32......The two photographs are of the maisonettes which are still standing in Philips Street in Aston, close to the Aston Manor school, I had a couple of mates who lived in them during the 1960's, I think they are the only dwellings that survived the redevelopment of that area......

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
re photos post 41 a view very familiar to me as lived just a little way down in villa street and walked up george st either to the villa cross pic house or to go shopping with our mom...the old church you can just see is the weslyan chapel and it was in this church that aston villa football club was formed...the area was originally called aston villa...i was very sad when the church was demolished and replaced by a new one especially given its connection with the football club

lyn

Michael_Ingram

master brummie
OldMohawk has solved a problem for me. I now live 15 miles from Hay on Wye. In the 70s I was living in London but often visited there. I have been puzzled about where a particular bookshop was then but isn’t there now but now I know.
Seeing the streets in Birmingham were I spent my youth and were friends and family lived makes me very sad; but they are a treasure chest. Many thanks

owerkid

Brummie babby
What a spectacular collection, and so well noted. The memories they brought back made it seem like yesterday I was walking there,or had something to do with work, or running at Birchfield Harriers. And my wife, who was then my girlfriend
running the totaliser at the Greyhound track on Saturday nights. I plan to do a complete review and will keep in touch. One thing for certain None of us have really progressed - but gone backward

Richarddye

master brummie
What a spectacular collection, and so well noted. The memories they brought back made it seem like yesterday I was walking there,or had something to do with work, or running at Birchfield Harriers. And my wife, who was then my girlfriend
running the totaliser at the Greyhound track on Saturday nights. I plan to do a complete review and will keep in touch. One thing for certain None of us have really progressed - but gone backward
Absolutly spectactular collection with excellent notes!

Thank you!

NoelleO 64

master brummie
Absolutly spectactular collection with excellent notes!

Thank you!
Page 1 photo 48 I agree I think it's the other will it's shop in collage rd .I lived in Devonshire rd for short time in 2000 and saw one of the staff , Barbra there from the long gone old shop on villa road. Ps wonderful photos.

mw0njm.

Brummie Dude
Concerning post 32......The two photographs are of the maisonettes which are still standing in Philips Street in Aston, close to the Aston Manor school, I had a couple of mates who lived in them during the 1960's, I think they are the only dwellings that survived the redevelopment of that area......

Attachments

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
for anyone interested in keith berrys collection you will find the whole 600 photos on below thread...very kindly recovered by oldmohawk after keiths database was closed down after his death