• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

KEEP LEFT FOR THE DOLLS CLUB

digbeth flyover

must admit this is one of my personnel
favourites of digbeth flyover,
a couple of photo,s back at the start
of the flyover,on the left, there used to be a shop if you were a biker, called

the red house that sold secondhand bike spares,spent
many an hour trying to find the part to keep my
triumph speedtwin or later my thunderbird on the road,
happy days. regards dereklcg.

Attachments

• Bordesley High St 1961.JPG
    Bordesley High St 1961.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 10
... but what about the Doll's Club? Wasn't that equally important to our history (it was to mine)?
lachen.gif

Almost forgotten about that high class evening haunt;)
All I can say is you shouldn't get right next to the stage if you were wearing glasses! Anyone out there who did will know what happened.:D
On a serious note, I've spent the whole of today (almost) looking at the wonderful old pics on this forum.

The Dolls Club ,

I Can Recall The Dolls Club At Camp Hill Along Side The Fly Over
Can Some -one Tell Me ,or Correct Me ,if I Am Wrong
Which Way Was It ,
Was It The Dolls Club First, Then Changed To The Daddy Long Legs Club, Or Was It The Other Way Around ,?,
Had Some Good Nights There Even Thou The Beerwas Rubbish
Best Wishes Astonian ,;;;;

I remember many bus journeys on the 154 Midland Red, to and from Shirley, going over the "Tin Bridge". What a smashing view from the top deck!

My dad was a Traffic Technician for Birmingham Corporation, and then the West Mids., when it all changed over.
He had something to do with the logistics of it when it was planned I think.

The bridge was intended to last 10 years!:)

I know he did all the surveys for the "new" parking meter bays in the 60s.

I used to drive 154s over that bridge! (and 150s, 179s, 181s, and various other services). The first time was scary, watching both sides in the mirror and praying you didn't clip the curb and crash through the flimsy-looking sides!
One day I got half way and met a car coming the other way! If you weren't a local you could easily mix up the lanes despite 'no entry' signs and this is what the poor flustered motorist did! he wasn't much good at reversing, either and took ages to back down to Stratford Rd and go the right way.

The bridge was a 'temporary' one, to relieve congestion at the Camp Hill / Coventry Rd junction. As has been said, it did the job so well they didn't bother to improve the junction for 20 years! The bridge was dismantled and I believe went into store somewhere, ready to be used again elsewhere if needed!

We used to catch buses for one stop to go over the flyover. If you get upstairs at the front it was the closest thing to flying we could find.

Having a browse and came across this memory jogging Thread. The flyover was manufactured by Gardiners of Bristol who built another one for Bristol around the same time. That one was near the Temple Meads Station in Bristol and long gone now. Both flyovers were put up in a field outside Bristol before delivery to make sure they were completely to design and sound.
I remember the first time I drove over it with my first son when he was about 3. There was a sharp intake of breath from the back of the car. "Alright Adrian" his mum asked him. "Yes, it's alright, I thought Dad was driving up the back of a car transporter" he said.
One day a Midland Red single decker ran into the side of the flover on it's way into the City. No damage was done to the structure but it didn't do the bus a lot of good.

Here's another different pic but with a City Transport bus.

Attachments

• Camp Hill Flyover (5).JPG
    Camp Hill Flyover (5).JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:
Two photos of Camp Hill. The flyover and Stratford Rd off Camp Hill.

Attachments

• Camp Hill Nr Flyover.jpg
    Camp Hill Nr Flyover.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Camp Hill Stratford Rd.jpg
    Camp Hill Stratford Rd.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 12
The Ship Inn (aka The Anchor) built 1760, a coaching inn at the corner of Camp Hill & Sandy Lane, the pre flyover Ship inn was built over the site of the old one and was demolished when the flyover was put in place.

Attachments

• Camp Hill Ship (2) Camp Hill.jpg
    Camp Hill Ship (2) Camp Hill.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 7
I was about to ask the same question.
Was he lost, out of service and forgot to change his sign?
i,m sure someone will know.
regards derek.

THANK YOU NICK ,
FOR PUTTING THE RECORD STRAIGHT IN MY MIND ,
PERHAPS THE OLD BOY THOUGHT HE WAS TRAVELLING THROUGH DALE END
I DID,NT KNOW MY SELF , I THOUGHT I HAD LEART SOME THINK, APPARRENTLY NOT
I NOTICED TSB , AND LLOYEDS FORMED TOGETHER SOME YEARS AGO ,
WELL MANY YEARS AGO , DID,NT THE TSB , USED TO BE KNOWN AS THE MUNICAL BANK OF B,HAM
BEFORE IT BECAME THE TSB ,
BECAUSE WHEN I WAS YOUNG ,I HAD AN ACCOUNT WITH THEM AT ASTON CROSS BRANCH ,
AND WHEN I WAS WORKING AT TUBES LIMITED ,
THANKS FOR SHOWING THE INFO;; ON THE BANKS , NICK ,, BEST WISHES FOR 2007 , ASTONIAN ,;;;;;

You are right Astonian. My parents used to bank at the Municipal Bank on Villa Road, Handsworth, which later became the TSB.

The No.8 would be from Liverpool Street Garage going out 'Special' to take up service from Stratford Road/Stoney Lane junction.

A pic here of the opening of the flyover back in 1961.

Attachments

• Deritend Camp Hill Flyover Opening Day 15.10.1961.jpg
    Deritend Camp Hill Flyover Opening Day 15.10.1961.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 11
I and many others have taken a double decker bus over the flyover in exces of 30 mph and there wasnt a lot of room each side.

Late 50s or early 60s. I worked for Golden Line Private Hire. Monique was well known in those days. One of Golden Lines cars went to pick up at The Dolls Club. Because the road was not too wide as it went round the corner, the driver parked on the footpath. The cellar door caved in and the car ended up in the cellar.

Re: The Dolls Club ,

I Can Recall The Dolls Club At Camp Hill Along Side The Fly Over
Can Some -one Tell Me ,or Correct Me ,if I Am Wrong
Which Way Was It ,
Was It The Dolls Club First, Then Changed To The Daddy Long Legs Club, Or Was It The Other Way Around ,?,
Had Some Good Nights There Even Thou The Beerwas Rubbish
Best Wishes Astonian ,;;;;

It was the Dolls Club.,then Daddy Long Leggs.

All the missing photo on the thread have nowbeen replaced by the original posters or by the efforts of the moderation teamwith images the same as or as near possible to the originals.

Back