• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jeans Cafe - Silver Street, Kings Heath

Hi All,

HELP. I know that I am old but I did not think that my memory had deserted me completely. For a few years from 1965 I served at Kings Heath Police Station. I simply do not remember a fire station in Silver Street. I remember International Stock and the off-licence well. The fire station for the area was Billesley and I suppose there could have been a fire station in Silver Street before Billesley opened. Can anyone enlighten me?

Old Boy
Yes the station was there next to the public works depot, I lived in Highbury Rd as a kid in the 60'.

Yes the station was there next to the public works depot, I lived in Highbury Rd as a kid in the 60'.

Hi northeder there see you lived in Highbury Road, though you were a child when you moved there and not knowing how long or if you still live there, you did not know my Great Uncle & Aunt Florrie and Bill Finch brother and sister both never married, both worked at Cadburys, Bill used to ride a bike and he had a hump on his back, think he had this from a very young age, some say it was from polio, they would of been inn there early 60´s in 1960, they lived at number 54.Went to show my daughter where they lived a few years ago, and was amazed that the same green front door and number are the original ones i remember when i used to visit them as a child in the 60 & 70´s . I did want to take her around the back to show her what the gardens were like and to see if the outside loo was still there. But like other property's in the area the alley´s are now closed off with gates for security. Cheers in advance

Hi northeder there see you lived in Highbury Road, though you were a child when you moved there and not knowing how long or if you still live there, you did not know my Great Uncle & Aunt Florrie and Bill Finch brother and sister both never married, both worked at Cadburys, Bill used to ride a bike and he had a hump on his back, think he had this from a very young age, some say it was from polio, they would of been inn there early 60´s in 1960, they lived at number 54.Went to show my daughter where they lived a few years ago, and was amazed that the same green front door and number are the original ones i remember when i used to visit them as a child in the 60 & 70´s . I did want to take her around the back to show her what the gardens were like and to see if the outside loo was still there. But like other property's in the area the alley´s are now closed off with gates for security. Cheers in advance
Hi Castlla, sorry I don't recall the Finches, but a house close to 54 had the front room converted into a cafe that was the mid to late 60's. I lived the other end by Station road.

Thanks for that, was to young to remember a cafe, i have seen a picture i think on this forum of a shop on the corner of Highbury road called Finches, don´t know if it was one of my long lost relations yet again thank you..

Back