• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jeans Cafe - Silver Street, Kings Heath

kittykickflip

Brummie babby
Hi everyone,

A neighbour of mine's grandmother used to run a Jeans Cafe on Silver Street in Kings Heath, she was there as a little girl in the 50s/60s and would love to see a photograph of the place. Jean used to feed the men in the fire station across the road.

I have been told it was directly opposite the fire station - and am assuming it was to the left of the off-licence in the third photo

I have trawled the internet and this site and can only find these photos - if anyone can help me, I would be very grateful!

Kings Heath Silver St  .jpgKings Heath Silver St 2.jpg14SilverStreet.jpg

With thanks,

Kate

Attachments

• Kings Heath Silver St c1960.jpg
    Kings Heath Silver St c1960.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Kings Heath Siver St Sheds  .jpg
    Kings Heath Siver St Sheds .jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 64
This is stirring memories but not sure I am correct. The Tram Sheds were just inside Silver Street before where International Stock are now. I have a vague, though maybe false, memory that the fire station was just past them. I recall seeing a Green Goddess when I worked in Kings Heath around 1958 - 1960.

This site will show the location of the fire station but not a photo. Also check out this site and Colin B's site which is here. And the fire station is shown on this page of Colin's site.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is stirring memories but not sure I am correct. The Tram Sheds were just inside Silver Street before where International Stock are now. I have a vague, though maybe false, memory that the fire station was just past them. I recall seeing a Green Goddess when I worked in Kings Heath around 1958 - 1960.

Was all that in Silver Street ?
Blimey !
As a kid I never could drag myself further than the window of Tommy Godwin's bike shop !

The only cafe I can remember on Silver Street was the Silver Grill o the corner of the High St, but I cant remember what it was before it had a makeover in the 80's.

Phil

Attachments

• Kings Heath Silver Grill Silver St - High St .jpg
    Kings Heath Silver Grill Silver St - High St .jpg
    89 KB · Views: 32
There used to be a Café much further down (left hand side) on a corner - I used to go in there with Hobby Hobday (of 'Hobday's Records' and 'Drayton Radio') for a sandwich and tea before we started work of a morning.

I think the place on the corner used to be a Greengrocers in the 1950's Phil.

I don't remember there being a café opposite the Fire Station although my memories would only go back to the late 50's.
The Fire Station was located opposite what is now the site of Lidl's car park.
The only thing I remember opposite the Fire Station was a car paint workshop, that would have been later in the 60's.
There was (is) a grocery shop located on the corner of Silver Street and Fairfield Road, a little further down the road.

Colin

Colin was it not 'Miniman' that was along there for a while as well?

I lived and worked in kingsheath in the 70s, there was a cafe in Silver St almost next door to a little off licence, at that time there was a warehouse opposite, that sold furniture, clothes, I think it has all changed there now, there are a lot of houses opposite where the cafe was, I dont remember the fire station, but the cafe done very nice sausage and tomatoe sandwiches,
just looked at photos and I think it was too the right off the off licence next to what looks like a bicycle shop, it was definitely in that little block of shops.

'International Stock' are still there Elizabeth. I had a look using Google Earth and the rest of the street is almost unimaginable to what it was.

If I remember right International Stock were originally in Digbeth (I think Rae St ) before moving to Silver St Also had a branch in West Brom which has now closed.Dek

I think it was the other way round Derek. They are still in Digbeth but a different location.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

International stock, yes and they have a big warehouse down digbeth way, I remember the cafe really well,oh my I just looked at google, there is a supermarket where the little shops werw, ther's only a few left right up by the High St it looks very different

Just once in a while this site brings back happy memories for me. In 1959/60 I worked for Kenneth Hirst men’s outfitters, Alcester Rd South, Kings Heath, Birmingham (on the corner of Drayton Rd).
My pal at the time was Alan Fairbrother, he used to deliver "Oriental Spices" to some of the eastern restaurants at that time. They were a few doors away from the Cafe, which I used most days and if he was around we met up for some of the best food in Kings Heath at that time.
So you never know Bernie our path's may have crossed.

Clarkie

Hi All,

HELP. I know that I am old but I did not think that my memory had deserted me completely. For a few years from 1965 I served at Kings Heath Police Station. I simply do not remember a fire station in Silver Street. I remember International Stock and the off-licence well. The fire station for the area was Billesley and I suppose there could have been a fire station in Silver Street before Billesley opened. Can anyone enlighten me?

Old Boy

Old Boy
The fire station . next to the Corporation works depot at the end of silver st, is shown in Kellys until 1962, and is missing 1963 and after. The volunteer fire brigade was apparently formed 1886, and was the largest in the Kings norton division

Hi Mikejee,

Thankyou for putting my mind at rest. It sems that the fire station was demolished in 1962 and I have little doubt that Billesley had been built to replace it.

Old Boy

Just once in a while this site brings back happy memories for me. In 1959/60 I worked for Kenneth Hirst men’s outfitters, Alcester Rd South, Kings Heath, Birmingham (on the corner of Drayton Rd).
My pal at the time was Alan Fairbrother, he used to deliver "Oriental Spices" to some of the eastern restaurants at that time. They were a few doors away from the Cafe, which I used most days and if he was around we met up for some of the best food in Kings Heath at that time.
So you never know Bernie our path's may have crossed.

Clarkie
After school (Handsworth Technical School) I worked for a while at 'Drayton Radio' in Drayton Road.

Hi Bernie
Kenneth Hirst's shop was very long a narrow and the widows extended for quite a length along Drayton Rd, I seem to remember Drayton Radio on the opposite side of the road?

Clarkie

Phil
A lot of people claim copyright over things , but it doesn't necessarily mean they have it, or that the date is right. This photo , dating from some time earlier, seems to agree with it being the station though.

kings_heath_fire_station2.jpg

There was a fire station in Silver Street since 1886, over the years it moved three times from one site to another, the last station was built in 1925 between 15 and 25 Silver Street and seems to be the one shown in all the images of KH Fire Station. As already given by Bernie I do have a reference to the stations on my web site at https://www.bhamb14.co.uk/index_files/SILVERSTREET.htm
Interesting to see my details discussed on the website shown by Phil, the building shown in my photo is the same building as the one shown on there, I need to do some more research.

Colin

All I can say is according to the photo on the link I posted the supposed 1960's demolition must be incorrect according to the cars that can bee seen on the photo. They look much later to me. Perhaps the station just closed in the 60's?

Dear all,

Thank you so much for your contributions so far.

I have had it confirmed separately that the Miniman was called Karspray at the time. Apparently the cafe was the other side of Karspray.

It definitely is separate from the Silver Grill. Thank you Elizabeth for having a faint memory of the cafe, it does help spur on the search!

The stuff on the fire station is fascinating too - you all make it come alive which is why I love this website!

I will keep looking for a picture...

Kate

Last edited:
There used to be a Café much further down (left hand side) on a corner - I used to go in there with Hobby Hobday (of 'Hobday's Records' and 'Drayton Radio') for a sandwich and tea before we started work of a morning.

I think the place on the corner used to be a Greengrocers in the 1950's up
Hi everyone,

A neighbour of mine's grandmother used to run a Jeans Cafe on Silver Street in Kings Heath, she was there as a little girl in the 50s/60s and would love to see a photograph of the place. Jean used to feed the men in the fire station across the road.

I have been told it was directly opposite the fire station - and am assuming it was to the left of the off-licence in the third photo

I have trawled the internet and this site and can only find these photos - if anyone can help me, I would be very grateful!

View attachment 78298View attachment 78297View attachment 78296

With thanks,

Kate
The off-licence sold sherry off the wood for 5p a pint , the house infront of the car I think was an Irish family Barny Harvey and daughter Barbera Iremember going there as kid in the 60's. International Stock is built on the MEB works, then there was the fire station and the Corporation works, opposite were terrace houses with long front gardens , now a car park.

Looking at the photos the off-licence sold sherry off the wood for 5p a pint , the house infront of the car I think was an Irish family Barny Harvey and daughter Barbera I remember going there as kid in the 60's. International Stock is built on the MEB works, then there was the fire station and the Corporation works, opposite were terrace houses with long front gardens , now a car park

Before I get dragged too far down Drayton Rd !
In the mid-50s, as well as the hallowed Tommy Godwin's bike shop, I recall there was also a neon - lit fish & chip shop, with steamed-up windows, in the same area. Did I dream it ?

Before I get dragged too far down Drayton Rd !
In the mid-50s, as well as the hallowed Tommy Godwin's bike shop, I recall there was also a neon - lit fish & chip shop, with steamed-up windows, in the same area. Did I dream it ?
No , it was next to Godwin's some of my mates worked there and peeled spuds in the machine after school.

Back