• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jarrett - Robinson Wedding 1915 Birmingham

CelJar

Brummie babby
I have a wonderful photograph of my Grandmother and Grandfathers wedding in Birmingham 1915. I can identify some of the Jarrett - Robinson family but there are still many that i have no idea who they are and am wondering if anyone out there in the Jarrett - Robinson family would know.

So the people in the photo I do know are off course my Grandmother Florence Gertrude Robinson and my Grandfather George Henry Jarrett. Next to Florence is my Great grandmother Elizabeth and behind her is Joseph Robinson. The lady seated on the right is my Great Grandmother Ann Jarrett (nee Gold) she looks like she has something wrong with her arms or her arms are fake. We are not sure. The older gentleman on the far left I think is Thomas Robinson (Florence's eldest brother) and his wife Ada with their son popping his head out - Thomas Joseph Robinson born 1906. Can anyone please help in identifying any of the others in the photo?jarrett robinson.jpg

Celeste Frandsen nee Jarrett

what a lovely photo...i do hope someone maybe able to identify some of the others on it..taking a close look at your gt gran ann i dont think her arms are fake but maybe she has arthritis of the hands and dont forget very old photos can be deceiving..do you know where the photo was taken..most likely where the bride lived..nice cobbles and looks like a factory to the right.. their marriage cert which gives the address of 186 camp hill for george and i think it says 6 stafford street for florence..stafford st is in the area of bishop ryder which is the church they married at

lyn

Last edited:
I really hope someone can help too. All my dad knew was that it was the wedding photo of his Mum and Dad and that's all he knew. I myself have deducted the others in the photo by age, tradition and facial similarities. I think you are right, I think she does have arthritis, perhaps osteo arthritis? I wish our family had documented the family health and put names to photo's. I feel so honored to have this photo. Thank you so much for your response Lyn.

I really hope someone can help too. All my dad knew was that it was the wedding photo of his Mum and Dad and that's all he knew. I myself have deducted the others in the photo by age, tradition and facial similarities. I think you are right, I think she does have arthritis, perhaps osteo arthritis? I wish our family had documented the family health and put names to photo's. I feel so honored to have this photo. Thank you so much for your response Lyn.
happy to help and we should have photos on the forum of stafford st and camp hill just use the search box..sorry i cant post their marriage cert which they both signed themselves its saying file is too big and as this is a new lappy i am not set up yet to reduce the size but it is on ancestry but you probably have it anyway

lyn

just managed to post marr cert which give address of where they lived at the time of marr..click on it and then hit the magnifying glass at the top right..see post 5 and also post 2 as ive edited it and you may have missed my extra info giving the addresses...the 1939 eve of war register shows florence and george at 39 avebury with 4 children..again this info is on ancestry..the house is still there

lyn

Last edited:
My Grandfather died in 1976 at his home. My Grandmother Florence died in 1942 when my dad was 10 and my Grandfather remarried. Ok so through methods of deduction I ****think**** the people in the front are perhaps the witnesses Valentine and Elizabeth Lowe. I will research this further, hopefully I can find something to support this. I know there is family out there in Birmingham that will know I just have to find them :D Thank you so much for posting the wedding certificate I thought I had it but I don't so thank you.

My Grandfather died in 1976 at his home. My Grandmother Florence died in 1942 when my dad was 10 and my Grandfather remarried. Ok so through methods of deduction I ****think**** the people in the front are perhaps the witnesses Valentine and Elizabeth Lowe. I will research this further, hopefully I can find something to support this. I know there is family out there in Birmingham that will know I just have to find them :D Thank you so much for posting the wedding certificate I thought I had it but I don't so thank you.
i have a couple of family wedding photos taken in 1914 i know they are taken in the back garden of cook st nechells as it says so on the back .this was the address given for the bride on the marr cert...the only people i can put a name to are the bride and groom but there is one other that i may know as he is the double of my brother but its just a guess and in family history that is really not good enough..alas all the rest will remain a mystery but i think most of us have this same problem but i think it most likely that your photo was taken in stafford st but again we cant be certain at the min...dont give up

lyn

Last edited:
I've got a lot of photos where I have no idea who the people are. I did ask my Dad and he named a few people but he had no idea either about most of them. So sad.

Great photo, not unusual but shame that there are no names.

It's always tricky to judge ages on old photos, everyone looks older, but even so the man on the far left looks much older than Florence. Could he be Florence's father?

And it does appear (if I have the right family) that Florence's mother was dead by then, Joseph is listed as a widower in 1911 (on Stafford St).

Great photo, not unusual but shame that there are no names.

It's always tricky to judge ages on old photos, everyone looks older, but even so the man on the far left looks much older than Florence. Could he be Florence's father?

And it does appear (if I have the right family) that Florence's mother was dead by then, Joseph is listed as a widower in 1911 (on Stafford St).
hi mark yes i found the 1911 stafford st with joseph listed as widower

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
My observations. I was wondering if they're outside a pub or a hall. The arches to the right don't look like domestic premises to me. And for the wedding itself I think they probably paid out a tidy sum (for the time) - plenty of flowers, quality dresses and suits. Especially significant as it was during WW1.

Viv

My observations. I was wondering if they're outside a pub or a hall. The arches to the right don't look like domestic premises to me. And for the wedding itself I think they probably paid out a tidy sum (for the time) - plenty of flowers, quality dresses and suits. Especially significant as it was during WW1.

Viv
i agree viv...as i said earlier the building on the right tends to look like a factory building but cant be certain

lyn

the witnesses Valentine and Elizabeth Lowe. I will research this further, hopefully I can find something to support this.
Not sure where you found those names.
The witnesses are Joseph Robinson (presumably Florence's Father), Gertrude Stanton, David Jarrett and a very faint signature which looks lke Mary.
Very little room for the curate to sign.
1688997352365.png

Last edited:
David Jarrett is George's brother. Mary Robinson (?) is Florence's sister and she had a niece, Gertrude Stanton (d of her deceased sister), though she would have only been youngish.

Last edited:
Presumably some of the men in the photo were serving or about to serve in the forces, although I notice none are wearing uniforms for this occasion. Are there any military records for the men you've identified that can provide other leads ? Presumably the bridegroom was called up. Viv.

George Henry also had an uncle named David Jarrett. Some speculation...

George Henry had 2 brothers, David (who got married earlier in the year) and William. I'd say David is the chap on the right with the flower standing next to his wife. William between bride and groom. If his mother is sitting down the chap standing by her could be his father. On the 1911 census David the uncle is living with the family and the other chap standing on the right looks enough like the father to surmise this may be him.

That would be all the Jarretts from the 1911 census which may mean the rest are from the Robinson side.

The young woman next to the elder man (far left) could be Florence's sister Mary and the girl sitting on the woman's knee appears to be about the right age to be her niece, Gertrude Stanton. The 2 young lads (kneeling) could be nephews, Thomas as mentioned and Ernest Stanton. Florence's brother, Charles, had 3 daughters born between 1905 and 1911 so the other girl could be one of them (if not both).

Last edited:
Presumably some of the men in the photo were serving or about to serve in the forces, although I notice none are wearing uniforms for this occasion. Are there any military records for the men you've identified that can provide other leads ? Presumably the bridegroom was called up. Viv.

If they did (the 3 Jarret brothers), then they all survived.

You have all been so wonderful, thank you. I have always had an issue with Florences mother when I ordered the birth certificate it came up with as being married to John Robinson and I knew it was wrong. you have all been so kind, like true Brummies - thank you all so very much

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
It sounds as if you have the wrong birth certificate. It is easily done as there are probably several girls called Florence Robinson born around the same time. It always amazes me how often the same names crop up.
On the marriage cert it clearly says Florence's father is Joseph.

Back