• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

James Cooper VC - Warstone Lane Cemetery

Birkbeck

Good evening.

I'm currently helping with a piece of research which relates to the graves of people who were awarded medals for gallantry. Several of the graves on the list which is being assembled are in the Birmingham area.

The team concerned is interested in George Niven GC and George Ravenhill VC - George Niven's family has been traced, while George Ravenhill's hasn't.

The main focus at the moment, however, is on James Cooper VC, who is buried at Warstone Lane Cemetery.

I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me which area of Birmingham James Cooper was born in, please..

My understanding is that he was born in 1840.

Many thanks.

A lot of contradictory information about him. Just on one site his death is listed as 1889, 9 Oct 1882 and 9 Aug 1882. The second seems to match up with death register and burial.

Someone on familysearch has done some research which suggests he was b1840 the son of Edward Cooper & Lucy Woolfield, however a quick search reveals that that James Cooper was born 1836. Doesn't mean that it's not him though.

His service records seem to be on findmypast which I assume you've seen.

I found 2 James Coopers born in BIrmingham in 1840 but it is difficult to say which, if either, is correct. The plaque at Warstone says 1840 to 1889.

One of those is the son of William & Harriet (reg Aston) and it definitely isn't him, he's Northamptonshire in 1861.

Sugestion he died at 43 court, Farm Street which seems to be Hockley. Wonder if he moved far? Wonder if he was married?

It would be interesting to know who registered his death.

There is a James Cooper on the 1871 and 1881 census 'married' to Hannah. His birth is 1837 and 1839 but he doesn't seem to be on the 1861 or 1891 census. Kinda ties in with the son of Edward & Lucy above who was born in Sept 1836.

He is listed as Gun Filer and Publican though not a Jeweller which I've seen mentoned. In 1881 they were in Wrentham St.

There's doesn't appear to be a marriage between James and Hannah (Overson), she previously married John Gibbons. No children from either relationship.

Sugestion he died at 43 court, Farm Street which seems to be Hockley. Wonder if he moved far? Wonder if he was married?

I think so, he seems to be on the 1881 Census as married to Maria, with three children, Lucy, Ellen and James.

I think that the street address on the Census seems to be Hatchett Street, although it is quite difficult to read.

The fact that he was married with three children seems to be borne out by the following:

Familysearch & findmypast have transcribed his age as just 30, though mistakes are not uncommon.

If it is him at Hatchett St, his eldest daughter being called Lucy might point to him being the James, son of Edward & Lucy (above).

His marriage to Maria Hampton was registered Aston, Dec 1871. Last resort certificate should have his father's name.

Back