• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really a product that`s faded away but a person. Remember the man from the Pru, going house to house trying to collect the various insurances? My dear old Mom couldn`t pay this one time, so she whisperred to me "tell him i`m not in " so i opened the door & said, "Mom says she`s not in". He`d probably heard that many times i should imagine. I can`t imagine anyone going door to door collecting money these days, He/she would soon get mugged :-{

Remember the insurance agent very well. My mum continued all her life to pay an agent who came round to collect premiums.

Also remember the two very respectable men in suits, Bradford & Bingley. No longer with us. Viv.

We were poor, and the only form of credit or help my dear old mom could get, to help cloth 4 kids, was with the "Provident Cheques", I remember the man calling on Fridays for the weekly money. Paul

We were poor, and the only form of credit or help my dear old mom could get, to help cloth 4 kids, was with the "Provident Cheques", I remember the man calling on Fridays for the weekly money. Paul

same here paul...6 kids to bring up and up pops mr lewis the provvy man quite often...

lyn

Florins and half crowns - it you got one of these on your birthday, when you were a kid, you were rich.
A ten bob note - and you were a millionaire.

Last edited by a moderator:
What did you get in your Christmas stocking Stephen?
I had a pillowcase which got smaller as I got older and a stocking with sweets. I turned my nose up once at some satsumas and I got a right telling off as I was told some poor kids get nothing. I was taught to give my old toys away for the poor kids. I got second hand annuals like The Maverick The Magnificent 7, and Roy Rogers plus the Superheros and old Ruperts, as well as new ones.
I wone a 10 bob note for singing at the seaside I thought I was a millionaire too. And I wone a pound doing a local crossword. You had to spend the pund in the participating shops. A whole pound! I realised we were not that well off as some of my mates when my parents couldn;t afford to buy me a leather jacket, so we went halves. I wore it till it fell apart.

Yes Nico, oranges, loads of nuts - never ate the nuts or oranges. Loved the annuals though.
Rupert, Dandy, Beano, Beezer - good reading all through the year, many times over. Lucky to have a lots of aunts and uncles on both sides.
Good of you to give your older toys to the poorer families.

Pillow cases for the pressies yes ... and long socks for the other stuff ... you couldnt get to sleep for the excitement and next thing it was dawn and the pillow case was full. Good days.

Funny and interesting to say that to a new bride - why was that ?

My parents said that to me and I supposed it was because there were 7 of us living in a 3 bedroomed house. They wanted my tiny bedroom for my young sister so, basically, you've made your choice so get on with it, you're not coming back.

Yes Nico, oranges, loads of nuts - never ate the nuts or oranges. Loved the annuals though.
Rupert, Dandy, Beano, Beezer - good reading all through the year, many times over. Lucky to have a lots of aunts and uncles on both sides.
Good of you to give your older toys to the poorer families.

Pillow cases for the pressies yes ... and long socks for the other stuff ... you couldnt get to sleep for the excitement and next thing it was dawn and the pillow case was full. Good days.
I had a second hand scooter handed down from a cousin, I loved it, they're back in again, mine was red tubular metal with a green wooden seat. Nan's cousins worked at Cadburys I always got selection boxes from them, I called them auntie and uncle too, anyone mature. Nan recycled her Christmas paper then as we do now. I enjoyed making tags from old Christma cards. We always had nuts and I never ate those. I made 2 mice out of a walnut shell with my new carpentry set. I still have the pincers and screwdriver out of it. Mum and I made decorations from crepe paper.

remember that spangle in the white wrapper with blue questionmarks on it, in the midde of the ordinary ones? they then did one with all of the spangles wrapped in question mark paper. The tv ad was a woman in glasses and she eats a spangle whips off her specs and coat and writhes around in the park bench.

I'm glad rusty cars have gone - and still think the E-type was a thing of real beauty - what lines and what a body.

Drawing boards - you just can't beat a good drawing board .. so much better than computers today.

I'm glad rusty cars have gone - and still think the E-type was a thing of real beauty - what lines and what a body.
Many of our sports cars had new design features too ... so we were (and are) still .... great inventors.

Drawing boards - you just can't beat a good drawing board .. so much better than computers today.
More accurate. My mate was a draughtsman before he got redundant from Marconi ex GEC. They ecployed new people to electronically draw circuits and he was empployed to correct them as the designers couldn't get the electronic prototypes to work a the meaurements were all out.
The graphic designers had to use the Lap tops macs and PC's to design advertisements, but the old way of drawing, cut and paste etc was quicker!

Don't remember ever seeing one of these. Were they in general use? Maybe they never took off. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1387048745.521744.jpg

I have seen one somwhere, I remember a milkman with a white apron or something white and Cap with a white top. Do remember when Milkmen wore uniforms?
It looks a bit like an invalid car. I think I recall an icecream vendor too with something like this.

Why did they say the baby might be the milkman's? Why the milkman and not the dustman or the postman or the Betterware man or the breadman or the egg man I wonder?

Well, the milkman did probably come every day, whereas most of the others came intermittently

Why did they say the baby might be the milkman's? Why the milkman and not the dustman or the postman or the Betterware man or the breadman or the egg man I wonder?

many years ago l would have my milk delivered in 2 1/2 gallons twice a milk, did,nt have to wait around for him those days we left the doors unlocked so the milkman would come in the house put the milk in the icebox for me and any orther products l had ordered......well when l was expecting my last baby it was a surprise or an oops....my husband said it was the milkmans...well the milkman had red hair and my baby was born with red hair.....l had a lot of living that down.....Brenda

Horlicks was founded by James and William Horlick in Somerset. When on holiday in Weston Super Mare, I used to buy milk from the Horlicks milkman.

Nan left me a first aid box, including sticking plaster on a roll like a metal bobbin and the middle pushed out, Boric acid powder, green letters on a white box, nan called it borasic, I put some on a cut knee and I had to dowse it with water I went up in the air! Yellow Mazellicon ointment in a flat red and yellow tin, Bonjela, a tincture of arnica in a dark green hexagonal bottle with a cork, absorbent lint, withch hazel, gauze, an elastic bandage, TCP (tay say pay) cotton wool in a big wad, wadding, scisors wth roundy ends, oil of clove in a tiny bottle with an ancient match stick, senna pods, ex lax in a blue wrapper, cough medicine in a clear bottle with a black top hich was white and the bottom and brown at the top and it mixed when shaken, corn plasters, omeNan was very practical but she said you had to be in her day.

cough medicine in a clear bottle with a black top which was white and the bottom and brown at the top and it mixed when shaken,

That sounds like Gee's Linctus. You can still go to a pharmacy and buy that but you have to ask the pharmacist for it directly. It is a controlled medicine and they'll either have a bottle made up or make one up there and then. - It contains opium so they'll monitor how much you have or come back for.

There was kaolin and morphine for tummy upsets too..I think it's banned now. That used to separate into cream and brown colours.
It used to make me even more sick!
rosie.

There was kaolin and morphine for tummy upsets too..I think it's banned now. That used to separate into cream and brown colours.
It used to make me even more sick!
rosie.

Still available, but you may need to answer questions posed by the pharmacist, https://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?medicine=Kaolin and Morphine mixture
Largely replaced in treating Diarrhoea by the salt/sugar sachets like Dioralyte, that don't have any side effects and are actually more effective

Nan left me Calamine lotion too and a plastic bottle with some scented cologne in for bumps or just to calm kids down, a tiny bottle of Juniper Berry and some white gauze made in to a long thin bandage, plus lots of normal bandages and big sturdy safety/nappy pins. An eye bath, an eye dropper and a leather finger stall a bottle of glycerine with which she made her own cough medicine. She used to call me a cough drop if I had done something daft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back