• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember sitting in the pub and someone came round with 'A Card' which you chose a number and paid (not sure I can remember how much) and then when all the numbers had been bought, they tore a strip off and it revealed the lucky number and you won the money.

Does anyone remember sitting in the pub and someone came round with 'A Card' which you chose a number and paid (not sure I can remember how much) and then when all the numbers had been bought, they tore a strip off and it revealed the lucky number and you won the money.
Ahaa, I certainly remember the ones when the number was revealed and I didn't win
Putting that to one side, do pubs and clubs still run "The Tote" - Numbers 1-30. when I was working at Morris Commercial in the late 1960's I had my very first go on the tote and I won. Well pleased with myself, I had a go on the tote in my local social club (Bartley Green) and I won again at first attempt. 2 goes - 2 wins. Further encouraged I had a go on the tote in the Bale of Hay and unknown to me they got my 2nd number wrong and I won again. what are the odds of that happening. Mind you I've never won a tote since

Last edited:
I also remember cottage loaves. I expect they are not politically correct either now.
I like what the French call what we now call torpedos here, batards.
Mum always said cob, dad said batch. Londoners say rolls. Northerners day balm cerks. What do you say?

I remember some cards, they were very small stiff and grey, a bit like blotting paper and I think the Salvation Army sold them door to door. Mum bought them as she said it was a good cause. They were perforated and I liked the sound and feel of ripping them open . They also made a mess on the carpet. I think they had some sort of bingo or lotto or game inside for children.
We had cards at work and you bought a square and they peel the bottom off to reveal the winner.
I went to a beetle drive once to boost the school funds.
Remember when people shouted housey housey when they wone? I hated the WMC as it was a nictertine polluted affair which made my eyes sting. I liked the turns though and monitored grandad's bingo card. He only had one, as did nan. I liked the cackling women that nan said were common. They all had aaagh aaagh aaagh aaaagh aaaaaaaaaaagh! laughs. She said they were like old fishwives. Apologies to any fishwives reading this. I used to think, hmmm. I think Mrs Ensor is a nice woman, (the fishmongers wife). I also liked the bingo rhyming, legs eleven and the men would whistle and chink the glasses with their pens. Then Maggie's den number ten, get her out!, you put her in!, you women! I nevva bleep bleep put her in!. Better than TV.Was she worth it seven and six. Bet they can't say that now? Or two fat ladies. I liked it when the an from Newcastle called 'cos he said erty ert. Why doctors orders number nine though? Maybe Stitcher would know.

When I was a kid, sorry Sue, I thought chicken licken was daft and cock lock and turkey lucky. I though it insulted my intelligence. I liked Little Grey Rabbit by Alison Uttley I think, also Noddy, Sam Pig, Beatrix Potter, factual Ladybird Books as long as it was about animals or birds. Auntie gave me an old poetry book I wish I had kept More Beasts for Worse Children was a section but I forget the book title, by Hilaire Beloc. Very Cleaver. Matilda was in it. I think Chicken Licken was a book on its own.I had the Little Hen and The Fat Cat Pimpernel too. And Hucklebones (a horse) Tinga and Tucker, I had a badge and can still do the sign. Woomerang Bomerang! All the anunals Dandy Topper Beano etc and Rupert. Also Superheroes and Cowboys from Barry an older a lad up the street. And Teddy Bear.
I read books much advanced for my age. I loved Catherine Cookson's Joe and The Gladiator (a horse again) and it wad done on Jackanory. Puppy Summer also on Jackanory, by Judi Dench, she could make the telephone directory sound interesting. The Trail of The Sandhill Stag, Bambi and The Call of The Wild which became a film. Misty of Chinconteague. Am I getting any of you going.....? Sheepdog Flash, Lad, . Later on In the Long Dark, Beth, Frost Dancers, A Balck Fox Running all by Brian Carter and Witchwater country by Gary Kilworth. Oh and Wind in The Willows. Sorry for going on. Tara a bit
Nico

Don't remember those James but I remember a chocolate that you could buy at the cinema in a box like a flip top cigarette box. I think they were called 'Royal'. Viv.
The brain is stirring. Dig deep Nico dig deep. Was it a bright red box very elegant with gold letters or am I imagining it?
I loved Neapolitans but said they were not for children. Like lucky numbers. I was allowed one.

Driving down the M6 on Thursday I suddenly a flashback, (it's me age), to the days when everybody had to have a strip of soft, coloured plastic stuck across the top of their windscreen to act as a sun visor. Some versions of this visor came with a choice of names emblazoned upon them. Halford's must've made a fortune out of the craze !
We seem to manage OK without them nowadays.

Baz you are making me yearn for the Lakes now. We don't even have a Halfords now but I do live very close to a little motor accessories shop.
We had nodding animals. I collected them. Grandad had a soldier in a bearskin dangling at the back. We had a plastic skeleton! I used to do hand puppet shows for anyone who was driving behind us. I also recall the ashtrays that pulled out in different ways. I hated the smell inside the car though. The hooter ws in the middle of the wheel usually see through. I can never find our hooter I am thumping the wheel and nothing happens. Then sometimes it gives a feeble phaaarp!
Remember put a tiger in your tank? We had a tail. We collected for amber heavily dimpled tumblers in yellowy amber glass, they looked like a bad case of cellulite and when I had milk in them it looked vile.

Any one remember Churston Deckle writing paper?

I once wrote Derek Jacobi a fan letter (I wasn't veryold!), and he replied on green Churston Deckle. I used it myself for a time; it seemed very up-market!

Mum, she was the driver, had a Standard Tourer with a soft grey tartan roof and soft plastic windows. Remember those? Over the years she had a Ford Prefect, an Austin A40, a Standard 8. A mini estate. A Standard Tourer. Our neighbours had a Morris Oxford and they were Mrs and Mrs Oxford, I always found that funny. A Ford Shootingbreak or brake?
When Grandad worked at George Barbers a couple in the warehouse got married. They were broke like most we knew so grandad took them to the wedding in his car. They put ribbons and flowers on old 'Betty' and made a big horseshoe and put on the radiator grid out of a mens' toilet seat, covered in silver paper so it looked like a horse shoe. I thought it still looked like a toilet seat. Do you remember toilet seats for men? With the bit missing at the front.
Nico
Nico

Last edited by a moderator:
Any one remember Churston Deckle writing paper?

I once wrote Derek Jacobi a fan letter (I wasn't veryold!), and he replied on green Churston Deckle. I used it myself for a time; it seemed very up-market!
I liked him in I Claudius. What is Churston Deckle Maria? Is it writing paper? If it is we had Basildon Bond. Nan had a pale blue pad with small envelopes the pad had a ;ong red quill on it. Mum kept her writing paper in a Black Magic chocolate box, a big one, her boss gave her once. It had a red tassle on it that dangled.

I liked him in I Claudius. What is Churston Deckle Maria? Is it writing paper? If it is we had Basildon Bond. Nan had a pale blue pad with small envelopes the pad had a ;ong red quill on it. Mum kept her writing paper in a Black Magic chocolate box, a big one, her boss gave her once. It had a red tassle on it that dangled.

It was thick with deckled edges, and the envelopes were lined with tissue paper. It came in unusual colours - pale green, lilac, etc.
I also used Basildon Bond, and always got a box at Christmas.
Can you still buy Quink?

My mother used Basildon Bond, usually blue. It was treasured, writing paper was well looked after in a drawer and no-one was allowed to have any to draw on. I suppose it was expensive compared with what it costs today. Seems odd looking back, but it reminds me that we all take things too much for granted and perhaps we should all look to taking care of the small things as well as the large?

I remember that blue Basildon Bond writing paper. The advert for it always used to say 'It had to be told on Basildon Bond'. Do you remember that Shortie? I agree with you totally we should all take care of the small things as well as the large. Respect for everything I say.

It was thick with deckled edges, and the envelopes were lined with tissue paper. It came in unusual colours - pale green, lilac, etc.
I also used Basildon Bond, and always got a box at Christmas.
Can you still buy Quink?
I forgot about Quink. People still do caligriaphy, I have a cousin writes to me on very thick paper with a pen you dip in ink in caliagrahpy writing and he seals the envelope in wax. It's nice to get a letter and I still write. Nan taught me how to write letters so I would write to my auntie. She also taught me how to reckon up as she called it. I will have a look for Quink. I presume you can still get blotting paper. Mum gave me a massive sheet from a rep from work. It had a 70's style picture on it a montage of faces a bit flower power era if you know what I mean, like the Toblerone ads, with bell bottomed trousered people. I think it was called Gold Medal and I put it on my bedroom wall and all my mates admired it.

And that's just made me remember something. What was a ready reckoner? Nan had a special long pale blue tin with 6 compartments with slots for you to slip a card in to say what was in each section, rate rent gas electric house keeping etc, with a key and 6 slots for coins. I gave it away as the slots were too narrow for the modern coins. Plus she had a cash box which was square and black with a gold rim and a handle in the middle and a little wooden black one where she saved thruppeny bits for the capon at Christmas which she called her cock money. I had a post box with a key for my pocket money, it took florins but not 50p pieces so that went. I still have my china piggy bank though.

I think a ready reckoner was a table which did the sums for you. I am sure it was in book form, with a different table on each page. Something like a bus time-table to look at. The ones my husband used in the workplace were ones with percentages only he is telling me as I type this!

Selly Oak.jpeg An advert from 1963.
Mom & Dad used to have a wind-up gramaphone which was replaced with a dansette type of thing when we were a little older but I did not get to use a radiogram until I bought my own.

Dad had a slide rule and a book with bushels and pecks, and measures in it for unusual items. Like sand and grain and metal things. I have found that my mobile converts cms to old money. Very useful in a DIY shop. I can't do percentages square roots or sq metres. I have been using a typescale (a printers rule in ems) for measuring to cut beading. Grandad also left a big thick wooden ruler about a yard long. I find that useful too.At school we had what I think was called a yard stick. A round wooden measuring tool like a flat wooden wheel on a stick which clicked when it had completed a turn. We were supposed to measure the playground with it but I just ran with it a I liked the sound of the click. The teacher had a giant set square a half circle thing I forget the name of a giant protractor which she put chalk in the end but it never worked on the floppy blackboard and broke. Guess who got sent out for laughing, I still find it hard to surpress laughter.

When growing up there was always antimacassers on the settee and chairs. I think some people still use them.
Is that the same as a Casapoopoo Carolina, I saw it on the generation game once and they made a joke of it. Mum used to embrpider chair back covers tablecloths and tray cloths and dressing table sets. To put your dressing table set on!
They have throws now.
We had 2 patchwork quilts. One was hexagons and one triangles, Grandad's mum made the latter. Nan made podged and rag rugs. I saw one in the Black Country Museum when it 1st opened. Not been since. She also did tatting whatever that is and French knitting to make slippers.
Nico

I am told the French don't call French knitting French knitting, what do we call broderie anglaise then?
They also call runny custard creme anglaise. But crumble has now crept in to France and the word pudding. They have a job saying crumble too.

When growing up there was always antimacassers on the settee and chairs. I think some people still use them.

If you mention antimacasser nowadays the majority of people don't know what you mean!! The ones used on coach seats went by the same name and are still used by some coach firms often called headrest covers.....

Simon

We had them all over the place but didn't call the amtima .. antimacas .... well whatever, can't even pronounce the name! Anyway, we had various types. Some were linen with a crocheted lace edge. Some were embroidered as Caroline mentioned. The embroidered ones you had to stitch yourself. You bought the material already marked out so you could embroider the pattern youself usually roses, flowers, leaves etc. You'd buy the skeins of embroidery silk from various places but I remember Woolworths did them (and I think they sold the chair covers - which we called those amtimaca thingys) Woolies also did table cloths which you could embroider too. Viv.

My mother also had these, I embroidered quite a few for her years ago, and I still have about 3 tablecloths I did for myself. Macassar was a hair oil and used to leave marks on chairs so antimacassars came into being.

I still have several anti macassers and embroidered table cloths and runners .i still do the odd bit of embroidery and drawn thread work ....my mom used to make "peg rugs" as we called them out of old clothes we used to sit cutting the old clothes into strips 4 inches long ....everything was used nothing went to waste ......

Tatting was done with a little shuttle, and a tiny crochet hook to make the joins. The stitch looked very similar to the Scoubies which my Grandaughters made. They have faded away too!! (The Scoubies, not my Grandaughters!!)
I used to buy iron-on transfers in Needless Alley for embroidery on antimacassars. Dad used Brylcreem so we needed them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back