• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Lloyd, I certainly remember the Co-o bit it was their own brand of Lemonade I was referring to.

I can't remember the last time I saw an "Esso Blee Dooler".

Toffee apples used to be sold in our local shop. They had a great horrible stick, like a piece of firewood, jammed into them.
Positively lethal.

I loved the idea but hated the often sour apple under the toffee. I had a job biting it too. An old man sold toffee apples from his kitchen window in Caludon Rd (Cov). Wouldn't be allowed now. My granny sold toffee and pop and ginger beer. Dad said he remembers the corks popping in the night. My great gran kept pigs and sold the meat during the war. On the hush hush I think.

Not so much a product, but do you remember 'spivs'. They were always smartly dressed - there was one in Dad's Army.

We had a small zinc bath as well as the full sized one, it was oval with two handles. After the bathroom was added we dug a hole in the garden for a "pond" and put sticklebacks in it from the reservoir.
I have just seen one in an Antique shop priced £40!!!!
rosie.

I gave my retro telephone to Oxfam, don't regret that and the posh antique shop up the road is selling them from £60 and up.
We left a zinc bath when we moved when I was 14 and the mangle on the yard. We saw the same things in a rip off barn on the Hereford Road. Washboards carpet beaters toasting forks, you name it. All at ridiculous prices. Even dog kennels. My old neighbour had a a half moon dustbin, a collectors item now. My uncle has a root crusher I told him to hang on to it. we have a coke stove in the garage the mice live in it I think it was ceramic blue once. Hate to look inside it. Still have mum's bucket from when she was a baby, in enamel but the perforated lid is missing and the handle but the knobbly round handle supports make it look more than a bucker. Remember when you had a new baby, you had a bath a potty and a bucket.?:stung:

Last edited by a moderator:
Robinson's Barley Water was all I could swallow when I had tonsillitis as a child and I got SO sick of the taste I never touched it again ![/QUOTE]
I was the same after a Wimpy, never ate beef burgers for years, used to run past the café. if you could call it that, the waitresses threw the plates at you. Got chucked out as my mate put tomato sauce in the sugar. I never saw the point of that. Hate Barley Water too and Lucozade which is now hip. Hate Britvic & Nesquick too. Even Ribena tastes different. I used to have it as pink milk. I was told toast was good for tonsilitis, Baz. painful but effective? I did like Cresta, "It's Frothy Man" late 60's maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not strictly a product, but how many of today's drivers would know what I was on about if I said to them "pull the choke out". My grandson had'nt a clue when I asked him.

Terry

Not strictly a product, but how many of today's drivers would know what I was on about if I said to them "pull the choke out". My grandson had'nt a clue when I asked him.

Terry
I remember putting a clothes peg behind it to stop it going in to far until "She" had warmed up a bit. ( Why were cars always "She") ?

I remember putting a clothes peg behind it to stop it going in to far until "She" had warmed up a bit. ( Why were cars always "She") ?
My starter motor always stuck so I always took Nan's taffy 'ommer and had a house brick next to my pedals, but the brick on the accelerator and whacked the starter motor with the hammer. Ruined my dates. Had to put my old jacket over the engine on frosty nights and I would forget and drive to work with it in.

I found a gallon can of Nut Brown creosote in my old shed last year. God knows how old it was but it was still useable. I had had a new self-assembly shed delivered and I needed to shorten the doors by half inch. Once I'd done that, I used the creosote to seal the ends again.
Creosote was always better than the finishes we have now but it is highly carcinogenic that it's withdrawn from sale on H&S grounds Shame really as it was a great preservative.

Liquid parafin! Boric Acid powder burns like hell on raw skin. Liquorice root,Indian Brandee, mmmmm! glycerine honey and lemon yuk! and oil of juniper berry, feel sick already,.Bitter aloes.
I liked the sweet after to take the taste away.

No I didn't like the taste, Jayell and Paul but I liked the feel of it and it worked. I felt it was oiling the wheels and cogs,. I used to have Ellerman's? Embrication rubbed on me and Four Oils, and tincture of arnica in a green hexagonal maybe bottle with a cork. Oil of cloves in a tiny bottle applied with a piece of cotton wool on a matchstick. Milk of Magnesia, I have to still resort to that. I used to take sulphur tablets yuk, for teenage spots. Fishermans Friends, I know are still about.Victory V's and bigger lozengers I ate them like sweets as I did hacks and extra strong mints.

Many of these products had very plain labels, like they had just stepped out of a chemistry lab. Well I suppose they had really.. I remember brown and green bottles for these medications, some ribbed, some with corks or pippettes. Many had plain white labels with typed info on them. Many of the similar products today have had a makeover, with bright eyecatching packaging. I loved the smell of Ellermans Embrocation. Also had the orange juice and rosehip syrup from Warren Farm Health Clinic when I was little. Viv.

The Boracic powder came in a white box with simple light green small letters on. Those were the days before walk around shops, where you asked at the counter and the server knew their product.
Witch hazel was in a clear bottle with a white label and black type.
I liked a cough mixture you had to shake. Before it was shaken it stayed in 2 or 3 colours probably kaolin and morphine.
Venose or was it Enose? was vile and red cherry linctus 'made' me cough.
I asked my mum for a bottle of what Mary Poppins (Julie Andrews) gave the Banks children as it came out in three colours. I believed it was a real and she didn't break the spell.
I hated the orange juice you got at the cinema in a flimsy brittle boxy bottle with a thin blue straw. But I liked the ice cream with the wooden or plastic spoons. I think they are still about.

I vaguely remember something like 'e knows Venose.
And Alecasaltser un fizzes you fast.
How do you do it Stanley? Oh its Tankard that helps you excel after one I do anything well.
Let's ave another special Ethel
Gale's honey, honey have some honey with me.
CHipmunk Crisps, rattling good value for thruppence
See you've started me off again
Ciâo

The name of the malt we took as children was called Virol, and yes, Nico I also used to have to take sulphur tablets for the teenage spots I was told that they cleared the blood! Judy

I also used to eat those sulphur tablets, I think it was a fashion thing though, because I was one of those lucky blighters who didn't get the spots. I can still remember the taste of those tablets too...horrible.

Does anyone remember using a lotion called DDD, (not DDT), we we used to put onto a piece of cotton wool to remove blackheads and clean oily skin. The cotton wool used to be so dirty after the cleasing..could have been the Brum grime I suppose. It was a strong smelling yellow fluid, and I think it would have been a good paint remover, so heaven knows what it did to our skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back