• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any ladies remember 'Wate-On' - my sister in law used to take it because she was so thin in the 60s. I have always looked for 'Wate-off' but never found it. When I met my ex husband and he took me for a meal, I told him I was trying to diet - but he looked at me and said 'I am dying to try it'. Whoops!!

Saw Dust sprinkled on butchers shop floor, Would ask butcher for some of his Saw Dust to use for scenery on my model railway, Stick it down and paint green, make grass areas,,,,,That was tip from Blue Peter when they had there model railway

Saw an old chap on the bus today wearing goloshes, didn't realise you could still buy them...

Well I did not know what goloshes were,Thought just another name for wellies, Just looked them up and they still sold, I learned something new today.

Remember when they supplied binoculars in theatres attached to the seat in front? Not that I went to the theatre all that often.

Terry

Came across a shop selling 'izal' today, bought a tear to my eye, like it always used to...

You must have been posh Lol, "Izal" toilet paper !! we had to make do with the Birmingham Mail torn into squares, or the Sunday Mercury! regards Reg

Talking of Izal toilet paper.
Did anyone wrap some around a comb and play it like a mouth organ?
It used to make your lips tickle!

Yes Bill123, I did used to do that with any old tissue paper, it made my lips feel all itchy, and I wasn't keen on that. Until you mentioned it, I'd forgotten about it.

It was also very useful as a tracing paper subsitute.
We used to use it at school - not sure if it was Izal, it just had 'Birmingham Corporation' written on it!!

There used to be an ironmongers shop round the corner from us, in Highters Heath lane.

I remember, when I was very small, going in there with my mother.

I remember people taking accumulators in there but my main memory is this great, clanking, metal machine that dispensed paraffin.

The sound and smell of it has stayed with me.

No "Esso Blee Dooler" in those days !

My cousin lost his collar stiffeners and used matchsticks instead, his collar points turned pink!
I found some of Dad's collarstuds in the buttonbox the other day, they must have been fiddly to use.

What about separate collars that were starched so stiff they were like plastic. They didn't half make your neck sore.

Reg

Blimey Roverman !

Detachable collars ! When the adopted Army No2 Dress in the early 60s, the shirts had that kind of collar. (I've still got the studs somewhere).

Needless to say, they were NOT popular !

Reville, remember it well. It was for young men of a certain age. I don't think "naive"was quite the word I'd use Ray !

Own up you men who took a sneak look at "Health & Efficiency" in the book shop when you were youths.

I'm told that was what used to happen!!! Reg

Before the introduction of shirts with collars attached, by the RAF, the issue was of separate collars. I liked them. I used to post my collars to a Chinese laundry in Swindon who made a great job of washing and starching. Now these highly starched collars would, providing the weather was not too hot, would serve for quite a few days with just a daily change of the shirt. Attached collars of course only last for one day as the shirt needed washing. Collar studs were always, it seems, something many guys lost.

During the late 1960's/very early 70's, you could buy paper/card collars which looked very much like proper cotton. I made my husband a couple of shirts with just a collar band so he could wear them. He liked the fact that he could wear a coloured shirt and a white collar. I cannot remember how much they cost, but they were fairly inexpensive. Seems very bizarre now, I have to say.

Dad had some of those...they disintegrated in hot weather!! They started off looking very smart and then shredded into "pills" of paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back