• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cremola like semolina but with a lovely vanilla taste if i remember right, you can get the recipe on the net, YUM!!!!!!!!! yet another product gone at the decision of its makers, it was 11 halfpenny i loved it, mom used to feed me with it when i was ill.

Anothe old favourite, toast on the end of a fork.stick whatever held over an open flame with butter no not rubbish butter!!!! YEAH!!!!!!

Last edited:
Hello Lyn, I remember using soot to clean my teeth too. They used to say it whitened them, and as it was slightly abrasive I suppose it did.

Before washing up liquid. We had a contraption like a little metal cage that opened to put small pieces of left over soap in. This was then swished into the hot water to do the washing up. As Brum had lovely soft water it used to make a lot of lather to do the job.

You were 'posh' Big Gee, if you had a fold down bath. I used to have to sit in the Belfast sink, which was situated at the top of the cellar step's in the old back to back house.

Yes Lady Leaver, it was what they called 'The Welfare' where we took babies to get their cod liver oil and orange juice. The orange juice was delicious. We used to mix it with the cod liver oil to make the baby accept taking it, but I can still remember my baby boy pulling the most awful agonised face on getting that into his mouth.

talking about soap when i was a teenager i always loved astral soap but i searched for it and but think its no longer available...

lyn

Was 'Lyril' the stripey one?
Thinking of the pickled onions reminded me of when the dog walked past while I was in the tin bath in the kitchen, he dropped his bone in! (That tin bath was so rough and spidery.)

Thinking about Lyril Rosie, Can't remember if it did have stripes or not, it was definitely blue coloured. The advertisement for it used to say 'Get that lovely, lively Lyril feeling'. Did your dog want the bone after it had been in the bath?

Had a look at the food section on that link, a great nostalgia site. It's interesting how many products are still around - and recognisable today. One I couldn't find on there was PLJ (Pure Lemon Juice). I think people (well probably mostly women) drank it as an aid to slimming. The closest I could find on that link is Roses Lime Juice. I remember PLJ being incredibly bitter. Well I suppose it would be being PURE lemon!:taste Viv.

maggs, l remember useing that little metal cage we put little bits of soap in.....we would just swish it around in the hot water let the dishes soak a while and the oil and stuff would just fall off the dishes.....mom always used fairy soap but any soap would have done the job in that Birmingham water, l have'nt travelled a lot but have yet to come across water as soft as we had it......Brenda

The soap I'm thinking of was a sort pink-and-carbolic colour, so it wasn't Lyril!
Dad preferred Coal Tar soap, I think that's still around.
Mum had some strange hair lotion which was like green egg-white, and set solid, it had a name like Lytia? (Followed by Amami which was nicer.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Rosie, was the soap you mention Lifebuoy? as that fits your description, we always had it in the house when I was growing up. When I got married I changed to Lux.

It probably was Lifebouy, thank you! We had those great big bars of green washing soap like Fairy, and also White Windsor, as someone told Mum it would make my hair curly!!
rosie.

Yes, Lady Leaver it was Stergene for washing the woollens. I was getting all muddled...still nothing new there.

Brenda, it's nice to know that someone else had one of those little cage things for the soap. As you say Brum water is wonderful. When we go back for a day, as soon as we wash our hand's we can feel such a difference with our skin. We live in an area with the hardest water in the UK now, and I hate it.

I remember amami, useful when you put your waves in and then add your clips on the wave until it dried. What was the name of those clips which were about 3" long and had teeth in so it could hold the top part of the wave? (The style wasnt for me it was my moms).

I used to love the smell of PLIX. This was used for setting hair also. All the hairdresser's used it during the 50/60's. Does anyone remember it?

I remember amami, useful when you put your waves in and then add your clips on the wave until it dried. What was the name of those clips which were about 3" long and had teeth in so it could hold the top part of the wave? (The style wasnt for me it was my moms).

Oh yes remember the delicious smell of Amami. It was blue in, I think, a slightly triangular bottle. On the subject of hair, are Toni and Twink perms still around? I had one on my hair, absolute disaster :cry: Never attempted a perm on my hair since. Viv.

I recently bought Amami 'Caring Setting Lotion with shine'. My hairdresser recommended I use it for my very fine hair. It has a lovely delicate perfume and it is also a pale blue colour. I have an old Amami glass bottle which my husband found in the garden when he was digging and I keep it with my other odds and ends which I have on display around the home. The words ' Amami Wave Set' are in raised lettering on the glass bottle. I also remember Toni Home Perms. I had a Toni Perm many many years ago now and pleased to say it turned out fine.

Hi all
And what about :) and cadburys lucky numbers (chocolate) and sulphur tablets, for my teenage spots, also bread poultice you put on a boil, I also remember rainbow caylie (sherbet) i would look upon the shelf to see the caylie in rainbow form, and i was quite upset when i looked in my cone shaped paper bag to find the rainbow form had gone and it was all mixed up and did not look the same as in the jar on the shelf, tears, tears. It is strange when you look back and think of all the things you remember, some good, some not so good. All the best Stars

A few more things that may have gone. Soap -Cadam (for madam) and didnt Carole Carr do an advert for I think Camay? Also, is Vim or Ajax still about?

Last edited by a moderator:
That was awful stuff Carolina as you couldn't get it off the bath but the scum disappeared. There was vim as well. We were in Stourport last week. Take care. Jean.

Were you prepared "to risk it for a Swisskit"? Think they were cereal bars, but I don't recall ever having eaten one. So maybe it was a figment of my imagination ........ Viv.

I found something I cant remember seeing before in a first aid box that was my dad's, Tiger Balm in an hexagonal jar about an inch high, no directions on the jar but it looks like blackjack, anyone have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back