• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Viv, I think the word comes from the French "sac-elle", or literally small bag. I also wrote on the inside of mine.... These days I find old laptop cases almost as good as a satchel.

Big Gee

vlo.jpeg
There was at one time a "rub" called Mentholatum, or something very similar and when dad used it on his injured knee we could smell it in the house for days.

Do they still sell Dubin (i think thats how it's spelt) we used it on our footballs and boots to protect them.I don't think it's used for that any more.

Yes you can still buy dubbin,for your boots,they even sell it in tubes. However,there is a better product called G-Wax,available from Millets.

sobranne can still be brought in russia as i saw them when i was there a few years ago and they still do the multicoloured ones as well, you can get them in a lot of eastern europe,

Maria, I still have a bottle of Masumi, it came in a complete set with soap, talk and body lotion. It was bought for me by my boss in an office I worked in. I'd forgotten about Aqua Manda though.

I had a satchel but my parents couldn't afford a proper one, this had two loops like a back pack, when I ran my ruler fell out. Then I got a briegcase for my birthday and all the kids laughed at me. It was good for big folders though then I had a duffle bag for PE then an Adidas bag and then got trendy and had an army and navy rucksack from Riddy's army surplus in Cov, long gone, and we kids wrote all over it. Later on it was cool to carry a plastic bag instead.

I had a satchel but my parents couldn't afford a proper one, this had two loops like a back pack, when I ran my ruler fell out. Then I got a briegcase for my birthday and all the kids laughed at me. It was good for big folders though then I had a duffle bag for PE then an Adidas bag and then got trendy and had an army and navy rucksack from Riddy's army surplus in Cov, long gone, and we kids wrote all over it. Later on it was cool to carry a plastic bag instead.
I remember the Army & Navy stores rucksacks and embelishing them to your own taste.Difficult to write on that bubbly surface though.

Remember Fry's Five Fruits chocolate bar? A bit like the Fry's Mint Creme bars, but fruity centres and milk choc not dark choc. Viv.

Great Keegs - MilkTray in bars - how utterly sensible! Stitcher that shampoo rings absolutely no bells whatsoever! Maybe it was a bit more upmarket, we only had Vosene Medicated! Viv.

I remember Evan Williams shampoo, but I thought it was only from hairdressers - obviously not. Remember hair laquer in tubes that you cut the top off and emptied into a spray bottle? Dreadful stuff really, but it worked!

I've heard of Evan Williams shampoo but never used it.

Yes Shortie I remember the hair laquer in tubes that you squeezed into spray bottles. I used Rosedale. Made your hair stiff and you ended up with white flakes in your hair when you tried to brush it out. I remember having to rub in Borax when shampooing to get the stuff out.

Rosedale - yes, that was it! Did the tubes come in different colours or is my memory off today? I seem to remember cerise, lilac and yellow, but I might be romancing here. I never used Borax, but all mine came out - I remember other people using it, but I never needed to. I don't know what I did that made it different - perhaps I used less? Thank goodness for Elnett!

Very true, Viv, chemicals are clearly used today, but I think they are much more refined and not perhaps as bad as they used to use in products.

My husband thinks you might be right about the milk chocolate in Five Fruit bars - I think I always thought they tasted sourish, but perhaps that is because I am a mint freak. Do you remember Daisy chocloate? Made up by the Albion ground, it was five (four?) circles stuck together, rather like flat draughts, and I thought it tasted disgusting. My husband loved it!

Afraid I don't remember Daisy chocolate. Some of those types of chocolates could be a disappointment though. Being a fan of mint sweets Shortie you might remember a chocolate product that had brittle, flaky mint inside a chocolate coating. Just can't remember the name of it. Viv.

I've heard of Evan Williams shampoo but never used it.

Yes Shortie I remember the hair lacquer in tubes that you squeezed into spray bottles. I used Rosedale. Made your hair stiff and you ended up with white flakes in your hair when you tried to brush it out. I remember having to rub in Borax when shampooing to get the stuff out.

Borax still takes some beating for removing laquer residue...some of the old remedies still work well.

Something I've just noticed about many of the older adverts posted on this thread is they give a precise figure for the price of the product, such as those items from chemist shops. Competitive pricing doesn't seem to be a factor in selling the product i.e. you go into the shop expecting to pay x, and thats what you pay, x. If only life was still that simple. Viv.

Something I've just noticed about many of the older adverts posted on this thread is they give a precise figure for the price of the product, such as those items from chemist shops. Competitive pricing doesn't seem to be a factor in selling the product i.e. you go into the shop expecting to pay x, and thats what you pay, x. If only life was still that simple. Viv.

Up till 1964 we had resale price maintenance. So a tin of Beans or whatever, cost the same no matter where you bought it, or who sold it.

a19.jpeg
This is anorther item my mom used regularly, I can't remember if it was this polish but nice houses always had a pleasant smell when I was young. It is not the same now that the smell comes from a spray can.

Hello Bernie. I must say I do remember when the sherry glasses at my parents house were smaller than they are today, but I don't know if they were this small.

Same here Shortie. I think the mincer was THE thing to have but like you I only used it a few times and then it was shoved to the back of the cupboard.

When we married 1972 we bought a puppy Mom gave me her old mincer to mince the puppies ox cheek and chicken gizzards i used to buy. I treated my puppy like a baby and must have thought it was going to choke (such a worrier). I ruined the work surface screwing the mincer to it, then hated taking it apart to wash it. Would have been easier to buy a tin of dog food. lol

I had a Kenwood Chef in 1974 as a present on my 21st birthday with a mincer attachment which I still use now!

Wendy isnt it funny that women accepted houshold things for their birthdays or Xmas presents. Can you imagine some husbands having a Kenwood mixer given to them for their birthdays. Before any of our male members (whoops) reply I know there are exceptions to the rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back