• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes, Beechams powders were always in our house too. The powder came in carefully folded packets, no sticking or stapling, just folded. Minimal packaging- remember that?!! Viv.

This advert is from 1947

Attachments

• xc.jpeg
    xc.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 19
  • xc.jpeg
    xc.jpeg
    307.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
The prices for the 1947 ad seem extortionate to me Stitcher, given that an average working man's wage was around £2.17.6 per week.
paul

You can still buy Kiwi, Stitcher. I always preferred Cherry Blossom, but that is not availale any more, at least not where I live.

I saw Jubbly's on sale today,but not the old triangular things that I remember.Sort of tube shaped things in a pack ! Probably don't taste the same either.

In Christopher Fowler's childhood memoir 'Paperboy' he mentions a scent called Aqua Manda. I never used it, but was certainly aware of it. It's no longer made - it was made by Goya, which no longer exists - and bottles of it are now selling on eBay for up to £80 !!

I did have a bottle of a quite pleasant scent called Masumi by Coty, also no longer made, I think.

Modern Jubblies aren't the same! Only about half the size and not much taste. I remember getting frozen hands before eating the bit of white ice after I'd sucked all the liquid out!

I did love Aqua Manda, it was very fresh and citrus-like. My friend preferred Masumi.

Do you remember the small bean bags we had at school, you could use them for catching or positioning for rounders or goalposts etc. With the Hockley Bus Depot at the bottom of our street, we used to go down sometimes on an evening as the buses were actually parked on the street. We used to swing on the poles on the platform, collect old tickets to play with and play hide and seek and thats where we would find the old bean bag or two. We would play for some time but if ever someone saw a driver or conductor we used run 'hell for leather' (stitcher where does that one come from) back up the street, sometimes if we were lucky enough still with our beanbag.

Oh yes Carolina remember them very well. We had them at school in either blue, green, yellow or red. We had enormous hoops on poles (well they seemed enormous in junior school) and you had to throw the bags through the hoops. All seems very simple now, but I suppose it developed hand eye co-ordination. I was always mesmerised by the contents too. (Was it really dried beans inside?) If you rolled the bag from hand to hand it made a very satisfying sound. Ah simple pleasures! Viv.

Talking of schools, not many kids use satchels these days. They tend to have rucksacks. Although better for posture than satchels, you couldn't beat the smell of a new leather satchel. I used to polish mine - well at first - then it becme very battered and neglected, including the mountain of homework inside it! Viv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back