• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Astonian,
Your mention of shirts - I was only thinking yesterday that when I bought shirts in the past, I used to get a good supply of pins, but sometimes only found that last pin when I was wear the shirt !
Also I'm sure when I put an Esso tiger in my tank my car went faster.
olmohawk..:)

Talking about shirts, does anyone remember shirts with little stiffeners that were inserted into the collar to stop them curling up ?
regards, Reg

I was looking at Penguin biscuits the other day, and they have shrunk beyond belief, yes I bet the choc is sprayed on too.

What about blue bags?
I remember my mom using blue bags - and in our road every household always seemed to do the washing on Mondays - I can remember everyones washing flapping in the wind on good drying days..I don't know whether 'Monday Washday' only happened in our road, but it did allow some sly looks to see who had the whitest wash...:)

They used to give away plastic roses with Daz.

There were minty chocolate biscuits called "Yo-Yo".

"Club " biscuits had loads of chocolate on. I think the jingle was "If you llike a lot of choclate on your biscuit join our club"?

rosie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Allbright Ale was widely sold in Swansea, up untill a few years ago, being a poor student at the time it was very popular. 99p per pint in 2001

What about a whip and top I used to spend hours chalking on mine to make patterns as it spun

Snuff; I Found a tin of snuff on the bus yesterday .I didn,t think people still took it. But it reminded me of The Duke of Cambridge when my Hubby and i used to go in there .There used to be 3 Ladies always sat in the same seats, all named Floss, all wore a pale blue mac with snuff stains down the front. I seem to recall them getting their little tins out and putting a pinch on the back of the hand .View attachment 70518Excuse the hopeless picture i took it off my old fashined mobile.
pencil.png

I never collected plastic roses, but I do remember having a yellow plastic bowl, with spout on one side. I think it was given away with Persil although it might have been another powder. This was around 1969 and I still have it. It is slightly cracked, but is still in regular use although it looks slightly disgusting these days. It's one of those small things that I have never found a proper replacement for because it is so very useful. The plastic is very pliable, even today. I really must throw it out, but need a replacement first!

We used to make paper flowers out of coloured tissues.

Re: peashooters, I am amazed they are still selling - can you imagine if you hit someone now with them the case that would be brought against you from the adverts on tele ' have you had an accident blah blah blah. H&S would have a field day.

Tried to buy a childs bow and arrow set today, the one with a rubber suction on the arrow and was told no can do as elf and safety says to dangerous

A product that had a very short life; chocolate in a box similar to a cigarette box, only larger. I remember going to see Elvis Presley in G.I. blues in 1960 and my mum bought me the chocolate at the cinema (probably the Gaumont). There were several pieces of chocolate inside the box wrapped in silver foil. The chocolate was deliciously creamy. I kept the box for a long time afterwards. Think it may have been called Royal chocolate, but not too sure about that. Don't think the product was on th market for very long. Viv.

A product that had a very short life; chocolate in a box similar to a cigarette box, only larger. I remember going to see Elvis Presley in G.I. blues in 1960 and my mum bought me the chocolate at the cinema (probably the Gaumont). There were several pieces of chocolate inside the box wrapped in silver foil. The chocolate was deliciously creamy. I kept the box for a long time afterwards. Think it may have been called Royal chocolate, but not too sure about that. Don't think the product was on th market for very long. Viv.

I have a feeling I vaguely remember something like that. Royal sounds right.

I have just read a book recently and they quote in it about binding the baby up after its born, so you can only see their face. How restrictive would that have been for a baby with their arms and legs bound all up.

Also, can you still buy stamps from a stamp machine in the street?

Carolina, they were still binding babies in hospital in the 1960's. I thought of two items we don't see anymore, Bronco toilet rolls, and Zal disinfectant. Zal used to have their own jungle on TV too.

My mom used to do the washing in a galvanised tub with a gas ring underneath. In the winter, she used to put it in the back yard, with the gas pipe through the kitchen window. She didn't want the house steamed up, I suppose.

Another galvanised tub - the bosh I think my mom called it - was used with a dolly to work the washing. The dolly looked like a 3 legged stool, with a handle.

Interesting that Bosh is the Welsh word commonly used for wash house, I presume it was taken as a word by the influx of Welsh workers during the Industrial Revolution.

Maggs if I remember correctly they used to keep the babies in, well almost like a nightdress for some time and then put them into 'normal' baby clothes when they were a little older. I remember in the 60s at Xmas time when my daughter would have been 4months old I bought her a maroon top with white lacy tights, my mom nearly had heart failure when she saw it.

Carolina, they still what they call 'swaddle' babies today,which is the same thing as binding.

I did this to my son 49 years ago and he was really relaxed and went off to sleep a lot quicker.

I am at this moment looking at a photo on my study wall of my granddaughter Daisy age 4 hours, born 22 months ago
She was born in Burton hospital and is swaddled only her face showing.Of course this isn't done all the time, babies need their limbs free, but very young babies do sleep much better this way.

Hello Carolina, I think the swaddling of the baby was also to make them feel secure, but I couldn't wait to untangle my baby, as it seemed so tight and restriciting. However, of course, the midwife soon wrapped him up again. Your granddaughter Daisy was swaddled even in this day and age then? My babies had those long gowns too, which tied at the back. Interestingly I also dressed my little girl much the same as you did at 5 months old, in the lacy tights and a navy 'Angel top' as they were called in the 60's. Do you remember the lacy frilled rubber panties to put over the nappy?

Hi Maggs yes I do remember the little frilly rubber pants. What I loved when she was a little older was black patent shoes.

Maggs, I loved those frilly rubber pants,bought some as soon as my second baby was expected.Needless to say my second baby another son never wore them.LOL.
Terry nappies haven't faded away but the price of them is astronomical and with the advent of Pampers etc. very impractical.
I still have nappy pins belonging to my sons that date back 48 years,use them to hold knitting stitches.
40 odd years ago most of my washing line was taken up by nappies.

Last edited:
Alberta & Carolina, What a shame Alberta that you never got the chance to have the frilly rubber pants, having got a boy. There must have been a knack in keeping those things soft, because no matter how carefully I washed them, they inevitably went hard and scratchy. Like you Alberta, I also have the nappy pin that was put into my son's nappy at St Chads hospital, where he was born.l I don't think I could afford the little patent shoes Carolina, but I know the one's you mean. We have some lovely memories don't we? Someone bought my son a cashmere shawl with a deep fringe. It's the most beautiful thing, and I still have that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back