• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ison Family

Garry Stretton

master brummie
My 2nd great grandfather, Walter George Ison according to his paper birth certificate was born 7 May 1854 in Tay's Building Dudley Road, Birmingham. I tried to locate the building without success. His parents gave their premises as the same address so it is likely their residence and not a birthing place. Can anyone direct me to some historical records of the makeup of Dudley Street, if it exists? Thanks.

My 2nd great grandfather, Walter George Ison according to his paper birth certificate was born 7 May 1854 in Tay's Building Dudley Road, Birmingham. I tried to locate the building without success. His parents gave their premises as the same address so it is likely their residence and not a birthing place. Can anyone direct me to some historical records of the makeup of Dudley Street, if it exists? Thanks.
hi garry is it dudley st or road as you have put both ? was his fathers name amos ?

Last edited:
Yes definitely Amos. Tried to upload the certificate but my scan is too big.
thats ok gary i can see the marriage cert on ancestry...i have asked one of our map experts to look at your request in locating tays building dudley road but looking at the date of 1854 it could prove difficult but fingers crossed...i will see if i can find the family on the 1861 census as it may help us find tays building..assuming that they were still in birmingham

lyn

Last edited:
Thankyou. That is very kind. This is a very skilled group. Wish I had more ancestors in Birmingham. I am in Brisbane where Walter immigrated. He developed a very successful coach building business in West End Brisbane. He was quoted in Jubilee History of Queensland 1909 that the notion that horses were doomed was overstated. The sale of horses and coachbuilding goes on. He and his sons went out of business not making any significant transition as cars and trucks took over.

hi garry so pleased that walter made good especially back in those days when it would have proved difficult to make a new life abroad..do you know what year amos was born and if so was it birmingham? just going back to your first post it is likely that walter was actually born at tays buildings...most births back then were home births..do you think you can re size his birth cert and post here for us to look at..

lyn

Last edited:
Earliest map is 1890 and there doesn't appear to be anything like it listed, building names did change though.

Nothing for Tay's Buildings seems to come up in 1851 or 1861 (which you probably already know) and as Amos and family are in Kidderminster, so not at the same address can't locate it that way.

Only way I can think of is to find other births that took place at Tay's Buildings and hope the families are on Dudley Road in 1851 or 1861 but that seems impossible without a lot of luck.

Job Tay is listed as a post master in 1861 and there is a post office on Dudley Road (1891) between Icknield Port Road and Barford Road but no idea if that's relevant.

Might just be a coincidence but there is a Job Tay living on Dudley Road in 1851 & 1861.
If indeed there is a connection, on the 1851 census the record for Job Tay falls between Grove Cottage and Springhill House(s), unfortunately these don't appear to be on a map either.

Scrolling up and down the street on the two censuses, Job Tay's residence appears looks to be in a similar location in both 1851 and 1861, is given as No 7 in 1861. As the numbers increase, we get the Cape Lane, then Winson Street, then Spring Hill, which gives the impression of the census taker heading east, I think. As the numbers decrease, we get to a cluster of addresses named <surname>'s Building's, for various surnames, though I don't see a "Tay's Buildings" among them.

Job Tay's address and the various "Buildings" addresses look to me like they are at the west end of Dudley Road, perhaps near where the McDonald's is now.

The description for these census sections notes that they only cover the north side of Dudley Road, so there may be other records to explore covering the south side.

i did think that because of the date it would be hard to actually pinpoint where tays buildings were...i wonder if there is anything in the newspapers about them..

lyn

Though it may all be a red herring, Job Tay was on Oldbury Road in 1841 which I suspect became Dudley Road by 1851. He is listed close to some properties listed as Groves Building, Oldbury Road.

Also on Oldbury Road are properties listed as Heath Green and Heath Cottage (after Groves Building). There is a Heath Green and a Heath Green Cottage on Dudley Road on the 1890 map.

The multi-occupancy "buildings" addresses at that end of Dudley Road are, if I've read the handwriting correctly:
  • Sandall's Buildings and Faraday's Buildings in 1851
  • Fordries Building (s) in 1861
I guess Faraday/ Fordrie could be different transcriptions of the same name

As with the others I have also been unsuccessful. Directories are nom help ad nothing in newspapers, I did toy with idea that Ison might be mistranscribed in papers etc by Izon, but did not find much, though there are a number of Izozn in the Parade./Summer hill area, including a Sarah, but she is married to a Henry George

As with the others I have also been unsuccessful. Directories are nom help ad nothing in newspapers, I did toy with idea that Ison might be mistranscribed in papers etc by Izon, but did not find much, though there are a number of Izozn in the Parade./Summer hill area, including a Sarah, but she is married to a Henry George
thanks everyone for trying to locate a definitive location for tays buildings...the early date would not have helped so this one may have to remain a mystery unless something turns up

lyn

There also appears to have been a lot of building work on Dudley Road between 1861 and 1881, possibly from 30 households to 177. There are at least three families listed on both.

Job Tay's son, John Edward, married in 1860. Record appears to be on Ancestry, it would be nice if his address was Tay's Buildings.

Back