• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Institution, Smethwick 1921 census.

arley

knowlegable brummie
Hello all,

Searching for a relative on the 1921 census, I found someone who it may be. However, having paid my fee, it shows me one page of unrelated names. At the top of the page it says ‘Institution’, area Smethwick. Could anyone guess what this institution could have been? There were male and female names, all single and all in their 20’s - 40’s. Unlike a domestic census, the arrow didn’t take me to an address. Any ideas?

Hard to guess without seeing it? Was there a relationship listed - inmate, patient, etc?

I know the Smethwick parish seems to cover a number of areas that you wouldn't consider being so on the 1921 census.

What was the name of the person?

All of the names were listed as inmates. The person I am researching is Elizabeth/Lizzie/Eliza Clarke, born 1886 Birmingham. The family lived in the Ladywood area for most of their lives.

By trial and error by entering letters in the address box the address appears to be listed as Monghurst Colony Kings Heath Birmingham, which I'd guess is a bit of a transcription error and should be Monyhull Colony.

I'm assuming I'm looking at the same lady as you but it is a common name, so if you let me know another name (uncommon) on the same list I'll check that as well.

By trial and error by entering letters in the address box the address appears to be listed as Monghurst Colony Kings Heath Birmingham, which I'd guess is a bit of a transcription error and should be Monyhull Colony.

I'm assuming I'm looking at the same lady as you but it is a common name, so if you let me know another name (uncommon) on the same list I'll check that as well.
Thank you for your help.
The person I am interested in is number 51 on the page, as you say it’s a common name and there are two on the same page. Number 54 on the list is William Ife, that is the most unusual name I can find. Your help to identify the Monyhull Colony is important. On the 1911 census, Lizzie was a boarder making cane chairs at the Birmingham Institution for the blind. This Monyhull community may have been a good place for her to live and work.

Back