• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

IN OUR GARDEN 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robin gave me a present of a worm yesterday, I was touched. Does he think I am a big robin?
We thought they might be nesting in the ivy by the window as twice before or they could be after spiders in it and in the jasmine and under the window frames as lots of the birds are, does that mean there are chicks. The bird box is tilted to the left which usually means it is occupied. The cats are showing a lot of interest here, we are extra vigilante. This one stares me out, till I go out. The fox is still calling at night too. I put an extra feeder, a birthday present in the front garden now and a saucer of water. Something keeps flipping it over so I have put a pottery one instead. Hoping the frost won't crack it. If I don't put a thumb on some posters' pictures it is because I can't see them, but I am able to see some now. Bizzare! It ay cuz I dow like ya.

The weather is finally warming and sunny! Last week the high was in the low 30’s f with nights do we to 20/22 f. January was pretty much the same, the normal for January is 50f.
Looks like we and a lot of neighbors have lost SO many trees and shrubs. Yesterday it was 72f and today it’s 84f with lots of sun, crazy! Lots of wild daffodils are in almost full l bloom!
Spoke too soon! Yesterday was 48f windy and rain, felt like 42. The plants are trying but are getting stunted by the very cold air.

Off topic posts have been removed and thread now open , to keep the thread enjoyable for those interested in gardening all off topic posts will be deleted.

i have not got green fingers like most on here,mine are usualy black and oily:grinning:. but i have me mind set on getting some small fruit bushes for along the fence. i live by the sea so the air and soil is salty.
any ideas welcome please
:grinning:
We had a place right next to the sea and planted sea grass which grows very well in a salty/sandy environment. It can grow to four or five feet and it is very bushy and comes in different color tones. In the winter you cut it back to about 6/8” high and in the spring it comes back very strong.

Pete, I bought two Blueberry bushes & two semi dwarf pear trees last year, don`t take up much room & hopefully will fruit this year. I also have two apple trees one full size & a good cropper, the other one is semi dwarf & a small cropper. Three cherry trees, two full size & trained along a fence. One semi dwarf cherry which is a great cropper. (they need netting before the birds nick them ! If the soil is really salty try growing them in tubs. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I'm surely not the only one chomping at the bit to get some serious gardening underway after a relatively mild winter. All my fence maintenance is done, baskets, chains and containers at the ready and fertiliser in place waiting to be spread.
These are the weeks of promise of good gardening times to come. Our main herbaceous border is showing signs of life and crocus and daffodils are proudly presenting themselves.
I've been very tempted to get the mower out but must discipline myself for a couple more weeks.
What a great outlet in such troubled times.

I'm surely not the only one chomping at the bit to get some serious gardening underway after a relatively mild winter. All my fence maintenance is done, baskets, chains and containers at the ready and fertiliser in place waiting to be spread.
These are the weeks of promise of good gardening times to come. Our main herbaceous border is showing signs of life and crocus and daffodils are proudly presenting themselves.
I've been very tempted to get the mower out but must discipline myself for a couple more weeks.
What a great outlet in such troubled times.
same here clive...we are tempted to cut the grass but will leave it for another 2 or 3 weeks...wont be long now until your garden is in full bloom..i have planted out some tubs and a wheelbarrow not done the hanging baskets yet... hope to see some photos from you:)

lyn

lyn

I'm a very keen gardener but I've never done fruit. That said there was a fruit tree of some sort from a supermarket planted in a pot last year!!!!!!! I wouldn't call that doing fruit though!!!!!!
That is a great start! Some of our better plants have been from a supermarket. About 5 years ago my wife bought two potted shrubs from the supermarket, looked like they were dead for 50 cents each. By the end of the summer, they were thriving and wonderful the next year. All it needs as we know is a little TLC.

I've been in the garden mostly tidying up as the winds here have played havoc with anything supported on fences.
I'm still on a mission to get on top of the box caterpillar infestation. I don't think I've eradicated it yet, but shall see in April. I've been reading about the use of volcanic rock dust. Has anyone tried this ? Viv

Richards remark about cheap plants from supermarkets reminds me of three strawberry plants we bought from a DIY store closing down, about 20 years ago. 50p each. We have taken the runners off each year and replanted, and now getting pounds off every year.
Watching a pair of Blackbirds this morning, on top of the weeds, having a good bath in the fish pond

please put some chomp out for the robins today:)
Winter-Robin-730x900.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back