• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hunt Ann and Thomas

Mr Zippy

master brummie
I am trying to find an 1871 census record for Ann (born 1838) and Thomas Hunt who had two children Selina (born about 1857) and Henry (about 1861). In 1861 they lived in Alcester Street, Birmingham, but the trail then runs cold. I know Selina married in 1876, when she was living at Jones Street, which I assume was in Birmingham, but I can find no record of it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Was he a tube maker at 141 Alcester St? If so he is listed in the 1862 Corporation directory. But this was probably surveyed in 1861, so no later than census. the 1867 directory does not list no 141, and does not list a Thomas Hunt , tubemaker

Thomas Hunt died. His wife Ann remarried Thomas JENKINS on 2nd April 1866 at St Thomas Church. 1871 Census they are living in Alcester Street. They have a son Walter JENKINS age 4 years. Selena HUNT age 13 year is listed as daughter in law and Henry HUNT age 10 year listed as Son in law. These relationship terms were different to those we use today, they would now be listed as Step Child.

OMG! That is amazing. All evidence points to Ann Hunt being my great great great grandfather Joseph Moseley's daughter. I was really struggling on tracing her and this information helps immensely. Do you know when Thomas died?

There are three deaths registered between 1861 and 1866 in the Aston or Birmingham district for persons called Thomas Hunt on freeBMD. Unfortunately none have an age listed for them. They were...

Dec qtr 1861, Bham
Dec qtr 1862, Bham
Jun qtr 1864, Aston

However it does seem that all 3 burials might be listed on Ancestry, so maybe someone will be able to given you more info.

Last edited:
Mr Zippy,
It appears that Ann born c1838 maiden name was WAGE.
Here is her first marriage to
Thomas HUNT age 21
Ann Selina WAGE age 19 years.
3 March 1856
St Peters, Dale End, Birmingham
Groom’s occ: Brass Plate Maker.
Residence: High St , Bordesley.
Grooms Father -Samuel HUNT
Brides Father –John WAGE: Occ Sawyer.
In presence of – Mary HUNT
And George ?? Walters ? Walker ?

Thomas died
And Ann remarried in her last known name of HUNT
22 April 1866- St Thomas, Birmingham.

Ann HUNT age 26 years ( Widow )
Didn’t use second name Selina this time
To
Thomas JENKINS– Full Age !! ( younger than Ann ? )
Occ: Polisher.
Brides Father – John WAGE: Occ: Sawyer.
Groom Father – Thomas JENKINS
In presence of – John THORTON and Emma THORTON,
do not assume that the Thornton’s are married.

Burial was at St. Bartholomew, Birmingham on Nov 9th 1862.

Entry reads, Thomas Hunt, Alcester Street, 27yrs.

Right. Bojalu, you have confirmed I am on the wrong track!

My Ann (nee Moseley) also born 1838 married a Thomas Hunt in 1856. I incorrectly assumed that the 1861 census record was my interest. Sadly, while the dates aligned, you have revealed that it is the wrong family. Hopefully census records for 1861 and beyond will identify the correct one. Thanks.

hi boja ; and mr zippy
could it not be possible this hunts could be relation to hunts the pawn brokers busines
best wishes astonian;;;

What do you know for certain about your Thomas and Ann Hunt?

Their marriage was registered Mar qtr of 1856 in Kings Norton district.

It seems I do not know much for certain! What I do know is that my Ann Moseley was born in 1838 to Joseph and Ann Moseley of Howe Street, Birmingham. She disappears from census records for her parents after 1851. I found a marriage record for Ann Moseley and Thomas Hunt for 1856 with the father as Joseph Moseley. Save a major coincidence this must be the correct Ann marriage. As this thread testifies I was horribly misled by an 1861 census for another Ann and Thomas Hunt. Now I need to pursue the correct lead. This forum, btw, is very helpful!

Mr Zippy,

So back to basics.

You mention Ann’s birth place Howe St
Do you have her Birth certificate ?

Do you have her marriage certificate?
From which branch are you researching her tree?
Are you descended from one of her children?
Or one of her of her siblings ?

I ask because most Genealogists do not start with a query taken from somewhere back in time. They start with a living person’s family tree, and prove each generation with documents because errors do occur and we cannot take the information given as fact, until proven.

Ann maiden name would have been helpful in your original post.

Have you ruled this family out ?

1861 Census.

Thomas HUNT age 30 yrs. Occ Blacksmith
Ann age 26yrs.
George age 4yrs.
William age 2 yrs.
Ann Maria age 1 year.

Living at – 4 Court, 3 Clavendon Street, Aston

1861 Census
Piece – 2180
Folio-17
Page -27

Last edited:
Here is another possible marriage
3[SUP]rd[/SUP] March 1856 at Parish Church Edgbaston
Thomas HUNT age Full. Bachelor. Occ: Smith
Ann MOSELY -Full age. Spinster
Grooms father – J. HUNT
Brides Father – J. MOSELY. Occ: Labourer.
Does not give fathers full names !

In presence of –
Joseph MOSLEY ( do not assume this is Ann’s father )
and Sarah ?

Take into account that there maybe other Ann Mosely’s with a father Joseph.

Yes, This is the marriage that is the focus of my attention. The only fly in the ointment is that Joseph was a brass founder, and is not usualLy described as a labourer. The problem with the family that appears in the 1861 census is that Ann is described as being born in Beoley, Worcs. Ann is the only child of Joseph Moseley whom I have not been able to track into the 20th century.

I am trying to find an 1871 census record for Ann (born 1838) and Thomas Hunt who had two children Selina (born about 1857) and Henry (about 1861). In 1861 they lived in Alcester Street, Birmingham, but the trail then runs cold. I know Selina married in 1876, when she was living at Jones Street, which I assume was in Birmingham, but I can find no record of it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Hi Mr Zippy ..... I believe Thomas Hunt & Ann Selina nee Wage/Hunt .....had two children Selina Ann Hunt b1857 & Henry Hunt b1861......as above & Henry Hunt was my Great Grandfather! .... I,ve only joined this site in the last couple of days & not sure how I can contact you privately? But if can would like to exchange some research notes! Look forward to hearing from you!

Hi Mr Zippy ..... I believe Thomas Hunt & Ann Selina nee Wage/Hunt .....had two children Selina Ann Hunt b1857 & Henry Hunt b1861......as above & Henry Hunt was my Great Grandfather! .... I,ve only joined this site in the last couple of days & not sure how I can contact you privately? But if can would like to exchange some research notes! Look forward to hearing from you!
I,ve just read through all the other posts in answer to your original question! ..... Realise we are not connected!

Thomas Hunt died. His wife Ann remarried Thomas JENKINS on 2nd April 1866 at St Thomas Church. 1871 Census they are living in Alcester Street. They have a son Walter JENKINS age 4 years. Selena HUNT age 13 year is listed as daughter in law and Henry HUNT age 10 year listed as Son in law. These relationship terms were different to those we use today, they would now be listed as Step Child.
Hi Bojalu! ..... My Great Grandfather was Henry Hunt b1861 as above! I,d like to thank you for working this family tree out for Mr Zippy as you,ve helped me to also! ....as I,ve now been able to fill gaps in for me too! ... In the 1901 census Henry Hunt is with Ellen Connor & my Grandmother Selina Hunt! B 1899 & 3 of her siblings! ...... I cannot find the 1881 & 1891 census,s for Henry a Hunt & whether he was married before he took up with Ellen.... They did not get married until 1927! Do you have any more info on Henry Hunt for the two missing census records! I,d really appreciate it if you have? Thanks & kind regards!

Update on above: have now found the two census records for Henry Hunt b1860 ... 1881 census Henry is going by the name Harry Hunt b1860 boarding in Derbyshire .....occupation Waggnor Ag lab living. with John Hunt 33yrs Gardener b Normanton Derbyshire! Anne Hunt 36yrs Laundress b Littleover Derbyshire.
1891 census using Harry Hunt age 26yrs? 4Court 2h Rylands Street Birmingham occupation Engineers Labourer, living with John Cash head 35yrs Cab driver b Tewksbury. Sarah Cash 37yrs b Sutton Warwickshire. & Louisa Cash age7yrs. .....

Sorry Solihull Chic, firstly for late reply and secondly because this Ann is not my relative. My Ann was born in 1838, did marry a Thomas Hunt in 1856, but had the maiden name Moseley and not Wage. For months I have been on the wrong track!

Sorry Solihull Chic, firstly for late reply and secondly because this Ann is not my relative. My Ann was born in 1838, did marry a Thomas Hunt in 1856, but had the maiden name Moseley and not Wage. For months I have been on the wrong track!

Thanks Mr Zippy, for getting back to me! I did realise, after reading the rest of this link! that your Ann was not my Ann Wage!
Know what it's like to be on the wrong track, were this family research goes....So pleased that your finally been able to get on right track now! :smug:

Back