• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

HS2 progress 2020 and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
The chap in that clip said 'Hitachi - Alstom' in a joint venture. See https://www.alstom.com/press-releases-news/2019/6/alstom-unveils-proposed-hs2-train-design
Strictly speaking there will be no engines, the trains will be multiple units with powered axles throughout the train.

A steel wheel on a steel rail can only produce a force at the rail head equivalent of a fifth of the wheel loading which severely limits acceleration and braking performance if the locomotive has to do all the work.

That is why trains evolved from having only locomotive brakes, to having brake vans, to continous braking on all vehicles and now, with electric motors, propulsion throughout the whole train.

Strictly speaking there will be no engines, the trains will be multiple units with powered axles throughout the train.

A steel wheel on a steel rail can only produce a force at the rail head equivalent of a fifth of the wheel loading which severely limits acceleration and braking performance if the locomotive has to do all the work.

That is why trains evolved from having only locomotive brakes, to having brake vans, to continous braking on all vehicles and now, with electric motors, propulsion throughout the whole train.
How is the power generated, electric, diesel, hydrogen?
Thanks

Pedro, I think green hydrogen is going to be a big part of out future. My employer, Cummins is a very large global engine manufacturer had installed hydrogen in Austrian National railways and working with France & Germany. As your article said it is very clean and in many cases can be backward compatible with diesels and the like!
Great article!

After HS2's first tunnel breakthrough by Tunnel Boring Machine 'Dorothy' at the south portal site in July this year, the front part of the TBM has been dismantled and transported back to the tunnel's north portal in a 24/7 intricate operation, managed by the plant and logistics team at HS2's contractor Balfour Beatty VINCI (BBV).
(for more detail on Dorothy click little arrow)

The site at Curzon Street continues to see development as the foundations for the new station are made. The task of digging and levelling continues with the top end of Banbury Street now obliterated and consigned to the land of memories like other lost Birmingham streets.

The scaffolding around the Hotel has been removed, but with funds exhausted what will now happen to this building and the Woodman opposite?

After HS2's first tunnel breakthrough by Tunnel Boring Machine 'Dorothy' at the south portal site in July this year, the front part of the TBM has been dismantled and transported back to the tunnel's north portal in a 24/7 intricate operation, managed by the plant and logistics team at HS2's contractor Balfour Beatty VINCI (BBV).
(for more detail on Dorothy click little arrow)

This is very good stuff...........Do they ever update the project to budget to completion?

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/hs2-6-monthly-report-to-parliament-march-2022

Appears to be the latest budget. However we are now in recession and I would imagine that the project will be extended in time and or reduced in scope. The Birmingham hub is due to be completed 2029-2033. This is the London to Birmingham Leg. The engineering and archaeological aspects are a triumph, but I'd expect the Treasury to take a hard look at the public finances.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/hs2-6-monthly-report-to-parliament-march-2022

Appears to be the latest budget. However we are now in recession and I would imagine that the project will be extended in time and or reduced in scope. The Birmingham hub is due to be completed 2029-2033. This is the London to Birmingham Leg. The engineering and archaeological aspects are a triumph, but I'd expect the Treasury to take a hard look at the public finances.
Interesting read: I see that the contingency's are already being used. Seems very early on for that, fingers crossed! One of the benefits of projects like this are technological developments that can be applied elsewhere.

Interesting read: I see that the contingency's are already being used. Seems very early on for that, fingers crossed! One of the benefits of projects like this are technological developments that can be applied elsewhere.
I enjoy travelling by train, so if there is any spin-off in trains to other areas of the country, East to West for example then I'd welcome it. Some say the true projected cost of the project is much higher. Lord Berkley gave a dissenting opinion in 2019.
https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/high-speed-2-costs
January 2020 figures.

I can see the scale is epic as an engineering project. Perhaps they could build London-Birmingham and see how that works with the other arms later? It is a pity that such projects become political rather than in the hands of engineers. The real issue is that the economic situation is now very different to 2015 when the costings were done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tunneling has now begun in London (From New Civil engineer)

Contractors working on High Speed 2 (HS2) have powered up a 140m-long 2,000t tunnel boring machine (TBM) and started its 8km journey through West London from West Ruislip to Greenford.
Operated by SCS (Skanska Costain Strabag JV), TBM Sushila - named in honour of local teacher Sushila Hirani - is HS2’s first to commence tunnelling in the capital. An identical machine named Caroline - named after the first professional female astronaut Caroline Herschel - will be launched later this year and follow the same route, creating the twin-bored tunnel towards central London.

Both machines will bore for 22 months straight, only stopping on Christmas day and bank holidays. When they reach their destination at Greenpark Way in Greenford, they will be dismantled and lifted from the ground.

A separate pair of TBMs will be launched in the capital in 2023. These will start from HS2’s Old Oak Common site at Victoria Road and head out towards Greenway Park, where they will connect up with the tunnels being created by Sushila and Caroline. In total, the quartet of TBMs will create 13.5km of twin-bored tunnels between West Ruislip and Old Oak Common.

At a later stage there will be another 7.2km of tunnels bored beneath London to connect Old Oak Common to HS2’s Euston terminus.

HS2 chief executive Mark Thurston said: “The launch of the Tunnel Boring Machines on the longest section of tunnels through London is a significant moment for HS2, and one that demonstrates the momentum that has built behind Britain’s flagship levelling-up project.

“The construction of 170 miles of new high speed railway between London and Crewe is now in full swing, supporting 27,000 jobs, nearly 1,000 apprenticeships and contracts for over 2,500 businesses.”

SCS JV managing director James Richardson said: “Today we start one of the most complex parts of HS2, tunnelling from here at West Ruislip towards Euston beneath one of the busiest cities in the world. The huge team effort has enabled some of the most advanced TBMs ever built to be launched. Our team has brought together world class skills along with developing many new people to the industry working on this crucial national infrastructure project.”

Outside of London, HS2 has already launched three TBMs, with two currently boring the Chiltern tunnels and another having recently completed the Long Itchingdon Wood tunnel.

In total there will be 10 TBMs on the HS2 project - working to create 102km of tunnel between London and the West Midlands including major tunnels on the approach to London and Birmingham. Each TBM is operated by 15 people, working in shifts. A team of around 40 people assembled the TBMs, with 56 companies involved in getting the site ready and machines launched.

Does anyone know if Channel Tunnel trains will be able to access HS2, so that direct transport from Birmingham (and nothern cities later) can have direct access to Europe, or will we still have to traipse across London with our luggage as now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back