• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

how can I find birth parents

sheri

master brummie
Over the years I have looked for the parents of my gt.gt.grandfather - what I don't understand is why when he was born 1795/96 Birmingham - he's there on Family Search but no parents are shown - why arn't they shown? His name is John Blackham.

Also there is a Richard Blackham b.aprrox 1803 also no parents shown.

I think they are brother/cousins as both living in Vale St. in 1841.
Sheri

Hello,

Have you been to the library to check the church registers? Transcribe records on Family Search are not always correct/complete.

Birth certificates are not available until 1837. The problem with parish registers is they are only as good as the person who entered the informaton. I have on occasions used Bishops Transcripts, these were what the church had to supply to the Bishop. Unfortunatley they will be in the Archive at central library which is closed at the moment due to the move.

I have had a trawl through my St Martins discs and could not find John or Richard. I found these which may be of use.

28th Dec 1794 death of Ann Blackham. 30 Nov 1794 death of Benjamin son of John Blackham. Oct 23 1805 baptisim of Mary daughter of Benjamin and Mary Blackham.

Sorry I could not help more.

I had a look at St Martins too and came up with these two marriages, sorry if they confuse you more.

Marriage between Richard Blackham bachelor and Sarah Bartram spinster at St Martins by Banns on 30[SUP]th[/SUP] May 1822, witnesses were William Bartram and James or Jane Blackham. All parties made their mark.

On the 12[SUP]th[/SUP] May 1800 there is a marriage between James Blackham b and Elizabeth Hodgetts s both of the parish of St Martins by Banns witnessed by Sarah Swift and Joseph Ironmonger again all made their mark.

Thank you so much for looking MWS, John, Wendy and Bewdley - it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. i live in London and can't get to Birmingham often.
I may have to give this up as I have been looking for years - I know who both John and Richard married. I have another family with the same problem but the n ames are even worse - John Taylor!! I have to say St. Martins was a guess - I am wondering now if it was St.Phillips as all John's children were baptised there.
Thank you for all your help. I will look at the names you have given me.
Sheri

Back