• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hood John(Jack) Boxer

Re: John(Jack) Hood Boxer

I mixed up Joe Fox & Jack Hood on this thread this a photo of Joe Fox`s shop in Deritend with a Hardings Bakery van outside. Len.

Last edited:

l hope someone out there can help me being as you know all about boxing.....m husbands g/father Lewis Summerfield l understend was a boxer and won quite a few medals cups & belts etc....he boxed in B'ham before ww1 and also boxed for the army....from what l understand while he was away at war all his medals cups etc got stolen....l think he had a gym around victoria rd or there abouts l know it was in aston somewhere, could anyone give me idea where l could find any information to verify this....Brenda

hi i know tha:(t my gran was jack hoods sister,but they had a great fall out,and she would not speak of him,but i would like to now more about ,how many sisters or brothers did he have as i belive most has been lost in history thanks

leechrk, If you put Jack Hood into the search you will find a lot of info

Hi all

Seeing this thread prompted me to ask if anyone out there can answer my query.

My dad born 1920 had a middle name of DIAMOND. We were always told that his dad born 1895 named him in honour of a boxer. I have searched the internet over a few years and never been able to find a boxer with this name either as a surname or christian name. I believe he may have been a publican in later life, perhaps in Acocks Green.

Thanks
Suzanne

Hi Leechrk,

Jack Hood's parents were James Hood (1869) and Harriet Wisedale (1877). He had a half sister called Mary Clarinda (1890). His eldest full sister was Annie (1896). Then followed Gertie (1898), James (1899) and Alice Harriet (1902). The latter was my wife's grandmother.

There were many more brothers and sisters but I have no evidence that James Hood and Harriet ever married! They were not in the habit of registering the births of their children making it difficult to trace them. Bearing this in mind, the others I have pencilled in are: Thomas, Herbert, Harold, Helen, Lily, Violet, Ivy and Denis.

Who was your gran?

hi jmoom,thanks for your help .my gran was mary lizabeth hood born in anthony road alum rock,i belive at in time jack hood was manager of a pub around thereand i belive there house is still standing.kind regards leechrg:D

APOLOGIES to ALL who have contacted me in the past few months with out a response from me. I am quite embarrassed really after you have all been so helpful in the past but technology problems yet again. I promise to catch up at the weekend now I have yet another replacement pc(see how long this one works for).

Regards
Max

Don't know if it helps but Jack Hood was the cousin of my grandad Arthur Moore, who was brought up by his Aunt Alice in Hill Top (West Bromwich).

Wow Alf, you're good, don't suppose you could find Charles Hickmans records could you.. he started on the Fairgrounds, his daughter Annie boxed too on them, but i know he won a boxing belt someone from his side of the family sent me a pic of him with it, he was great friends with Randall Turpin another boxer, thanks

Try this for a start Claire, Charles is mentioned but where you must read it:)

Did he have another Daugter Polly Fairclough she Boxed and they say she was his Daughter

https://www.nfa.dept.shef.ac.uk/history/shows/boxing.html

https://www.womenboxing.com/History3.htm

Last edited:

I just found out about a link to this man .. My grandad used to spar him when he was young.. Apparently he is in my family somewhere. (still looking for the link)
Regards
Rachel..

Rachel: I don'tr know whether this little tit-bit may be of any use to you, but when I was a kid in the Thirties, living in Ashted/Duddeston, the legend was that Jack Hood used to live in Lupin Street. There are real experts on the subject of the "Old End" knocking about on this site so they may be able to confirm this...

Cheers,

Jim pedley (pedlarman)

Cheers Jim..
My grandad died in 1926 so it would have been pre then that he would have known him. If my memory is right he was living in Latimer street around that time.. I don't think that was too far from Lupin Street. Lupin street rings a bell though as i'm sure it crops up in my tree somewhere. I'm going to have to go digging through all my papers. A bit more organisation wouldn't go a miss round this desk of mine ;o)..
Thanks again Jim..
Kind Regards
rachel..

Hi, I would love to hear from any relatives of Jack Hood the boxer. I am his great niece Sarah Short his sister Ellen Georgina born in 1908 was my lovely grandmother. I last spoke to Jack at my grandmother's funeral in 1989. Georgina Hood married charlie Short and had two children Jean and Ronnie my dad, who sadly died aged just 40in 1979. I am to believe that Jack had given my father Ronnie a pair of his old boxing gloves and years later my mother had had a clear out and threw them away by accident.

l hope someone out there can help me being as you know all about boxing.....m husbands g/father Lewis Summerfield l understend was a boxer and won quite a few medals cups & belts etc....he boxed in B'ham before ww1 and also boxed for the army....from what l understand while he was away at war all his medals cups etc got stolen....l think he had a gym around victoria rd or there abouts l know it was in aston somewhere, could anyone give me idea where l could find any information to verify this....Brenda

Brenda, are you sure it was 'Summerfield'? There was was a boxer during the 1920's called Ronnie SUMMERTON .... just a thought ... ?

I dont have anything to do with Jack Hood, but heres a picture of him
Terry

Name: Jack Hood
Birth Name: John Hood
Born: 1902-12-17
Birthplace: United Kingdom
Died: 1992-07-01 (Age:89)
Nationality: United Kingdom
Hometown: Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
Boxing Record: click

Rachel: I don'tr know whether this little tit-bit may be of any use to you, but when I was a kid in the Thirties, living in Ashted/Duddeston, the legend was that Jack Hood used to live in Lupin Street. There are real experts on the subject of the "Old End" knocking about on this site so they may be able to confirm this...

Cheers,

Jim pedley (pedlarman)

My mother who lived in Coleman Street said she used to go to School with Jack Hood's sister. My mother was born in 1914.

My father in law was born in Coleman Street in 1910. and later on lived in Lupin street,he told many stories of Jack Hood living in the area and how he was welcomed back after fights.

Hi I know of a few siblings of Jack Hood the boxer there was Ellen Georgina Hood my grandmother and I knew of a few of her sisters Annie, Alice, Winnie and Violet.

Last edited:

Thank you for posting the picture of Jack I can see the family resemblance ie the jaw line I have the same!

Jack Hood ran the Bell Pub in Tanworth in Arden him and his wife were great hosts. I think his daughter used to work there too. Jack's belt was hung above the bar in the lounge which was only used by the wanabes, everybody else used the bar, where millionares rubbed shoulders and chatted to farm labourers. No class distinction there. I met him in the 60's and he looked like he could handle himself still.

Hi Sarah, I have just seen your post about Jack Hood. My wife's grandmother was Alice Harriet Hood, born 1901, Jack Hood's older sister. I have traced the Hood's family tree to the beginning of the 19thC.
I had some difficulty listing Jack's siblings because few of them were registered ar birth. My mother-in-law, Evelyn Alice Higgins (nee Hood) is still alive (just!) and there are photos in her album of the older Hoods. There is also a photo of Jack Hood with Denis Howell (local MP and Minister of Sport) taken in 1970. If you would like to see them, let me know. Do you have a photo of Ellen Georgina or any of the younger siblings?
John

Hi John, Yes I have A few photos of my Grandmother Ellen Georgina! I have lost touch with her daughter Jean Zein my aunt as I suppose she would have all the photographs and many of Jack hood. I can remember my nan showing me a lot of his photographs when I was a child. I would love to see any pictures that you may have as I would love to trace my family although I do not have a clue where to start.
I need to trace Jean last I heard of her she was living in ellen's flat in erdinghton, that was over twenty years ago when nan died. I loved ellen Georgina she was a lovely nan she really was.

Jack Hood was a legend down our end (Aston),he was regarded as a working class hero,I would love to claim he was a part of my family.
He had broken his hands so often,that he fought his later bouts one handed,to protect his right hand,other than this ,as I recall from my elders,he would easily have been a world champion.

Hi Ray, I know I am so proud to be related to Jack and I would love to learn more about the Hoods if anyone can help me please do!

JohnO..have just reread this thread again....and in answer to your question 1-4-11, my husbands g/father was definatly Lewis Summerfield, he boxed before ww1 and l believed he boxed for the RWR, unfortunatly he was injured in the war and that put an end to his boxing career but l understand he had a gym around Victoria Road or there abouts in Aston....l'm really trying tp get as much info on him as possible.....Brenda

Back