• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Holidays of the past

Can't remember whether I've posted this before but it's at New Brighton Lido (now sadly lost to storms), around summer 1948 - who remembers knitted swimsuits? They got longer with the water and were always still damp when you came to put them on the next day.

Attachments

• New Brighton.jpg
    New Brighton.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 12
most school summer holidays i went to stop with my gran and grandad in Derbyshire. my gran looked like grannie off the hill billies show.
grandad was smashing he had a job with the local council as a rd sweeper becouse ww1 som took its toll on him i had most days i spent mooching around the woods hoping to see Robin hood or going Blackberry picking i cant remember seeing any cars, the milk was del by horse and cart you had to go out with a jug and the man filled it. the house had no electric lights only gas a huge lamp hung from the ceiling and kitchen.
bedrooms had none you used a candle prob why i liked going there.

I always fancied staying at one of these two hotels, during my early trips to Weston, the first is The Grand Atlantic (pictures 1 & 2) and I did get to stay in the second one (The Royal Hotel pictures 3 & 4) thirty odd years ago:

1695561784702.png 1695561948139.png 1695562259286.png 1695562413609.png 1695563052232.png1695563152652.png 1695563188968.png

I thought I would put this on here in response to Kat's comment in the Garden 2024 thread on Saturday.
I/we adore Scotland. The first visit I made was in 1956 when I went by train to visit a friend in Nairn who I had met while in the RAF. I went on overnight train and about 5'30 am on a lovely sunny day went into the corridor [do you remember those on the trains]. The sight is still vivid to me now. We were just passing the Cairngorms and there were a herd of deer prancing about. What a beautiful sight. I could spend hours telling of the wonderful holidays spent there. The following year to our marriage,1966, we went up to visit John again. After that we went every 3/4 years to different areas of Scotland. Because of age and inability to drive such a long distance we have had many coach holidays up there. In the many times we have visited we have only had three holidays spoilt by rain. I always said that when I retired I would retire to Grantown on Spey but never came off.
In my mind the only place to compare to Scotland is Austria

Back