• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Holborn Hill

Interesting map Lyn. How old is it as it doesn't show the office block in Thimblemill Lane where I used to work for Radiation Gas Fires, down at the bottom opposite Bourne Road.
The factory is there referred to as Essex works, which it was referred to in my day in 1967 to 1973.
It was known as John Wrights before Radiation.

dated 1902 but it could have been a year or two before it went to print so maybe 1900/1901

lyn

john is this any good...i know its longacre running down and holborn hill across as my sisters house now stands on the waste ground on the right corner which i believe is where the white swan pub stood

lyn

View attachment 127098
I'm struggling to understand where that row of houses (down the middle of the picture with the factories behind) is situated on either the 1902 or 1950 map, any ideas?

thought this should also be on this thread as well..nice shot of the white horse pub corner of holborn hill/longacre..thanks to brummy lad for this one

white horse longacre.jpg

The low bridge at the junction of Holburn Hill and Thimble Mill Lane. I see it's still there.
Aston Holburn Hill.JPG

Looking down Holburn Hill from just above Plume Street, So I assume that the photographer must have been on the bridge over Hockley Brook.

Nechells Holburn Hill.JPG

Interesting to see the Essex works, gas engineers is also in Holborn Hill as well as Thimblemill Lane on your 1950 map Mike. I don't remember the Radiation being on the other side of the railway when I worked there 1967 to 1973. I also don't remember the spur line that went along the back of the Thimblemill Lane factory and crossing over Thimblemill Lane in use during my time there.
Was I just not observant.

Here is map marked c1966-1977 . approximately the same layout. Maps show all rail lines, including those perhaps not in use

map c1966-1977 junc holbornhill and long acre.jpg

Hi. My dad owns gee house on the corner of Holborn hill and long ache. He has the deeds of buildings throughout the years. If you let me know what you are looking for I can see how I can help.

Hi. My dad owns gee house on the corner of Holborn hill and long ache. He has the deeds of buildings throughout the years. If you let me know what you are looking for I can see how I can help.
Hi Kim,

Would you have any photos of the housing on Holborn hill? Im trying to get some for the Mother-in-law who grew up there ? She currently has terminal Cancer & would like to see it again. Unfortunately I live in scotland so can't get to the Library in Brum.

Is anyone still on this thread? I'm researching my family tree and have rellies Henry Marlow, hairdresser and wife kezia and kids Wilfred, Ada and Dora living at 7 Holborn Hill Rd in 1891 census.

The wall was originally built around 1900 as part of the Essex works of John Wright & Eagle Range Ltd. It manufactured gas stoves, heaters and other gas equipment.
Thank you for posting this information. I currently work at presslite and had been looking for information on what it used to be as my great grandfather Whos now 96 said that he worked for John Wright as a apprentice when he was 17 along with his mother and had described a building to me that sounded a lot like where I work. This has just confirmed to me that I am now working in the exact building that my great Grandad and Grea Great grandma worked in in the 40’s

i remember John wright having a foundry all down holborn hill on the left lookin down hill we used to get the casting runners to use as jack stones off them there was a loading bay half way down holburn hill to the foundry. also john wright had a sports ground that run close to the loco shed entrances in long acre and thimblemill lane that we played on in the 50s/60slong acre map 2.gif

Hi all. Where the old map shows Sutton Works my wife worked about there in the early sixties for a firm called Prices Electric Fires where all types of fires were assembled . I used to pick her up most evenings after work and while waiting I would be entertained by the goings on at the scrap yard opposite
regards Acklam19.

Back