• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hockley Abbey

thanks mike....would you happen to have a map showing where the abbey was please...

Older maps which have it on do not relate very well to more modern ones because of the addition of many streets. However the map below shows the approx. position of it in red

hockley_abbey_map.jpg

hi terry...ive got the same photo but its dated 1868...my date could be wrong but cant be sure

lyn

Hi Lyn, yours is probably right. I take dated photos with a pinch of salt to be honest, there's been too many that has been wrong.

Regarding mikejees map, I used to live in Park Rd right opposite Whitmore St.

Terry

Hi Lyn, yours is probably right. I take dated photos with a pinch of salt to be honest, there's been too many that has been wrong.

Regarding mikejees map, I used to live in Park Rd right opposite Whitmore St.

Terry

same here terry always take the dates with pinch of salt...as mike said according to bill dargue the abbey was demolished in 1871 so it looks like my date is correct

lyn

Hi Carolina,

What a fantastic image! Would it be possible to use this in our project please? We'll be able to credit you on the site. If this sounds good to you, do you have as high resolution as possible?

Many thanks,

Matthew

Back