• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hobbies 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the opposite problem, many years ago I yearned for a model railway being denied one as a child, but my boys were not interested, now as a retirement present, I was given a Flying Scotsmen complete set and do not know what to do with it, it is currently gathering dust in my someday cupboard.
Bob
Yes Bob, that is what I am a little afraid of. I want to make sure that my level of interest is really there before I jump in. I had an electric train when I was 10/11 but never did much, maybe lack of funds. Going to keep looking at the Forums feedback and a couple of hobby stores and decide at some point.

I collected OO/HO for some years, mainly French, plus the odd Belgian and German item. I also collected an amount of GWR and some British goods stock. I never built a layout.
I sold it all in 2003 and bought my first computer - a rather good one with monitor and printer. Thanks to the pc I was able discover large scale trains.
It took almost three months to build my garden railway, but it has been extended and altered since.

I collected OO/HO for some years, mainly French, plus the odd Belgian and German item. I also collected an amount of GWR and some British goods stock. I never built a layout.
I sold it all in 2003 and bought my first computer - a rather good one with monitor and printer. Thanks to the pc I was able discover large scale trains.
It took almost three months to build my garden railway, but it has been extended and altered since.
I am in the discovery stage right now. There are so many options available. I am quite handy with tools etc and have a good assortment. My problem is not so much skill set as Spargone pointed out is that I have arthritis in my hands and feet and while I can still get around and do plenty of things, your garden railway would exceed my limits. By the way I would love to do something like that and have the ideal place for it.

it the a web site or company that specializes in GWR trains and rolling stock? I would appreciate anything you could share!

I have the opposite problem, many years ago I yearned for a model railway being denied one as a child, but my boys were not interested, now as a retirement present, I was given a Flying Scotsmen complete set and do not know what to do with it, it is currently gathering dust in my someday cupboard.
Bob
i do give it too me:grinning:
:grinning:

Well I see your points TerryD147, I'd agree with cost and the fitting , some of the experts though that you see on You Tube make it look very easy . Another thing if I had 64 loco's , I think as opposed to DCC , I'd be looking round for a new house
Thanks Mac

I'm not going to admit to how many locos I possess, but I believe that we are known as "locoholics!" It's what comes of carrying on building them and not selling any.

Bob
I never had a Triang Stephenson's Rocket, I didn't fancy it at the time as it didn't fit what I was doing. When the new one was announced I put in an advanced order. I had ideas going through my mind like a Curzon Street type terminal, wagon turntables etc.
Then it arrived: Extremly fragile, fixed plastic chain couplings etc. All ideas of automated turntables and coupling out of the window! It might end up in a static diorama... or the box!

i have had experiances like that.i would dream of what i would do with it. when it arrived i knew exactly when it did i put it in the skip.:mad:

Yes, I understand that other posts in this thread have given the explanation as to what the "jug handles" mean, but not all Imperial Petrels had them. Mine certainly doesn't.
You are right some did not have them depending on the model of the frame that they built. But even so, yours is worth keeping

Yes, I understand that other posts in this thread have given the explanation as to what the "jug handles" mean, but not all Imperial Petrels had them. Mine certainly doesn't.
some did some did not even so keep yours its a classic

I never had a Triang Stephenson's Rocket, I didn't fancy it at the time as it didn't fit what I was doing. When the new one was announced I put in an advanced order. I had ideas going through my mind like a Curzon Street type terminal, wagon turntables etc.
Then it arrived: Extremly fragile, fixed plastic chain couplings etc. All ideas of automated turntables and coupling out of the window! It might end up in a static diorama... or the box!
I think your model is not alone. Some of the more recent Hornby models are beautifully detailed, but some of the bits fall off as soon as you take them out of the box! Worse if you try and take the chassis out of the body (for routine maintenance) you finish up destroying even more of the detail.

It makes me nostalgic for the old Hornby Dublo or Triang models of the 1950/60s which were indestructible.

I think your model is not alone. Some of the more recent Hornby models are beautifully detailed, but some of the bits fall off as soon as you take them out of the box! Worse if you try and take the chassis out of the body (for routine maintenance) you finish up destroying even more of the detail.

It makes me nostalgic for the old Hornby Dublo or Triang models of the 1950/60s which were indestructible.
New HORNBY.GRRRRRRRR i dont think you are suppose to to take them apart for maintainance now.you just bin them and buy another new one. :(..bachman are not too bad. the class 158 i bought was shear tat i sent it back in disgust

QUESTION: If one were going to start a model train hobby would it be O or OO gauge? I have had a Hornby OO and an old windup (clockwork) O gauge. I have no preconceived notions. I would appreciate any thoughts/ideas/pluses & minuses!

Thank you!
Me as a new rail modeller I would have to go for the 00 version as I'm a creature of habit . When I was a nipper I used to play with a kid that had got a 00 layout . I after all those years ago latched on to 00 , one reason being that we regularly bought the small Airfix characters which ranged from civilians plus umpteen types of soldiers etc which fitted hand in glove with 00 layouts

Me as a new rail modeller I would have to go for the 00 version as I'm a creature of habit . When I was a nipper I used to play with a kid that had got a 00 layout . I after all those years ago latched on to 00 , one reason being that we regularly bought the small Airfix characters which ranged from civilians plus umpteen types of soldiers etc which fitted hand in glove with 00 layouts
It's always a trade-off. If you model in N (2mm/ft) you get 4 times as much railway in a given area compared to 00 (4mm/ft). However models of any given loco/coach/truck are almost as expensive in N as they are in 00, which always strikes me as a bit of a cheat. Conversely, modelling in 0 gauge (7mm/ft) gives you good chunky models with gravitas, but until recently 0 gauge modelling required much more kit/scratch building than 00, so was very expensive & time-consuming.
Recently, however, there has been a growth in the number of ready-to-run 0 gauge locos and stock, which has made 0 gauge a much more economic proposition. There is still only a small range of locos/stock available and these are mostly of smaller prototypes, so if you really wanted to model in 0 gauge, you are encouraged by the fact that they are more likely to be able to fit into a smaller area.

My own experience has been that 00 gauge is the best compromise; it's large enough to have some "presence", but small enough to give you reasonable size trains within a modest area. Plus also choosing a UK prototype means there is a greater variety available now than there has ever been. You pays yer money and yer takes yer choice!

At the end of the day, however, the choice is your own

Dion, did you look at any other options or did your feel that the 00 version was for you because you like and had the Airfix characters? I am starting with a clean sheet of paper and listening to folks that have a great history with model rail roading. So far today we have gone from Petes Z to Alan’s wonderful garden model.

It's always a trade-off. If you model in N (2mm/ft) you get 4 times as much railway in a given area compared to 00 (4mm/ft). However models of any given loco/coach/truck are almost as expensive in N as they are in 00, which always strikes me as a bit of a cheat. Conversely, modelling in 0 gauge (7mm/ft) gives you good chunky models with gravitas, but until recently 0 gauge modelling required much more kit/scratch building than 00, so was very expensive & time-consuming.
Recently, however, there has been a growth in the number of ready-to-run 0 gauge locos and stock, which has made 0 gauge a much more economic proposition. There is still only a small range of locos/stock available and these are mostly of smaller prototypes, so if you really wanted to model in 0 gauge, you are encouraged by the fact that they are more likely to be able to fit into a smaller area.

My own experience has been that 00 gauge is the best compromise; it's large enough to have some "presence", but small enough to give you reasonable size trains within a modest area. Plus also choosing a UK prototype means there is a greater variety available now than there has ever been. You pays yer money and yer takes yer choice!

At the end of the day, however, the choice is your own
Terry, thank you for that! I was leaning toward 00 gage until is saw and started to reflect on Alans garden railway. Being in the US I am going to do a little more research now that my eyes have been opened. There are a lot of UK and European trains here I just need to understand it some more.
What I do appreciate is the passion you all have for this activity!

Terry, thank you for that! I was leaning toward 00 gage until is saw and started to reflect on Alans garden railway. Being in the US I am going to do a little more research now that my eyes have been opened. There are a lot of UK and European trains here I just need to understand it some more.
the g gauge is great if you have plenty of garden space and dosh:grinning:

Dion, did you look at any other options or did your feel that the 00 version was for you because you like and had the Airfix characters? I am starting with a clean sheet of paper and listening to folks that have a great history with model rail roading. So far today we have gone from Petes Z to Alan’s wonderful garden model.
Although the figures have long gone now, 00 is for me the ideal size for my application ie loft space . Plus the factor of habit in the equation, So that’s my choice , my scratch build etc efforts will hence be guided by 4mm to the ft

Richard, I draw your attention to the following large scale forums: Large Scale Central and My Large Scale. Both are US places; There are others but not as active, I am a Member of both;
Bachmann USA, USA Trains are still going but Aristocraft has ceased trading - though these a lot second hand. Most of my models are Aristocraft.
I am not into expensive stuff or live steam.
1636541342221.jpeg

Richard, I draw your attention to the following large scale forums: Large Scale Central and My Large Scale. Both are US places; There are others but not as active, I am a Member of both;
Bachmann USA, USA Trains are still going but Aristocraft has ceased trading - though these a lot second hand. Most of my models are Aristocraft.
I am not into expensive stuff or live steam.
View attachment 163609
Alan, particularly like your last sentence! It seems if we(I) are not carful have a tendency to carried away at bit!

I must tell you gents at the moment , I’m coming to the assembly point of a gypsy ledge vardo caravan built entirely of matchsticks . With my own design windows in wood as opposed to what comes in the kit of coloured paper windows and curtains .

Mac, I cheated and bought one ready -made from an antique sale! I intend to fit the inside with leftover pieces from my dollshouse as it's 12th scale. So far there are buckets kettles and pans and a little rug I embroidered some years ago when my fingers still let me.
My husband tried to do the Mary Rose matchstick kit but somehow it twisted as the base was cardboard.
rosie.

Mac, I cheated and bought one ready -made from an antique sale! I intend to fit the inside with leftover pieces from my dollshouse as it's 12th scale. So far there are buckets kettles and pans and a little rug I embroidered some years ago when my fingers still let me.
My husband tried to do the Mary Rose matchstick kit but somehow it twisted as the base was cardboard.
rosie.
Rosie I appreciate your efforts , your hubby must have been very depleted when the ship twisted . My main problem on my model was having laid the matchsticks and glued them for the roof the main ache was trying to bend almost to a semi circle but a few degrees less 180 . I had to make myself a couple of card board frames with the shape cut into the middle . then slide the roof through gingerly and hope it takes to the shape

i have a big bottle of good pva.but to me it takes a bit too long to dry.for delicate items. so i use industrial super glue.
As a retired pro modelmaker I used PVA adhesive all the time and it sets fast enough to hold items in place, however it has to be of good quality and labelled as 'interior & exterior grade. The cheap stuff in Poundland and the Works etc is no good at all and too watered down so you have to pay around £6 for 500ml bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back