• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hobbies 2015 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im well impressed with that. The handel is a handel that looks realistic. Perhaps you may wish to have a go turning a photo into a 3d walkthrough at some stage.

You may bealbe to create a 3d walkaround too
I'm not sure I could do that. I still haven't yet made a decent cup !
I find with this 3D stuff, two hours flash by as if they were two minutes.

Using the 3D Builder app (comes free with Windows10 or from Microsoft Store) I looked at someone's 3D car model and discovered I could dismantle it as shown below. I was amazed at the detail.

In post#240 I had my first go with 'Blender' modelling a cup .. not much good ... problems with the handle.
Now just one more pic showing my second attempt. The handle is still not quite right (sticks out too far) but like pottery-making it is difficult to alter once made. Blender is an amazing app ... hundreds of buttons to click on ...:)

Last edited:
As long as you do not put your finger in the blender
I think I've got a touch of repetitive strain injury in my mouse finger because there are lots of mouse movements.

I try to keep fit with walking and exercise and find programs like Blender give my memory a good workout. With the handiness of tablets and iPhones I have lately tended to let Google do a lot of remembering for me.

When I looked inside my teapot I noticed a design flaw ... the handle was hollow ! ...:oops:

Going back twenty years or more I recall watching my son in law who was a computer wizard and programme writer sit down at a keyboard and produce something like you teapot in just a few minutes using only the keys.
I'm always impressed by the talents of these 'geeks'
My daughter and he worked for GCHQ where she managed a team who set up the NSA for the internet and he continued his work for the British Embassy and the Pentagon.
Sadly he had a brain haemorrhage a couple of years ago and has lost all of his capabilities.

Sorry for the delay to everyone. I have started a new job, 6 weeks training so haven't been around. I cant see any tapestry taking place soon.

Remember when Dads made toys. on their Freetwork machine like this one , Thats was a real hobby. BUT have to admit I like the new high tech stuff also

Attachments

• 10408661_1177179872309865_1071056459279964850_n.jpg
    10408661_1177179872309865_1071056459279964850_n.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 10
Hi John,

My parents couldn't afford to buy me the machine, just a hand fretsaw, and it wasn't half as much fun and my interest soon waned in favour of stamp collecting and other hobbies.

Maurice

My dad's trade became his hobby, he apprenticed as a cabinet maker but at the end of his apprenticeship there were no jobs so he went into engineering (Wolseley Sheep Shearing) and stayed there all his working life.
His woodworking skills were used in his hobby, he made toys, doll's houses, sewing boxes and anything else that was needed.
I still have a telephone seat, couple of stools, an ironing board, a couple of display stands he made for my shop (for fresh fruit and veg), I use them now as tool boxes in my workshop.
Another skill he had was leatherwork, he bought cow hides and turned them into briefcases and he always repaired our shoes.

A quick use of the search tool shows that less than a dozen members have expressed an interest in amateur radio or short wave listening, and at least one of those members sadly passed away not so long ago. I was just wondering how many of those members have dabbled with SDR (software defined radio) currently or in the past? I'll elaborate if I get any responses! :)

Maurice

Yes, I have used SDR a couple of times but currently there is no programme on my pc's. Echolink is more selective.

Hi Alan,

I guessed I'd hear from you! :) My interest in such areas as communications died out shortly after I left the RAF and then music took over, followed by business and computers. But then recently I came upon a few articles on SDR, & mentioned them to my ex-bass player in Bournemouth (a dormant licensed amateur who mainly occupies his retirement these days with audio electronics projects & local history) and he has taken an interest.

Finally I mentioned it to a friend of mine here, who is the only fully-licensed Brit amateur on Crete with a resident Greek callsign. He'd dabbled, but preferred to twiddle knobs on his conventional gear rather than use a mouse. He's also got a nice antenna farm on high ground with no restrictions, whereas we live at the base of a wide valley at around 800ft asl. We also are at a disadvanatge because we come within the boundary of a "traditional Greek village" - rather like living in a UK national park, you can't just throw up an antenna tower without going through a difficult planning process with masses of restrictions.

Anyway my friend has given me long term use of his W-SDRX1-MK3 and it's now installed on my PC, but with a mere 20 feet or so of old telephone wire tied to the pergola as a temporary antenna just to test it. Of course, it will pick up the usual Greek FM broadcasts on the island, but not a lot else and is pretty useless on HF. Accordingly a 100m reel of lightweight stealth brown antenna wire is on its way and I should be able to keep that easily hidden and at a reasonable height! If enough people want to engage in such a discussion, then I could set up a conversation and take it out of the public Hobbies thread.

Maurice

Maurice, I was a radio AM during my time in the RAF (1948 - 56), being a wireless operator it seemed to follow, also being a wireless op exempted us from the test/exam, I was more interested in morse code than voice communication, my interest waned when I was demobbed although I still listened to short wave stations to keep my morse code skills going. Learning morse code is like riding a bike, you never forget Eric

Eric,

I never got to the point where I could get any decent speed as I was a wireless mechanic doing repairs rather than an operator. Although the base had an amateur radio club (G3ITZ), few people used morse and there were more discussions about the engineering aspects. Also, as I was on permanent nightshift, most had gone to bed by the time I came off shift at 1:00am! :) As the base was near Market Drayton, the attraction to go home to Brum at weekends was far more for me than it was to guys whose homes were in places like Inverness!

Maurice

Maurice, after I was 'grounded' due to a weak right eye I was at Bletchley , a main signal centre where I took messages at 25 wpm (words per minute) on a type writer. Still preferred flying though. Eric

I'm sure you did, Eric, and as they say, anything is better than a desk job! Giving up driving was a decision I did not take lightly, as going up into the mountains here was something we loved to do during the hot summer months, when it is so much cooler and interesting up there. The trade-offs of old age in this case!

You're doing well and long may you continue to do so.

Maurice :cool:

Hi all,
I am a frustrated woodworker - a very frustrated amateur woodworker!. I have been trying to find a UK supplier local or otherwise, of `flat top` tablesaw blades. All I seem to find even though I always put `UK` in my search, are USA suppliers. Does anyone know of anyone who does deal with these type of blades. Thank You in advance.
cresser.

Hi Cresser,

I'm not sure where you are based, but if you have a Lidl supermarket close by, they have them among there specials several times a year.

Maurice

Last edited:
I am assuming that your looking for a Flat Top Grind (FTG) with no bevel angle as opposed to an Alternate Top Bevel (ATB). Is there a specific reason you want this for?

If not, them there are quite a few combination blades that have both and will cut a flat bottom kerf or try a rip blade say 30 tpi.

Amazon sell Freud Pro blades, they are excellent. Axminster tools also sell their own brand, Axcalliber. They may have a FTG.

Tewksbury Saws have a good range to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back