• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hobbies 2015 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm amazed at the detail that springs out when B&W photos are coloured in. Brings it all alive. You could almost be there. Must be how people felt when they first saw colour films.
Viv.

I used to watch my Gran crochet, I tried to follow patterns but found it difficult but nevertheless I managed to make garments. Recently I decided I should learn to do it properly and with the help of internet and some basic books I'm working out what all those funny codes mean. It's never too late to learn!!
It's also helping my arthritic fingers. I had to give up embroidery as I found it painful to grip the needle for long, I do manage the mending though!
rosie.

excellent rose....i was only saying to my sister yesterday thats its never too late to learn...enjoy:)

lyn

It appears that men are in the hole, so whatever they are doing is causing interest. As for the well dressed kids, I guess they are, after all they all have socks on! :D

I think there was a filled-in canal basin on that site. The snapped-off tree behind the man leaning over the barrier looks strange but it was in the original pic ....:)

I think this must be the report of the Broad Street display. Viv.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 6
I think this must be the report of the Broad Street display. Viv.
View attachment 125269
Unlike the children in post#156, the children in the pic in post#161 were reportedly interested in looking at the German aircraft. Maybe bombers were not so interesting as fighters !
index.php

forum image (only visible if logged in) from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...wned-german-aircraft.28646/page-2#post-555569

Last edited:
My husbands neice studied Art therapy at Derby university.

The idea that Art helps to relieve stress, depression and anxiety has only been embraced by the UK medical profession in the last few years but
as with every other therapy the Americans have been using it for many years.

I find Jigsaws have a relaxing effect, but I think I may give the colouring books a go., on dark winter afternoons.

Alberta , with respect if the USA had been doing anything for a number of years , their example is the last one I'd follow

QUOTE=cookie273uk;555698]Have not seen the books but as an avid water colour painter I find painting so relaxing a hobby/occupation, taking my mind of any worries/problems. Recommend it to any one. Eric
Thanks Eric. Andrew Marr, the TV presenter who had a stroke a couple of years ago, also recommends drawing and painting as a relaxing hobby. The point he makes is that drawing/painting can be relaxing at any level. You don't need to try to be a Picasso or Rembrandt. Andrew Marr also presented a programme a week or so ago in which he showed that Winston Churchill greatly enjoyed painting and that it lessened his "black dog" moods. I have now bought one of those art therapy colouring books and will let you know how I get on. Dave.[/QUOTE]

I've dabbled a bit with drawing and both oils and watercolour painting , I seem to be better drawing than painting my subjects are archive pic's out of newspapers , then some are my own ideas from the brain . Apart from that I like gardening and I also have an allotment where I grow my own veg that's been very productive for my first year . I've just ordered more seed potatoes and seeds for 2019 , after working on the allotment there is nothing like getting home and getting the pencils out .

To while away the long winter evenings I've started using my laptop to paint colour on to old street pics. I chose the one below because it reminds me of my teenage years. I had a bit of fun with that man on the right, he hides his face in the first pic, but not in the colour pic. I suppose if I did twelve pics I could make a calendar .... all done with freebie apps ...:)
View attachment 120179
View attachment 120180

OM We're all at loggerheads here what street in Birmingham was this because about four of us have different opinions

I read that Adolf Hitler dabbled in Watercolours, also Prince Charles and Tony Curtis (actor) to name a few, Tony Curtis's paintings are excellent, I have seen one or two. It is an ideal hobby. There are amateur painting societies springing up all over the place, I used to give demo's and workshops at one or two and they mostly consisted of retired people keen to learn the techniques. Eric

Eric,

I think that many people "have a go" at sometime in their lives, but the majority, having decided that they don't have the talent, give it up and opt for some other way to express their talents. I gave up art during my schooldays and instead went for woodwork & technical drawing. In my case I think that was the wisest choice!

Maurice

I gave it a try when younger always took a sketch pad with me when cycling.

Attachments

• Johns painting 1950s 001.jpg
    Johns painting 1950s 001.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 11
I read that Adolf Hitler dabbled in Watercolours, also Prince Charles and Tony Curtis (actor) to name a few, Tony Curtis's paintings are excellent, I have seen one or two. It is an ideal hobby. There are amateur painting societies springing up all over the place, I used to give demo's and workshops at one or two and they mostly consisted of retired people keen to learn the techniques. Eric

Cookie Ronnie Wood of The Rolling Stones he shakes a mean brush , one of his bog standard paintings will cost you £100k and upwards

Yes Williamstreeter, that's because he was a member of the Rolling Stones, you would pay the same for Winston Churchills or Prince Charles (if they were for sale), you are paying for the name not the excellence of the work. Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back